Totally Freaking Out! - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Totally Freaking Out!

Ok I could use a little support from the community. In two days I leave for Chilliwack. I'm a bit nervous about towing home. Since I dropped my $500 deposit I have be reading lots about safety. I have limited towing experience. At work sometimes I drive a Tower Ladder which is a 47' straight job through traffic with lights and sirens in heavy traffic. I also have a Class B CDL. Once I towed a hot rod with no engine for a friend about 60 miles. I understand there will be a learning curve, but should pick up on this fast. At which point did you feel a bit comfortable towing your Escape after picking it up?

GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
Ok I could use a little support from the community. In two days I leave for Chilliwack. I'm a bit nervous about towing home. Since I dropped my $500 deposit I have be reading lots about safety. I have limited towing experience. At work sometimes I drive a Tower Ladder which is a 47' straight job through traffic with lights and sirens in heavy traffic. I also have a Class B CDL. Once I towed a hot rod with no engine for a friend about 60 miles. I understand there will be a learning curve, but should pick up on this fast. At which point did you feel a bit comfortable towing your Escape after picking it up?
I would expect less than an hour. Once you experience how nicely your Escape tows, you will relax. But keep in mind, even after towing it thousands of miles you will still experience conditions that make you nervous like heavy rush hour traffic with drivers who weave in and out or who can't seem to stay in their own lane and "drift" over the lane lines. Just tow at a reasonable speed (60 max, for me) and you will be OK.

"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Mirrors are important. If you can see to safely change lanes, the rest is not too bad.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
It would not be a bad idea to get some instruction right away. This will instil some good habits into your towing. There is a place in Chilliwack others have used, and thought good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Valley Driving School is very close to ETI. If u are going right back over the border, maybe a U.S. Forum member knows of a US Driving School in Washington near the border. You'll need to book an hour or two.

Setting the brake controller was a bit of a learning experience. Specially trying to figure out if you have someone behind you before you test the controller. For us never having towed before it took some time to learn how it felt to have the controller slowing the tug. And its not like you just set the controller once and forget about it. Test it often.

Driving mountains, up and down hilly, curvy terrain can be hairy the first few times. Specially in holiday traffic.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The biggest thing for me was remembering it was back there when I was making turns.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
You'll do fine. And it's great that you take possession in Sumas so you can get the feel for towing in rural Whatcom County where there are good roads and little traffic.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
You'll do fine. And it's great that you take possession in Sumas so you can get the feel for towing in rural Whatcom County where there are good roads and little traffic.
Karen do you recommend any other road done to Burlington besides I-5?
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
You could follow Hwy 9 all the way from Sumas to Sedro Woolley and then cut west on Hwy 20 to I-5. It is a very good secondary highway with some curves (and one roundabout) and not much traffic. Plus, you'd get to go through Van Zandt and stop in at Everybody's Store and through Acme and stop in at the Acme Diner. In fact, you could take it all the way to Everett but the traffic--and traffic lights--starts to pile up south of Arlington. I would cut over on Hwy 20. See Google Maps.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Totally Freaking Out!

Vinny, my response might seem kind of strange but here goes. I find driving while towing to be a less stressful and more enjoyable experience than driving while not towing. I've always been a "faster" driver, and because of several years in law enforcement, I've had training in high speed tactical driving, etc. Because of this, I've sometimes had trouble relaxing while driving and traffic can drive me crazy. I was always stressing, aggravated and in a hurry.

When I'm towing, it forces me to have a different mindset. I know that I can't whip in and out of congestion or pass slower drivers on a whim. So, my entire approach is different. Taking my time, not worrying or stressing, watching the "other guy" be in a hurry instead of me, and ironically, chuckling as I watch the "maniacs" dodge in and out of lanes in an attempt to win the freeway wars.

My wife has even commented on this sea change several times. She likes this driver better than the other one. He's a happier man.

Just relax and take your time. You'll get used to the feel of it, and after a short time you'll be able to take corners and do backing like a veteran.