To OB or not to OB - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:24 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
There are many things stated on this forum that I personally am not in agreement with . Glenn's pet name for his wife is not one of them!
The hysteria expressed over the new furnace location was put into the proper prospective by Donna's logical comment IMHO.
I have neither the time ,patience or temperament to be a moderator.
I am thankful Glenn , Donna and Jim , possess these qualities. AMEN
Old 01-28-2016, 12:10 AM   #42

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Back to the OP.
One thing I find interesting about reading comments is the voices (in my head) that I unconsciously assign to different members posts.
When I first read one of Glenn's old bag comments I admit the voice in my head took on a nasty, angry tone. It stayed that way until one day for no particular reason I made the connection to his name. Suddenly I heard his posts in a more fatherly, friendly way.

Much in the same way when I started reading Tom's post, I started off hearing it in a reasonable "I disagree with you and your actions" tone. Until the second paragraph when the all caps and bold turned the voice into emotional yelling.

None of these perceptions are total accurate or fair.

My point is we all bring our own projections and predispositions to what we read. I appreciate that Tom voiced his objection and, although I wish he'd done it differently, I understand his position. I hope that the explanation helped but I understand if he's still bothered by the words.

As for myself, I have a real fear of being misunderstood and as a result I often hesitate to comment. In fact I'm sure I'll regret this as soon as I post it. Sorry if I'm overthinking this.

Also thanks to the moderators for splitting this thread and allowing it to continue.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:37 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post

Moderators are useful. Censors are not.
Having read a reasonable percentage of Donna's 27,000 odd post on here and FGRV the last thing I'd say is that she acts as a censor. She's consistently welcoming and offering helpful advice based on lot's of experience and knowledge.

I have to admit the first time I saw the "Old Bag" comment I thought hmmm, but then the word play became obvious.

I'm glad we could have a civilized discussion about this and maybe it's time for this thread to wind down.

Ron
Old 01-28-2016, 03:48 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hello all,

As usual, we are always listening. The first mock up of the drawer cabinet is obviously not being well received. Tonite I did a quick rebuild of the cabinet with everything tightened up and by raising the counter three inches, I was able to get two drawers in above the furnace. Tomorrow I will order new drawers and a new, slightly wider trim ring for the furnace grill to match the drawer width.
Donna,
This is ETI's actual response and the first paragraph of their first post in the thread you referenced. It sounds to me like they listened, gave credence to what people said, and made changes. Good for them and the mollified owners.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:17 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
Back to the OP.
One thing I find interesting about reading comments is the voices (in my head) that I unconsciously assign to different members posts.
When I first read one of Glenn's old bag comments I admit the voice in my head took on a nasty, angry tone. It stayed that way until one day for no particular reason I made the connection to his name. Suddenly I heard his posts in a more fatherly, friendly way.

Much in the same way when I started reading Tom's post, I started off hearing it in a reasonable "I disagree with you and your actions" tone. Until the second paragraph when the all caps and bold turned the voice into emotional yelling.

None of these perceptions are total accurate or fair.

My point is we all bring our own projections and predispositions to what we read. I appreciate that Tom voiced his objection and, although I wish he'd done it differently, I understand his position. I hope that the explanation helped but I understand if he's still bothered by the words.

As for myself, I have a real fear of being misunderstood and as a result I often hesitate to comment. In fact I'm sure I'll regret this as soon as I post it. Sorry if I'm overthinking this.

Also thanks to the moderators for splitting this thread and allowing it to continue.
Good post. I am sure much of what you said applies to many here, I know I have had many of the same kind of thoughts roll through my wee brain.

Having met, and spent time with, both baglo and Tom, I can say without reservation both are great guys, and I very much look forward to seeing both of them again.

Having met many hundreds of people in real life, that I first met on forums (photography, canoeing, trailering, etc), I must say that for the most part, my read on these folks without meeting them has been fairly accurate, although there are a few that upon talking to face to face, I actually see in a better light. Communicating in writing only definitely has drawbacks in that you miss the facial expressions, especially the smiles.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Boy, I go to sleep early after shoveling and this thread takes off. I wish I had some of this hot air around to help melt all this snow, sheesh...
Old 01-28-2016, 07:05 AM   #47

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I know that I'm a little late to the party here, but I've always realized that the Old Bag term was just a term of endearment, and a play on their name. So no offense taken here.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Boy, I go to sleep early after shoveling and this thread takes off. I wish I had some of this hot air around to help melt all this snow, sheesh...
Jim - just place your computer next to the snow you need to melt

"Old Kit Bag" - great Richard Thompson album.
Attached Thumbnails
81GtqGPhsRS._SL1408_.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #49

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I was actually more offended by the harshness of the post from StarvingHeyna than pretty much anything else I've seen on here. But I'm sure I'll get over it and move on. Otherwise I'll never make Senior Member status.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #50
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Participation is optional.... Just sayin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hey Jim- so you're saying I'm constantly griping? And if I don't like the blatant cheer responses after legitimate concerns I should just go away?
Rossue, you were really helpful to me when I was getting ready to buy my Escape, and I get really tired of seeing people blow you off when you bring up valid concerns. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #51

I think we need a group hug.....
While I was employed, as the dreaded tax agent, the majority of time I was not a welcome addition to a meeting with lawyers and other accountants. That said we all wanted to work to an agreeable solution. We all all agreed that we will not agree with one another all the time, but we all agreed that we can agree some of the time.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #52

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Coming on-line and reading this thread all I can say is that it would make a great Case Study in cyberspace group interaction.

It's really discouraging that anyone would open a thread with such a personal challenge/attack. While the original question may have been spurred by a perceived, legitimate concern,it could have been resolved with a note to the individual in question.

Y'all need to mind your manners and use more sense.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: gbaglo...et al... I think it's time for a "Zip loc" bag here!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 01-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #54

Trailer: none
A reasonable person might well take offense at this particular method of referring to one's spouse. When I first saw it, I was taken aback. BUT, it soon became clear that it was not meant as either derogatory or disrespectful...just a playful, family play on words and apparently perfectly ok with the spouse so named. I admit that I personally would not like that 'term of endearment' and I still find it a little jarring when I see it but it's really not my business to police other people's 'pet names'. Context and intent is important here.
Sold both 7/22
Old 01-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #55

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I just make it a strong point not to be critical of anyone or anything and to be very easy going. My grandfather was this way and lived to 96. For example, I saw no problem with the furnace location change. Loren
Old 01-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #56

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Blatant cheer-leading can be tedious....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
LOL... And constantly griping is better? ...
I think that these two opinions represent the extremes of Escape ownership, and the majority of Escape Owners fall somewhere in between.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 01-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #57
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'm with Rich. If you have a problem with a moderator, message them. Probably not best to use a new thread to attack them and call for them to leave their post.

One of the main reasons why I use this forum far more frequently than FGRV (besides the fact we have an Escape), is that it's always been far more civil. Drama is a rare thing here, and FGRV is filled with it. Should that change, my life is far to busy with real concerns to add another one, and I'll probably bow out. I'd miss it, mainly because of people like Glenn and Donna, who, despite the claims that I'm cheerleading, are VERY helpful and welcoming indeed.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
I'm late to this discussion, but I want to attest that I've known Glenn and Leslie for about 20 years, and know that the Old Bag thing is just Glenn's style of humour. He and Leslie have a great relationship. Camp next to them sometime and you'll see.

The true test of his character is that our mutual friend Fran would have grievously harmed Baglo long ago if she had perceived that he was being disrespectful to his wife or daughter. Despite the occasionally edgy exterior, perhaps the result of 30+ years in a very tough business, he's a kind and generous guy, and is one of the most reliable sources of advice (and quirky humour) for newcomers and regulars to this site.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #59

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Okay, after reading all of this, I've decided we're getting to the NOGs early so no one is around to hear us when we're trying to back up the trailer ....

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
Old 01-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #60

I remember as a young teenager hearing my friends refer to their father as "my old man" which I thought was demeaning since I referred to my father by his name, Bob or my father. But the world still turned out ok. at least until I discovered girls.
Closed Thread