To those of you who used to tent camp and/or backpack... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
To those of you who used to tent camp and/or backpack...

Do you tent camp anymore after getting your trailer? We plan to get an Escape in a year or so. I'm thinking we might still go on backpack trips after we get the trailer but we most likely wouldn't tent camp again. Trying to talk my husband out of buying new sleeping bags
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I still backpack and obviously still use a tent for that. Really hope to keep doing that. As for car camping with a tent, did that for the first time in a long time last weekend and it was kind of fun but only did it because we don't have a trailer untill November. Back packing and using a trailer are two different experiences, Taking the trailer with you on a back packing trip to have a shower when you get off the trail is nice.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
There are many places that are not accessible to vehicles and campers, and would still require use of tents and sleeping bags, even if you own an Escape. I have had my 19' for about 1-1/2 yrs but still get out tent camping on occasion. We just got back in early Sept from nearly a week long canoe camping trip in Bowron Lake Provincial Park in northern BC, where we slept in tents in very rainy whether. I do find that sleeping in the Escape is much more comfortable than in a tent. But I have also been looking at hammocks again and am seriously considering a new camping hammock for next years camping season.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.0
We used to tent camp. In May of 2013, we bought a Camp Inn tear drop trailer which was like the Ritz compared to tent camping. After a 6 week trip from MA to Fl and back in March - April 2014, we decided we wanted something that we could cook, eat and use the bathroom without going outside. We ordered a 17B and sold the Camp Inn with days of each other in May. We had a couple of camping trips already planned for the summer but we able to cancel all but one that was with a little great niece and nephew. Before we left the campground for home I said "I will NEVER tent camp again!" I can't speak to the backpacking issue, my last backpacking trip was probably at least 35 years ago. But I am 100% sure my tent camping days are OVER.
Mob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
There are a couple of lakes in the Oregon Cascade mountain range with small islands, which can only be accessed by canoe (or non-powered boat.) I tent camped on them a few years ago while fishing. Extremely peaceful and quiet - and I didn't have to worry about tying up my dog that night!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I have also been a tent camper my whole life. (50 years camping) I got to the point over the last few years that my wife wouldn't tent camp - our camping was out of sync! I still love camping in a tent, but really enjoy our Escape. I will not get rid of my 3 tents or thermarests as my daughter and grand sons can use them when they come to visit. I can't wait to continue camping in the Smoky mountais and have a shower after a challenging hike.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We are 64 and 57 years old respectively and will continue to sleep on the ground on occasion after we begin using our 17b this January. The piece of equipment that makes this possible is our Exped 9 pads. DownMat 9 M | Exped USA. These things are almost 4" thick and are FAR more comfortable and warm than any other mat out there. Not cheap but if you want to continue camping, consider this piece of equipment.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I still do some backpacking, and a fair bit of canoeing. In fact, going to be camping four nights this coming weekend on Maligne Lake, by Jasper. I absolutely love camping in the backcountry, as it is so much more relaxing on the soul than in a trailer, but that is still more relaxing than staying at home.

We also use the tent for quick overnight stays, where we just want to grab and go.

In our tent we use down filled air mattresses when we tent, as they provide good comfort and warmth.

Hope I never have a need, or want, to quit camping in a tent. At least until I am old, like way up in my 80's.

The new 'expensive' mattress we have in our 19 is way more comfy, even more comfy that our one at home, we just can't get our trailer to all of the best spots.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
In 1985, I moved from New Hampshire to Florida because I finally got tired of New England winter weather. The closest I ever want to get to snow is the Sno-Cone booth at the state fair. And over 20 years in the army and the army reserve instilled in me a strong dislike for tents. So the only tent I ever want to spend more than 5 minutes in is a circus tent when Barnum & Bailey come to town. So I will stick to the fiberglass "tent" on wheels!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Don't hate me! But... I think this "tent" stuff can be age related. I'm a former.... tent camper (that old oily Army tent... don't touch the sides), to backbacker, to sleep on the beach in a sleeping bag camper, to car camper, to sleep under the canopy on the truck camper, etc., etc., etc.

I'm done with that. I'm older now and have regulated all those GREAT times to my memory bank. You can't repeat history, even with rose colored glasses. I know my body will never enjoy those earlier times as when I was younger. AND THAT'S OKAY. I have memories no one can take away from me.

It doesn't mean the way I currently chose to camp is better... it's just different. And I'm making NEW memories along the way.

