Tool Kit? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #1

Trailer: TBD
Tool Kit?

I wasn't sure what section this question should be posted so moderators please move if desired.

I usually carry far more tools than I would use in this lifetime but I don't have any RV specialized tools so there is always room for more. The tool kit I carry in my Honda Ridgeline tow vehicle is a carryover from my Honda motorcycle days so it seldom got used. I carry a CruzTool mini ratchet & sockets in a blow-molded plastic box, Craftsman shorty metric wrenches and a variety of other common hand tools such as pliers, screwdrivers (including Japanese spec screwdrivers), needlenose ViseGrips, small Crescent wrench, zip ties, & tire pressure gauge, etc. All this is carried in CruzTool tool roll inside a Harbor Freight soft toolbag. Since I am a retired career firefighter-medic, I also carry a breaching tool. I should carry a first-aid kit, but I don't although there is one in my go bag that may find its way to the Escape when I get the trailer. I plan on upgrading to a 20" Makita soft toolbag if needed. No doubt I will carry my Makita 18v cordless driver & drill with way too many accessories. The drill & accessories go in its own toolbox.

So my question is: what composes your tool kit (standard tools & specialized tools) including the toolbox/carrier you carry all your stuff in?
Old 03-06-2019, 01:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
As a retired mechanic I have waaaay too many tools in our truck. I am continually trying to carry less tools. You need a few 1/2 inch tools to remove the hot water heater drain plug and deal with the lug nuts. A tourque wrench. A good voltmeter is handy as well as a refracometer to check battery specific gravity. A small 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch socket set can be handy as well. An electrical connector repair kit is a good thing too. 12 volt test light and electrical tape is handy as well. Oh, I almost forgot, a grease gun to lube the dexter axles.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:23 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think both of you need to continue to carry your mini-workshop with you and just let everyone else where you will be, so we can come and borrow some tools..........
Seriously, I try to keep my tools inside a small tackle box, pliers, screw drivers, but there is one Escape specific, a Robertson screw driver. seems like everything is attached using one of these.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I attempt to keep everything as compact as possible, a hold over from backpacking I guess. One of those multi tip screw drivers, adjustable wrench/s, channel locks, fuses, tape, wire ties, that sort of stuff but too much to list here. Tried to think of anything I would need to fix anything that broke. As I encounter broken parts I buy 2, 1 becomes a spare, some of which go in the tool box. The box is just a cheap plastic tool box that happens to mostly fit under the seat of the truck, maybe 14"x8"x6".

Escape uses square drive screws so you need tips for those too.

It's not like I can't drive to the store and buy what I need on the off chance I don't already have it.

I do carry a bottle jack for the trailer, big torque wrench and a couple sockets for the tires and water heater. I even went wild and got a tire plug kit that I've only had need of in the driveway at home. A 12v drill/driver for the stabilizers cause I'm lazy when I'm traveling. And a 12vdc tire compressor. Of course none of that goes in the tool box.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:42 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Ryobi 18-volt compressor, No Residue Duct Tape, electrical tape, Teflon tape: both gas and water, channel locks, vise grips, Robertson screw driver, multi-tip screw driver, assorted fuses, 110 electrical tester, 1/2" torque wrench and a new 4'x6' tarp. Other than the tarp, compressor and torgue wrench it fits in a fishing tackle box size box and stored in the passenger side rear bench.

Oh, forgot. A zero balance credit card and a sense of humor. As long as my trailer is safe to go down the road, I can just treat it as a hard-sided tent. I'm not interested in spending hours fixing things when camping. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I probably overdo it on tools I carry, would rather have a few extras that I don't use than be out in the boonies and unable to make a repair for lack of a common tool. I keep a toolbox inside the large truck toolbox and basically fill it with all the tools that will fit.

I also tend to carry small parts for things that are inexpensive but if they break on an extended trip would be a big problem. Generally the rule has been that if I carry a spare part I won't ever need it, but that's cheap insurance Once we pulled over to find that the plastic drain fitting on our fresh water tank had broken off...I already have a spare one in my tool box for our new 5.0TA. Probably will never need it, but in my mind $7 well spent, sure was a pain when it happened on the road. Once at home in Austin we were at the grocery store and someone broke into my truck toolbox with a crowbar and stole not only my toolbox but also the bag with all my accumulated spare trailer parts - fuses, fittings, connectors etc. that I had built up over the years. I'm sure it went in a dumpster as soon as they looked inside, but it sure caused me a lot of grief having to start my spare parts bag over from scratch.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ryobi 18-volt compressor, No Residue Duct Tape, electrical tape, Teflon tape: both gas and water, channel locks, vise grips, Robertson screw driver, multi-tip screw driver, assorted fuses, 110 electrical tester, 1/2" torque wrench and a new 4'x6' tarp. Other than the tarp, compressor and torgue wrench it fits in a fishing tackle box size box and stored in the passenger side rear bench.

Oh, forgot. A zero balance credit card and a sense of humor. As long as my trailer is safe to go down the road, I can just treat it as a hard-sided tent. I'm not interested in spending hours fixing things when camping. YMMV
The two most important "tools" to have!!!!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
I wasn't sure what section this question should be posted so moderators please move if desired.

I usually carry far more tools than I would use in this lifetime but I don't have any RV specialized tools so there is always room for more. The tool kit I carry in my Honda Ridgeline tow vehicle is a carryover from my Honda motorcycle days so it seldom got used. I carry a CruzTool mini ratchet & sockets in a blow-molded plastic box, Craftsman shorty metric wrenches and a variety of other common hand tools such as pliers, screwdrivers (including Japanese spec screwdrivers), needlenose ViseGrips, small Crescent wrench, zip ties, & tire pressure gauge, etc. All this is carried in CruzTool tool roll inside a Harbor Freight soft toolbag. Since I am a retired career firefighter-medic, I also carry a breaching tool. I should carry a first-aid kit, but I don't although there is one in my go bag that may find its way to the Escape when I get the trailer. I plan on upgrading to a 20" Makita soft toolbag if needed. No doubt I will carry my Makita 18v cordless driver & drill with way too many accessories. The drill & accessories go in its own toolbox.

So my question is: what composes your tool kit (standard tools & specialized tools) including the toolbox/carrier you carry all your stuff in?
Hi: Farther... I carry a plastic tool box from IKEA along with a socket/handle to fit the anode rod, a Vice grip, water pump pliers, and a rubber mallet. That's way more tools than my ability to use them. A second pair of eyes is a useful tool too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt".
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Seem like no matter what you have with you, it's probably not what you need��
The credit card and sense of humor is 98% effective. ��
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Like others, I have 30 pounds of tools in my toolbox, including a breaker bar that sticks out one end of the plastic lid, due to length.
Specifically bought for the Escape: --a torque wrench to monitor lug nut tightness on the alloy wheels, and a short ½" drive extension and sockets for the lug nuts and for the stabilizers and tongue jack. (Harbor Freight #62491 - in photo)
Also, a cheap multimeter (volt/ohm) from, you guessed it, harbor freight (usually free w/coupon and any purchase!).
{Edit: the Robertson bit for 90% of the Escape screws is a #2 (square). I bought a pack of 5 bits that fit my 18V screw gun and a screwdriver handle with multiple bits.
Vice-grips and Channellock pliers are indispensible IMHO.}
Attached Thumbnails
HF-62491.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #11

Probably the most useful tool that I forget to list and the one that I have used the most is the square tipped Robertson screwdriver. A screwdriver with interchangeable tips stored in the handle is a great way to carry all your screwdrivers.
And as Donna said a credit card. You can always buy whatever you need at the local hardware store.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
A second pair of eyes is a useful tool too!!! Alf

I keep an old pair of glasses in the trailer as spares to assist those pair of eyes.

As Iowa Dave can attest, stuff happens and glasses break. I also have eye glass screws and tools.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I keep an old pair of glasses in the trailer as spares to assist those pair of eyes.

As Iowa Dave can attest, stuff happens and glasses break. I also have eye glass screws and tools.
Hi: gbaglo... A few weeks ago a neighbour couldn't unhitch. He was banging away with a toy hammer so I got my mallet. That didn't work either so I said "Why not just pull the pins from the stinger and drive ahead". The whole hitch stinger fell on the ground. His eyes couldn't see as they were too close!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt".
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Oh, I almost forgot, a grease gun to lube the dexter axles.
I suppose if you're on a year-long trip covering thousands of kilometres this would make sense. Otherwise, why not do bearing maintenance at home? There's no reason for it to be a daily or even monthly thing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #15

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think both of you need to continue to carry your mini-workshop with you and just let everyone else where you will be, so we can come and borrow some tools..........
Seriously, I try to keep my tools inside a small tackle box, pliers, screw drivers, but there is one Escape specific, a Robertson screw driver. seems like everything is attached using one of these.
What size or sizes of the square screws used in the trailer?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #16

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
What size or sizes of the square screws used in the trailer?
I think someone reported it was a #2.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #17

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
I think someone reported it was a #2.
That is what I would have guessed. This is the most common size.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Besides the tools already mentioned, I also carry a spare water pump and a couple of related parts and hoses, and a couple of spare trailer lug nuts.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd suggest an extra wedge led or incandescent bulb for the license plate light, it is the only non led exterior light that can burn out now on the Escape, and at night time would likely result in a ticket.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I suppose if you're on a year-long trip covering thousands of kilometres this would make sense. Otherwise, why not do bearing maintenance at home? There's no reason for it to be a daily or even monthly thing.
I guess we have a different set of circumstances, our trailer is stored over a thousand miles from home. Our trailer never has been home and since we live in Southeast Alaska it never will be home.