To OB or not to OB - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #81

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
After much thought I'm just not going to share references to my wife any more . It will be so much more easy on everybody.
This discussion has been better than an obituary, since I was here to read it.

Awe gee ....please don't quit being fun ....or fun to read ...
Old 01-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #82

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Umm...Glenn keep being yourself. If people can't figure out your humour it is their loss ��
Old 01-28-2016, 10:40 PM   #83

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Sure like the obituary one!!!
Old 01-29-2016, 02:29 AM   #84

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hello All,
Whew we what a dust up .... I had no idea! .... well at least is been good to see so many of you still have a heartbeat. The last 24 hours or so I have been unable to respond due to work restraints (gotta quit that nasty habit) and being up against my data subscription limits ... all clear tonight.

I wish to apologize for using capitol letters and bold face type ...... REALLY? .... Ok, I'm sorry. It was also perhaps over the top asking Glenn to step down as a Moderator. However, I stand firm about my other comments ... I'm still offended.

Perhaps my detractors do not understand the origins of that statement. Calling a woman "an old Bag" is a extremely crass and derogatory reference to a certain portion of a woman's anatomy. It's has nothing to do with a homeless woman pushing a shopping cart. Still don't understand? Well, would you like to read a post from a woman referring to her husband as "her limp d--ked husband" ... would it be more funny or interesting if his name was really Dick? I don't think so .... I for one would be just as outraged. If Glenn and his wife wish to banter back and forth amongst family, friends and close people, I'd have nothing to say ... it would be none of my business ..... but posting same on a public forum is quite another matter.

I rest my case and sincerely hope this is the last posting on this matter. I'm tired too.

Can we get back to trailers, trailer life, and making our camping life better? Spring is just around the corner ... where are you planning on going?

Tom
Horizontal rain ... 45F
Just gotta get past February .... somehow
Old 01-29-2016, 02:45 AM   #85

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
While I understand what you mean Tom, I don't support it. Maybe it boils down to a regional thing, like some other hot button topics around here.

Yes, lets go spring!
Old 01-29-2016, 03:16 AM   #86

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
After much thought I'm just not going to share references to my wife any more . .
Tea bag is good. You could come up with another name for Tea Bag's mom. Or you could even use her name. No need to leave her out.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:27 AM   #87

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think the flames have died down now and the embers, although glowing are slowly fading. Let sleeping dogs lie....
Old 01-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #88

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Let sleeping dogs lie....
Gotcha, Jim. Good idea.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #89

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
Rossue, you were really helpful to me when I was getting ready to buy my Escape, and I get really tired of seeing people blow you off when you bring up valid concerns. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.
Totally in agreement and support.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #90

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Totally in agreement and support.
Pat
Old 01-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #91

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Thanks for your post, Tom

Interesting to learn the background of the term 'old bag'. In some ways similar to the term 'rule of thumb.' It's used every once in awhile today and comes from way back when a husband could use a stick as thick as his thumb to beat his wife. Today when I read the phrase the original meaning runs through my mind. I suppose you are going to still be offended when Glenn uses the phrase. Perhaps knowing the background to his use of the enduring term may help. One thing I've learned about online forums is that every once in awhile things flare up and then settle down. In some ways so long as people keep showing up and letting things blow over life goes on.

Anyway, like you I am waiting for Spring and the camping season.

I plan to retire in midMarch and we had planned a trip East onto the Praries where I really want to see bison on the plains of Grasslands National Park. However, those plans have been rudely impacted by two sister's (one of mine and one of Liz's) who have been diagnosed with cancer. One sister was fine over Xmas and has been given a 4-6 month diagnoses. All that to say, we've had to hold some travel plans quite lightly and be ready to change them.

So we are learning to not sweat the small stuff.

Kind regards, Larry
Old 01-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #92

Trailer: Airstream shopping for Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Since you asked. I have no problem with Jim, if you mean cpaharley. Always a positive.

But I can think of no better example of how poorly moderators serve the interests of Escape owners than Donna. When ETI announced changes to the furnace location in the 21 with resulting loss of storage, owners-to-be were negative. Donna immediately told the prospective owners they were wrong, that the changes were good, that they would like the trailer better. Luckily for the buyers ETI listened to them, altered the plans, and presumably reached a good solution.

Moderators are useful. Censors are not.
Donna? Seriously?

A real fine thanks for all the time they VOLUNTEER to managing this forum.

At this point I am all for censorship and can not help but wonder why a moderator does not upheld the forum rules and delete the offending posts, including the one that started this discussion.

Sincerely hope that nether Glenn nor Donna decide they have had enough already!
Old 01-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #93

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My inclination is to let stuff run the course and fade away, unless it really gets out of hand.
The positives in this thread have way outnumbered the negative.
So, thanks to most all.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #94
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberglass Fan View Post
Donna? Seriously?

A real fine thanks for all the time they VOLUNTEER to managing this forum.

At this point I am all for censorship and can not help but wonder why a moderator does not upheld the forum rules and delete the offending posts, including the one that started this discussion.

Sincerely hope that nether Glenn nor Donna decide they have had enough already!
It's real simple. Posts often are about the character of the poster and less about the individual targeted. Donncha think?
Old 01-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #95

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Very well stated ....

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
Old 01-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #96

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Donna - you nailed it! And many thanks to the moderators doing for a thankless task!
Old 01-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #97

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's real simple. Posts often are about the character of the poster and less about the individual targeted. Donncha think?
Revenge of the site team! I think they have lost their way.

Circle the wagons, those darn Escape Owners are restless.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #98

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Interesting to learn the background of the term 'old bag'. In some ways similar to the term 'rule of thumb.' It's used every once in awhile today and comes from way back when a husband could use a stick as thick as his thumb to beat his wife. Today when I read the phrase the original meaning runs through my mind.
It looks pretty clear after some online research that "rule of thumb" did not originally mean this, has never meant this to most people, and doesn't mean this now (in my world, or according to Merriam-Webster)... but if that's what you think of, you'll find the phrase offensive. Since I recall that the unit of measurement of an inch was derived from the size of a thumb (officially the thumb of the King of England), the idea of approximation and quick reference is obvious so I don't go looking for more sinister meanings.

I don't associate "bag" with anything obscene, and online material such as the Stack Exchange discussion of the origin of "old bag" doesn't suggest such an association.

I don't think an author - even baglo - can be held responsible for the reader's incorrect and unintended application of a rare or incorrect interpretation of an innocent phrase. I'll add one more to my earlier list of lessons:
  • Given a number of potentially intended meanings for something in a post, it makes sense to assume the most relevant or innocent, not the most offensive. This is a complement to "When you hear hoof beats, think of horses not zebras."
Old 01-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #99

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Thank you Klem.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:08 PM   #100

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and since the original poster has expressed his regret in making that statement, lets close this thread
Closed Thread