I gave my tent(s) to a young family couple who were on a limited budget. They get to make memories! I kept my sleeping bags because if I lose power (for days on end), I know I can sleep in my sticks 'n bricks home at night and be comfortable. Besides the sleeping bags are OLD. And I kept my stove and lantern for the same reason (garage looks like a need-to-have-a-garage-sale)!

Just know, if you give or sell your "earlier camping experience stuff" ... no one is taking away those memories and you may be providing someone else the opportunity to have as much fun as you did.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #11

You gotsta do what you enjoy, and what gives you the most satisfaction, whatever that may be.

I don't think tent camping is necessarily just age related, though no doubt it has some to do with it, but as much a state of physical fitness. I can't help but get good exercise where I mostly go to tent. I know, I know, I am just a youngster here anyway.

I think the majority of people backpacked at one time or another, but for me backcountry exploring via foot, paddle, or ski, was literally an obsession. For a few years, I spent about half the time venturing in the backcountry. This lessened a bit once we had kids. We then bought a tent trailer to haul them around in, but I have always done a few trips every year. Though I love to spend time in my trailer, for me there is still a BIG draw to head into the mountains. There, there is many, many natural beauties that one cannot see from the road, and along with it the peace and tranquility that sets my mind at ease (not an easy task).

I will be back next week bearing pikturs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
It has been probably over 10 years since we last tent camped and I have stopped Cathy several times from hauling the stuff off to Goodwill. Yet, probably will never use it again. Froze my petunias to many times in the mountains. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We have always tent camped, but "roughing it" was simply getting old (or we were). We'll keep the tent for certain outings, or for the grandkids, but the wife and I will be found in the trailer. Ever spend a summer night in South Texas in a tent? Its fine if you like to swim in your bed.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
"roughing it"
Maybe this is what makes me unique (okay, different). I don't see tenting as roughing it at all. No different than our trailers, it is another piece of equipment that allows me to stay where I want to be. I get WAY more excited to go on a trip where a tent is needed, than one where a trailer will work.

My tent may not be roughing it, but my trailer sure is a luxury.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #15

Tent Camping .... NEVER AGAIN!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0010.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	7840

Been there done that not a fan..

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Don't hate me! But... I think this "tent" stuff can be age related.
Yep. Donna, I do believe you hit the tent peg right on the head. No longer want to do the stuff that I thought was fun when I was young. But I still reminisce about those times with fond memories. It's all about comfort now.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I don't think tent camping is necessarily just age related, though no doubt it has some to do with it, but as much a state of physical fitness. ....
Jim, I'm, (at least) ten years older than you. Contact me in 2024. I just did my Health Assessment.. everything is Optimum or above... so the physical stuff isn't a problem. I still know (TG for a working brain) it's time to "change." I hope you find THAT out many years from now...

As my mother has said, the brain is soooo very willing and the body is not.... DANG IT!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I suppose part of it is the climate where you live, Jim. Summer in Canada in a tent? I wouldn't mind that at all. Texas Hill Country? That's another matter entirely. For those who've never done it, and who think they know what hot weather is, this will redefine it for you. If that isn't "roughing it", I dont know what is. I've spent time in the middle east sleeping in a temporary shelter with a bunch of guys carrying M16s. That was like a hotel compared to tenting in South Texas in August.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Still use the tent, maybe once a year. Would like to do more lightweight backpacking and canoe camping. Car camping is out. Nothing wrong with getting new sleeping bags. The trailer is for traveling.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #20

It seems I am getting myself in a bit of a pickle here, with my admitted love for what tent camping offers me. Oh well, I gots thick skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Jim, I'm, (at least) ten years older than you. Contact me in 2024. I just did my Health Assessment.. everything is Optimum or above... so the physical stuff isn't a problem. I still know (TG for a working brain) it's time to "change." I hope you find THAT out many years from now...

As my mother has said, the brain is soooo very willing and the body is not.... DANG IT!
Yeppers, I am only 57 this year, just a puppy. I have friends that are 10 years older than me that I can barely keep up to in the backcountry. I really believe, short of some major physical failing, that I will be out there for at least 10 more years, and I sure am hoping for more. There are many in our canoe club well into their 70's, still going strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I suppose part of it is the climate where you live, Jim. Summer in Canada in a tent? I wouldn't mind that at all. Texas Hill Country? That's another matter entirely. For those who've never done it, and who think they know what hot weather is, this will redefine it for you.
This could be very true. I am not a fan of heat. I have a winter bag that will keep me nice and cozy in a blizzard, but not much one can do in the blistering heat to cool down, without A/C that is.