Tips on dry camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Tips on dry camping

During our recent 6 nights away we were dry camping in 35F weather. Would appreciate tips regarding kitchen/hygiene/washroom/germ control please.
FYI loved, loved, loved our propane furnace!

Old 12-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2004, 2012 F-150 FX4 Coyote V8 ( 2018 Escape 21 in June! )
We stumbled onto, via the Casita Forum, the wonderful "WAG" bag. It's a heavy plastic bag used by the military for human waste. Sounds strange, but once you get used to them, they are just great. You don't even need a black tank when using them. They even include TP and wet wipe in each package. They are especially useful when winter camping. Just search for "WAG Bag" ( ebay ) to find them. The green military ones seem the heaviest. Don't pay more than $1.25 - ish for each bag. The higher quantity you order the cheaper they get. They really work great. You just place the large bag containing the absorbent gel in your toilet, lower the seat, then do your business. After that you bag it up ( twist it and tie it ) and place that dirty bag inside the included giant "ziplock" bag. Very sanitary, clean and convenient once you get the hang of it. You can dispose of them in any garbage container or dumpster.

thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn L View Post
During our recent 6 nights away we were dry camping in 35F weather. Would appreciate tips regarding kitchen/hygiene/washroom/germ control please.
FYI loved, loved, loved our propane furnace!
We carry personal wipes as well as anti-bacterial hand soap.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We mostly cook outside unless the weather disallows it, though breakfast is often indoors. We only rely of propane for cooking which works great boondocking.

We mostly use a toilet away from the trailer as much as possible, even if just a pit one, though will use the one onboard for nighttime use or sometimes if we are inside anyway. Saves on filling the tank for longer stays. Trees also work good for us fellows.

Neither one of use is terribly fussed about hygiene when camping, and very rarely will use the shower when boondocking. To wash up daily we fill a dish pan with hot water, and do a quick wash, with a full sponge bath every few days. Of course, washing a few times a day can happen depending on the tasks at had. I love to go for a swim too, even in quite cold water, very refreshing. I don't have germs.

Dish water goes into the bushes when boondocking, but not at a campground.

Most of this reasoning has to do with not filling the waste tanks, and preserving water.

The best thing you can do is to just continue to do it. Great to see you enjoyed the experience. Experience alone will be your best way of learning what works best for you, as what works for one may not for another.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #5

Trailer: None
We carry a bottle of hand sanitizer in our trailer's bathroom and kitchen plus I carry a bottle in my truck for use at the dump station.
We also carry personal wipes.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
To me "dry camping" is just that, no water in the plumbing or tanks. Not to be confused with no hookups or boondocking.

We use the CG's facilities for everything. I do like the WAG idea for night use.

We have a couple wash basins for the dishes.

I have not camped in a place with no facilities when it was below freezing.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
To me "dry camping" is just that, no water in the plumbing or tanks. Not to be confused with no hookups or boondocking.
I see dry camping as no hookups myself. No hookups and boondocking are two different things though. No hookups can be at many a campground that just has no services on your site, whereas camping in the boondocks means away from a campground, out in the boonies. Both are mostly the same with how you deal with things though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We carry a bottle of hand sanitizer in our trailer's bathroom and kitchen plus I carry a bottle in my truck for use at the dump station.
We also carry personal wipes.
Hi: steve dunham... Your avatar states you don't have a trailer. Your "Hand sanitizer in our trailers bathroom and kitchen" must be another of that pesky Wash. DC fake news!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Here is a good link to cleaning dishes in the backcountry and handling the grey water: https://thesummitregister.com/keepin...ing-etiquette/
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I know the WAG bags are popular with the Quartzite Dome Rock gathering crowd.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote