Tips on dry camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Tips on dry camping

During our recent 6 nights away we were dry camping in 35F weather. Would appreciate tips regarding kitchen/hygiene/washroom/germ control please.
FYI loved, loved, loved our propane furnace!
Old 12-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

We stumbled onto, via the Casita Forum, the wonderful "WAG" bag. It's a heavy plastic bag used by the military for human waste. Sounds strange, but once you get used to them, they are just great. You don't even need a black tank when using them. They even include TP and wet wipe in each package. They are especially useful when winter camping. Just search for "WAG Bag" ( ebay ) to find them. The green military ones seem the heaviest. Don't pay more than $1.25 - ish for each bag. The higher quantity you order the cheaper they get. They really work great. You just place the large bag containing the absorbent gel in your toilet, lower the seat, then do your business. After that you bag it up ( twist it and tie it ) and place that dirty bag inside the included giant "ziplock" bag. Very sanitary, clean and convenient once you get the hang of it. You can dispose of them in any garbage container or dumpster.
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn L View Post
During our recent 6 nights away we were dry camping in 35F weather. Would appreciate tips regarding kitchen/hygiene/washroom/germ control please.
FYI loved, loved, loved our propane furnace!
We carry personal wipes as well as anti-bacterial hand soap.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We mostly cook outside unless the weather disallows it, though breakfast is often indoors. We only rely of propane for cooking which works great boondocking.

We mostly use a toilet away from the trailer as much as possible, even if just a pit one, though will use the one onboard for nighttime use or sometimes if we are inside anyway. Saves on filling the tank for longer stays. Trees also work good for us fellows.

Neither one of use is terribly fussed about hygiene when camping, and very rarely will use the shower when boondocking. To wash up daily we fill a dish pan with hot water, and do a quick wash, with a full sponge bath every few days. Of course, washing a few times a day can happen depending on the tasks at had. I love to go for a swim too, even in quite cold water, very refreshing. I don't have germs.

Dish water goes into the bushes when boondocking, but not at a campground.

Most of this reasoning has to do with not filling the waste tanks, and preserving water.

The best thing you can do is to just continue to do it. Great to see you enjoyed the experience. Experience alone will be your best way of learning what works best for you, as what works for one may not for another.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We carry a bottle of hand sanitizer in our trailer's bathroom and kitchen plus I carry a bottle in my truck for use at the dump station.
We also carry personal wipes.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
To me "dry camping" is just that, no water in the plumbing or tanks. Not to be confused with no hookups or boondocking.

We use the CG's facilities for everything. I do like the WAG idea for night use.

We have a couple wash basins for the dishes.

I have not camped in a place with no facilities when it was below freezing.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
To me "dry camping" is just that, no water in the plumbing or tanks. Not to be confused with no hookups or boondocking.
I see dry camping as no hookups myself. No hookups and boondocking are two different things though. No hookups can be at many a campground that just has no services on your site, whereas camping in the boondocks means away from a campground, out in the boonies. Both are mostly the same with how you deal with things though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We carry a bottle of hand sanitizer in our trailer's bathroom and kitchen plus I carry a bottle in my truck for use at the dump station.
We also carry personal wipes.
Hi: steve dunham... Your avatar states you don't have a trailer. Your "Hand sanitizer in our trailers bathroom and kitchen" must be another of that pesky Wash. DC fake news!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
Here is a good link to cleaning dishes in the backcountry and handling the grey water: https://thesummitregister.com/keepin...ing-etiquette/
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I know the WAG bags are popular with the Quartzite Dome Rock gathering crowd.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I know the WAG bags are popular with the Quartzite Dome Rock gathering crowd.
We started using them in the winter, but liked them so much, we continued.
Our black tank never sees #2 now, which is very nice. Of course, we use campground
facilities when available.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
We stumbled onto, via the Casita Forum, the wonderful "WAG" bag. It's a heavy plastic bag used by the military for human waste. Sounds strange, but once you get used to them, they are just great. You don't even need a black tank when using them. They even include TP and wet wipe in each package. They are especially useful when winter camping. Just search for "WAG Bag" ( ebay ) to find them. The green military ones seem the heaviest. Don't pay more than $1.25 - ish for each bag. The higher quantity you order the cheaper they get. They really work great. You just place the large bag containing the absorbent gel in your toilet, lower the seat, then do your business. After that you bag it up ( twist it and tie it ) and place that dirty bag inside the included giant "ziplock" bag. Very sanitary, clean and convenient once you get the hang of it. You can dispose of them in any garbage container or dumpster.
The idea of putting raw sewage in a garbage container or dumpster just doesn't feel right to me. It's not something I could do with a clear conscience.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
The idea of putting raw sewage in a garbage container or dumpster just doesn't feel right to me. It's not something I could do with a clear conscience.
These are no different than disposable baby diapers are they?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
These are no different than disposable baby diapers are they?
Disposable diapers where meant to have the solids removed and flushed down the toilet. Ask anyone who works at a wast disposal site (AKA garbage dump) what they think of disposable diapers.
Also two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Can always toss those WAG bags into the Grand Canyon. Lots of room there.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #16

Quote:

Better tell that to all those babies pooping in their diapers...all the dogs pooping in the campgrounds...all those kitties pooping in the litter boxes...and our depends...
Old 12-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Can always toss those WAG bags into the Grand Canyon. Lots of room there.
Those end up in a dumpster too, and they are biodegradable.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
Those end up in a dumpster too, and they are biodegradable.
Best look up the definition of biodegradable ( can take 30 years ).
I note a disregard for the people downstream of you who have to look after your mess.
Just because you throw it in a dumpster, doesn't make it disappear.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #19

https://www.rei.com/product/692303/c...SAAEgIIVfD_BwE
Old 12-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
They are contained (sort of) just like a bag of dog poop or a baby diaper, which for the latter most people don't even contain it

the WAG bag is a water crystal polymer that gelled up the liquid, similar to what cat litter and those portable travel john does.. (and the same crystal used in the baby diaper) some people make their own bag by combining cat litter, water crystal and some baking soda.. just need to be sure to use the heavier duty bags.

We used the WAG bag a lot camping out in the middle of nowhere with our offroad trailer, they get expensive if you are out a long time and have a few more people, plus the amount of trash you generated per bag. sure, you can share a few bags with family but they get smelly in a few hours if not zipped too. Now that we have our 19, everyone of us were really glad to have a real black tank.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote