To OB or not to OB - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 02:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
To OB or not to OB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Heavy stuff goes in lower cupboards.
Bungee cords strung through the cupboard handles will help keep them closed.
I'd offer more, like have cupboards dedicated to certain things, and put stuff back in the same place, but the Old Bag likes to put things where ever there is room.
Glen,
I can't help myself but I must tell you that I find your referrals to your wife as "the Old bag" EXTREMELY offensive, which you have done a few times lately! Please keep your marital issues out of this forum. They don't belong here any more than political comments which you have gone out of your way to screen.

Glen you should be ashamed of yourself! If not I am for you! You are a total embarrassment. I WANT YOU TO REMOVE YOURSELF AS A SITE TEAM MEMBER! YOU DON'T BELONG HERE AS A OFFICIAL OF ANY KIND.

OK, in all farness how do the rest of you feel ... please speak up.

TOM
Old 01-27-2016, 06:05 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Glenn's reference to his wife is a play on words based on his name. In that context, I don't find it offensive at all. He's perhaps the most helpful, no-nonsense member of the forum I've come across, and has helped me many times. I think you need to lighten up, and not take things so seriously. This forum thrives because of the good-hearted and congenial nature of it's members.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Tom, you might have met Leslie (The Old Bag in the reference) at Osoyoos. I have met her a bunch of times before, and she does not seem to be bothered in the least by that play on words. In fact, it is almost like their own term of endearment. Having heard this pet name for Leslie lots over the last 7 years, frankly I don't even notice it.

I refer to my wife as the Little Big Dog all the time, and no offence is taken, as in fact that is her role in our pack. Jasper is the Dog, and I am the Big Dog (at least she lets me believe so).

It all comes down to the intention behind the words that really matters.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-27-2016, 06:16 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've known Glenn since he joined FiberglassRV on 05-31-2008, I'm not certain I even know his wife's name... I know his daughter's name is Tea Bag....
Old 01-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
I crack up every time I read it. I don't know Glenn and Leslie, but I imagine they have a very healthy sense of humor, with both enjoying the play on words. I would love to hear what she calls him; probably something just as endearing. Thanks for sharing Glenn!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Old 01-27-2016, 08:32 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
At first when Glenn used "Old Bag" I was a little surprised, but honestly I figured he used it because she was anything but!!!! When he refers to her as "Old Bag" I picture someone drop dead gorgeous. I wouldn't want to be a forum administrator and while I don't agree with every decision I think our administrators do an excellent job of keeping this forum civil and welcoming. And there was that one time that Glenn was pretty outspoken about something and he finally wrote that his wife had told him he was being pretty grumpy that evening. Lots of honesty there.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
I enjoy Glenn's humour and had the pleasure of meeting Leslie at the 2015 Escape rally. They are a delightful couple!
Old 01-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Leslie ( Old Bag ) calls me Baglo. My daughter calls me Glennnnnn. My brother calls his kids, "Litter Bags".
Les is a year and a half older than me and when she phones her friends, she announces, "Old Bag here".
And, that's my story.

Bags, Bagsie, Lobags, Baggers, Bagpipes.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I got it, but I've followed Glenn's posts for years on several forums and he is good with advice and mitigating things that need mitigating. I haven't met him yet, but hope to someday soon. That said, I hear some of what Tom's saying. I think those of us that are familiar with Glenn know and chuckle, but there could potentially be 10-20,000 readers a month who never join, just found the forum, read a bit and don't know the back story. As a forum owner, I have a more global approach and always worry that I'll make some dumb a** comment that those who don't know me won't get. Heck, even those who know me probably won't get it as I lean towards British humor which admittedly leans toward strange.
Anyway, just some rambling thoughts, but I think Glenn is a definitely one of the go to guys here, and I respect his contributions over the years.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Kitchen Packing?

Kudos to Tom for pointing out a derogatory reference to a spouse. He could have presented it a lot more delicately, but I myself questioned whether his wife found it offensive. Not every spouse would be happy to have this play on a last name out there for all to see. My work environment, with a majority of staff being women, ran afoul of the hospital administration a few times because after years of working together some of our humor offended new comers. (The women on staff often the worst offenders). We had to alter our conversation some to avoid offending others and satisfy the VP who tried to address the complaints. One way to address this is for Glen to set up his computer's word processor to auto add (The Love Of My Life) every time he types his term of endearment. (Just joking here). I think any time we use iffy terms in a public place we risk offending people. I would be interested to know what "junior " members think.

Bob K
Old 01-27-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post

TOM
I'm offended by it too.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Tom to know where everyone is coming from you have to meet Glenn and Leslie in person. They are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet. They also have an awesome sense of humour, rest assured there that they are no different then any other couples short of having different nick names for each other

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Leslie ( Old Bag ) calls me Baglo. My daughter calls me Glennnnnn. My brother calls his kids, "Litter Bags".
Les is a year and a half older than me and when she phones her friends, she announces, "Old Bag here".
And, that's my story.

Bags, Bagsie, Lobags, Baggers, Bagpipes.

When I first read the term "Old Bag" referring to Leslie it took a moment to figure out the play on words. I'm not offended or taken aback by the way Glenn uses the phrase.

Since being on this Forum I have never read a misogynist, chauvinistic comment that Glenn has made about any female, certainly not his wife. (I am nearing the final days of a career in criminal justice where I deal with domestic violence on a daily basis. I have a fine-tuned antenna for attitudes of male privilege, male down-putting of a female).

I think the poster who brought up their concerns went too far by asking for Glenn's dismissal and for the large bold print (online culture bold print this is viewed as a loud shout).

Glenn would be a huge loss to this Forum.

Lets move on......

Larry
Old 01-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In all fairness to Tom and Casey and Glenn, this issue is not a new one. However in the past it was resolved by merely suggesting those involved to utilize the "ignore" option in the tools menu.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
When I first read the term "Old Bag" referring to Leslie it took a moment to figure out the play on words. I'm not offended or taken aback by the way Glenn uses the phrase.

Since being on this Forum I have never read a misogynist, chauvinistic comment that Glenn has made about any female, certainly not his wife. (I am nearing the final days of a career in criminal justice where I deal with domestic violence on a daily basis. I have a fine-tuned antenna for attitudes of male privilege, male down-putting of a female).

I think the poster who brought up their concerns went too far by asking for Glenn's dismissal and for the large bold print (online culture bold print this is viewed as a loud shout).

Glenn would be a huge loss to this Forum.

Lets move on......

Larry
Half the time Glenn's the only one who gets my warped sense of humor.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Ltd Edition 15B (1 of 47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post

Glen you should be ashamed of yourself! If not I am for you! You are a total embarrassment. I WANT YOU TO REMOVE YOURSELF AS A SITE TEAM MEMBER! YOU DON'T BELONG HERE AS A OFFICIAL OF ANY KIND.

TOM
OK Tom, you asked. I can't jump aboard your Outrage Express. Whatever he calls his wife is between the two of them.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In all fairness to Tom and Casey and Glenn, this issue is not a new one. However in the past it was resolved by merely suggesting those involved to utilize the "ignore" option in the tools menu.
Good suggestion except that the site does not allow a user to "ignore" a moderator. It appears that some moderators only purpose is to churn the site with new posts to attract readership. Kudos to StarvingHyena for speaking up. Maybe OB's husband is kidding, maybe he's not.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
It appears that some moderators only purpose is to churn the site with new posts to attract readership.
There's only three moderators on this site. Me, Glenn and Jim. We're volunteers at zero pay/benefits. What benefit is there to attracting readership for us? And why do you think that's what we're trying to do? I'm confused....
Old 01-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and to refute your synopsis, Donna has over 20,000 posts on FGRV, more than anyone else and she is not a moderator there?
Old 01-27-2016, 07:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Half the time Glenn's the only one who gets my warped sense of humor.
There is a chance I might too, I am just not going to admit it in public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Good suggestion except that the site does not allow a user to "ignore" a moderator. It appears that some moderators only purpose is to churn the site with new posts to attract readership.
There is one more option that will definitely work......logging out.....

I think you are very off base regarding the moderators here. Churning up interest is a good thing, and unless I have been missing something for the last 7 years here, that what this site is all about.

Go, Mods, Go!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Closed Thread