Tools & parts needed for long trip - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Tools & parts needed for long trip

Okay, planning an appx 2 month trip. I've got some tools already, such as the thingie for testing the lug nuts (okay, torque wrench for those that want to be more technical ) and some other basic tools such as wrenches and screwdrivers. And a big roll of duct tape.

Any suggestions on what else I'll need to take with me?

How about spare parts for whatever might go haywire on me that I'll need to figure out how to replace/fix after massive amounts of swearing happens.

But, seriously, what should I bring with me? I'm pretty well stocked for short trips, figuring if something really did go wrong, I'd be close enough to home where Dirk could fix it. That won't be the case on this trip.

Thanks!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
spare 12v fuses, spare main 40? amp fuse, multitester,paper maps for gps back up.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Pay no attention to me because I carry far too much. 4 tool boxes (electrical, general, rarely used, and vehicle), 3 bins of parts & supplies (electrical, plumbing, fasteners) 12V air compressor, drill & impact driver, heat gun, etc. My excuse is I'm on the road for 6 - 8 months at a time, often far from hardware stores, and I hate to be without a tool that would fix what ever problem creeps up.

You would be surprised how much can be done with just a Leatherman...
Old 01-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jon, remind me to camp next to you whenever possible!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I can confirm that parking next to Jon is like being next to an Ace Hardware store. He also lightened his trailer a bit last year at Quartzsite and kept putting freebies out that he no longer needed and that was in his 17. I can only imagine what he's carrying in the 21 now.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #6

Yes, Jon has saved me a couple of times with his vast array of "extras" he carries.....Jon, you wouldn't have an extra one of these, would you?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
we have spent the past 3 years living in our 19 from March to September/ October while travel/ working our way around the US. We carry tools, drills, spare hardware, caulk, glues, etc. We have used much of it and we have also made multiple trips to the store for items we didn't pack. We stay pretty close to the main towns and cities so finding stuff on the road is fairly easy. Google and a working browser is pretty valuable. when the laminate on our dinette pealed we had to get creative! ;-)

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #8

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Dirk has several of those that he uses but I really don't like them. I can't get a good grip on them and they hurt my hands to use.

So, out of all your tools in your various tool boxes, any suggestions for someone that doesn't want to carry a bazillion tools (and probably wouldn't know how to use half of 'em anyway) and doesn't have a lot of strength in her hands to use them.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #9

American Express, never leave home without it.......
Old 01-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
American Express, never leave home without it.......

As a long-time Amex cardholder, I strongly suggest VISA or MasterCard instead... if you want to be able to use the card anywhere you need something.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
So, out of all your tools in your various tool boxes, any suggestions for someone that doesn't want to carry a bazillion tools (and probably wouldn't know how to use half of 'em anyway) and doesn't have a lot of strength in her hands to use them.
Perhaps a small cordless impact driver/drill, because it can turn screws that would otherwise be difficult... and it also works as a drill.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Perhaps a small cordless impact driver/drill, because it can turn screws that would otherwise be difficult... and it also works as a drill.
Got that already - least I think I do! Thanks!
Old 01-10-2018, 03:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Pay no attention to me because I carry far too much. 4 tool boxes (electrical, general, rarely used, and vehicle), 3 bins of parts & supplies (electrical, plumbing, fasteners) 12V air compressor, drill & impact driver, heat gun, etc. My excuse is I'm on the road for 6 - 8 months at a time, often far from hardware stores, and I hate to be without a tool that would fix what ever problem creeps up.

Jon, you're possibly the only person that might carry more tools and spares than me. I definitely always have my Leatherman with me.

I agree with the suggested items to have with you. There's no excuse for being disabled by not having a spare fuse etc. and a multi-meter to do some really basic checks.

On a recent thread centered around a leak in a hose I could only shake my head. One hose clamp over some wrapped tape would have made it serviceable instantly. It's one thing to be prepared to always have someone else do work on your trailer but it's another thing to be in a situation where no one's available but an owner who has to tools and spares could eliminate the problem without being hugely inconvenienced.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Jon, you're possibly the only person that might carry more tools and spares than me. I definitely always have my Leatherman with me.

I agree with the suggested items to have with you. There's no excuse for being disabled by not having a spare fuse etc. and a multi-meter to do some really basic checks.

On a recent thread centered around a leak in a hose I could only shake my head. One hose clamp over some wrapped tape would have made it serviceable instantly. It's one thing to be prepared to always have someone else do work on your trailer but it's another thing to be in a situation where no one's available but an owner who has to tools and spares could eliminate the problem without being hugely inconvenienced.

Ron
Seeing it has mostly been so bloody cold here lately, along with me having a bloody cold, and work being stupid busy, I was planning on bringing lots of tools to do some of the mods I have the materials for but have not had time to do. Depending on what I get done before leaving, I might just cross a lot of things off the list and rent from you guys.

I never saw Jon's tool kit when at an Escape rally with him, but I do remember you having a topper full of them, Jon.

Just kidding of course. Tough my basic kit might not be as all encompassing, I do insist on having the tools and most parts I may need.That, or be willing to run out to get them which is hopefully not too much trouble.

Oh yeah, and another vote here for a Leatherman. Amazing what can be done with one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Oh yeah, and another vote here for a Leatherman. Amazing what can be done with one.
And my favorite "leatherman" is actually made by Victorinox the SwissTool X has outlasted all my others.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
This is my regular list. It's probably more basic than a lot of people carry.
duct tape
8"crescent wrench
Phillips and regular screwdriver, 2 sizes of each.
channel locks
needle nose pliers
zip ties
razor knife
multitool
a small level
hammer
hacksaw
electric adapters
mini pry bar
electrical tape
extra fuses
garden gloves
utility scissors
a plastic poncho for wearing or lying on to fix something underneath
wd40
measuring tape
reflective tape
a couple sizes bungy cords
a length of lightweight cord
a master lock and cable
drill, charger, and a few bits
large flashlight
Old 01-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Silicone plumber's grease - for pushing on hoses, helping parts move, preventing corrosion, etc.

3M - 5200 calk/adhesive. The strongest, most watertight calk known to mankind. (Also the slowest to cure, but likes to cure in the presence of moisture.) I've used it in places where welding might be expected.

5 minute epoxy for times when you can't wait the 7 days recommended for 5200.

And of course WD-40 for everything else. (Will it substitute for cooking spray? I don't know...)

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You're gonna want to get a proper screwdriver - a Robertson - to supplement that Phillips.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
garden gloves
Okay, I gotta ask. What gardening do you do when camping? Is it legal (yet)?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You're gonna want to get a proper screwdriver - a Robertson - to supplement that Phillips.
Yes, a #2 head.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote