To tow or not to tow... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Good point... I supposed I'm accustomed to people having four wheel drive in tow vehicles (or front wheel drive) like our van. Pickup trucks are all over the place here, but it seems hard to find one that's only two wheel drive.
I remember my last rear wheel drive only pickup, it used be able to get stuck on flat level ground if there was any snow or ice at all.....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #22

Trailer: .
DonnaD, I'm not following post #17. Who is the "someone"?

Bill
busyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I'll just reiterate/paraphrase what other people have said. Yeah, backing up is tough. It doesn't come naturally. But anybody can learn if you take the time. Don't rush it. Be patient. Take the time necessary to do it right. Get out and check your progress regularly.

And, maybe depending on how you and your spouse communicate, do it yourself rather than have your spouse try to guide you.

But you'll learn if you try.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape
Use two way radios to communicate. Use agreed upon terms.
drivers side or passenger side
Not your left or my right.
Pull forward and straighten out
Buy some orange plastic cones and learn/practice in a large parking lot.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 21' sold, current class C, Now looking
My wife does not want to tow right now, so I do the driving, she does the navigating and we take it slow, take breaks, and don't plan super long marathon drives.

although we have a 21 on order.....she has her eyes on that new 5.0 as she said "I think I would be more comfortable towing that" given the setup and she just thinks it is a better more secure hitch. Can't argue with that. We are seriously looking at upgrading to that after the 21.

Turning and things is a different ball game there as your pivot point is over your wheels, not behind your bumper and things are very very stable. Heck my 70+ mom wants the 5'er as well and would be comfortable with that and she used to tow a camper as a single mom with us kids and did all the driving and backing. Just something else to consider.

But in all the wise words, you learn in your own way, take your time, go slow, and enjoy the mistakes. Laughing helps
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
We are seriously looking at upgrading to that after the 21.
Where are you in the production lineup? Maybe you could make the change now, if you wanted.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
My wife does not want to tow right now, so I do the driving, she does the navigating and we take it slow, take breaks, and don't plan super long marathon drives.

although we have a 21 on order.....she has her eyes on that new 5.0 as she said "I think I would be more comfortable towing that" given the setup and she just thinks it is a better more secure hitch. Can't argue with that. We are seriously looking at upgrading to that after the 21.

Turning and things is a different ball game there as your pivot point is over your wheels, not behind your bumper and things are very very stable. Heck my 70+ mom wants the 5'er as well and would be comfortable with that and she used to tow a camper as a single mom with us kids and did all the driving and backing. Just something else to consider.

But in all the wise words, you learn in your own way, take your time, go slow, and enjoy the mistakes. Laughing helps
Hi: Don W... Once you've hooked up a 5.0 and towed away...you'd be laughing!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
almost there.jpg   Normal turn.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
We have a 5.0 and I do the driving and backing. It's a doddle..... We figured out very early on that Leslie gives good directions and I'm good at following them. When he backs up, I give directions and he says "no that's not right" does the exact opposite and we edge closer to divorce........ :-) You just have to find out what works.
I haven't driven or backed up a trailer so I can't compare, but I really like the 5.0. I can hook up on my own without help and it's so easy to tow.
Have fun whatever you buy!
Christine
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 17B
First night in my new 21! More about it tomorrow. But backing is apparently like riding a bike. Once you learn you don't forget. It's been over 20 years since I last towed a (horse) trailer but I got this, solo, into it's space at the campground without a problem.

And it was towed by my highlander without any worries.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Doin' tge Happy Dance for you Sally! Can't wait to see more pictures too (hint, hint, hint).
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally P View Post
First night in my new 21! More about it tomorrow. But backing is apparently like riding a bike. Once you learn you don't forget. It's been over 20 years since I last towed a (horse) trailer but I got this, solo, into it's space at the campground without a problem.

And it was towed by my highlander without any worries.
Can't wait to hear (and see) more! Congratulations!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #32

Trailer: .
Thanks for all the constructive replies.

Not sure how the negative stuff happened (no disrespect was intended), but it sure took all the fun out.

Bill
busyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 19. Birthing date June 23
Towing 19 foot with Tacoma 6 cyl?

Has anyone out there have any experience towing the 19ft with a 6 Cyl Tacoma?
Thanks!
PAB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyb View Post
Thanks for all the constructive replies.

Not sure how the negative stuff happened (no disrespect was intended), but it sure took all the fun out.

Bill
Hi: busyb... It all depends on whether you "Tow the line" or "Toe the line". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAB4 View Post
Has anyone out there have any experience towing the 19ft with a 6 Cyl Tacoma?
Thanks!
Hey,

I tow with a 2011 Tacoma 6Cyl AT I did put in air bags for the rear even though I had the TSB Springs installed the truck felt like it was hitting bump stops with about 500lbs in it. So before I towed the 19' Escape with it I installed them. Check out tacomaworld.com towing bible specifically geared toward towing with the Tacoma. You can search my first trip out with it if you search my name.

Cypherian
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 19. Birthing date June 23
Did u or using a weight distribution hitch?
Thanks
PAB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Cypherian uses a Andersen w/d anti-sway hitch setup. I know because he purchased my Escape and hitch from me earlier this year.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #38

I tow with a 2013 Tacoma 4wd with tow pkg, v6. Had escape install an Andersen hitch when we picked up our 19 last summer. The trailer has a/c, dual 6 volt batteries and insulation pkg. very typical build. The truck with the hitch has handled everything just fine and I'm very satisfied with it. I'm new to towing and have not had any "moments" while towing. Everything seems very secure and the truck has plenty of power. Escape did a great job installing the hitch and making sure I understood how to use it.

Dave
dave1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ours is "only" at 17B, but the Tacoma is more than enough for us. I love how the WDH makes the ride so much better - I've tried it without and it does make a big difference. Ours has original springs, but with the WDH (non-Anderson) installed by Reace I have never noticed any bottoming.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #40

We tow our 2013 19'er with a 2002 Toyota Tacoma V6 Quad Cab 4wd. We have the factory tow package and had the wiring harness replaced when we had the electric brake controller added.

We added rear airbags after our first trip out to get the rear end of the Toyota stiffer. No WD hitch and I don't see any need to add one. The trailer follows along like it was meant to be there when being towed.

Kelly
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote