Tow vehicle bargain - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2015, 10:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Tow vehicle bargain

Don't know if this is appropriate to post here, if I have erred perhaps the moderator will pull this post?

More truck than I, or probably anyone else towing an Escape, needs, but while "tire-kicking" a new good used truck for myself (thinking about replacing my Ranger), ran across this great buy, for anyone in the market in the local area (central Vancouver Island).

2004 Ram 2500 Lariat Club Cab, but with 8-ft bed, and only 57,000 km, and pristine condition, $13k. Owned by elderly gentleman who has been told by his doctor he must stop driving, poor guy, so he took his truck to local dealer to sell for him. Just came in yesterday. Dealer says age of truck drives price down more than would be expected for the low mileage.

Sounds like a screaming good buy for the right buyer. Parksville Chrysler. No I have no affiliation, if it weren't for the huge & unnecessary bed length I'd buy it myself.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Qualicum is probably a great place for vehicle deals. My aged buddy lost his license several years ago and sold a Toyota Corolla in pristine condition for a song. Low miles and every service. Dealer told him to stop bringing it in so often.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, May 2014
Hmm. Is there ap link to the dealer that is selling the vehicle? Would like to see more details... In particular, the rrive train ...
Fletch Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #4

Qualicum Beach, T – Median age1 of the population. In 2011, the median age in Qualicum Beach, T was 63.9 years. In comparison, the median age of British Columbia was 41.9 years.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have never understood why, but you will always take a bigger hit for years than miles. I can't believe what dealers want for some of these newer pickups with over 100,000 miles on them. That didn't make buying a new truck look that bad. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Age does matter, even if mileage is low. Most people want whatever features are currently fashionable, and an older vehicle won't have them even if it is in showroom condition. Don't expect to synch your phone to a 2004 truck. That certainly affects the price, although it may not be a concern at all to many buyers.

Also, in some ways a vehicle degrades even when not driven. I've haven't had much of this sort of problem, but seals and hoses can fail when they get old, even (or perhaps especially) if they haven't been used much. In some areas, they rust fast enough that a 10-year-old vehicle is old, regardless of mileage.

Still, a 10-year-old 57,000 km truck sounds like a good value for someone looking for this type of vehicle. Of course, it's a Chrysler, so I would want to know about its history to see if it's one of the fix-every-month lemons that Chrysler seems to build a lot of...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:46 PM   #7

I've got 77,000 km on my 2008 RAV4.
It's had every service on time.
Not planning to sell any time soon.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I still drive a 1993 Ford XLT; it still looks pretty darned good and it keeps on truckin'. I have no use for all the new gadgets except I wouldn't mind a temperature gauge (outside) on the dashboard. Using the Ford website, it would cost close to $50K to replace it. Bah.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I still drive a 1993 Ford XLT; it still looks pretty darned good and it keeps on truckin'. I have no use for all the new gadgets except I wouldn't mind a temperature gauge (outside) on the dashboard. Using the Ford website, it would cost close to $50K to replace it. Bah.
Still drive 1992 Ford XLT . Love the wind wings on my truck . She keeps on trucking too ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
98,000 miles on our 2012 Highlander, engine hasn't ever been cold. Seriously it has been a good vehicle. Running Mobil One full synthetic. Have pulled the 19 about 20,000 miles in the past two years. Had the brakes checked last week, dealer said come and see him in the spring.
We are conservative on brakes and don't do Jackrabbit starts, like we were taught in Drivers
Ed 50 years ago. Wish I would have listened to the rest of the teachers that well, would have been in better overall condition if I had. I was right about one thing, I never needed the memorized Shakespeare but thats about it
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: rfs... I get great service out of brakes. My mechanic always says so... and my wife accuses me of not stopping? I seem to get better mpg's than anyone but I was never good at math either!!!
Bill Shake a spear had a way with words... but "I did it my way".
As for used vehicles I find very good ones...usually, but then there's always one I shouldn't have found. Here's a pic. of a good find. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1000688.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
I was right about one thing, I never needed the memorized Shakespeare but thats about it.
That's a shame...
Attached Thumbnails
Shakespeare.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You can't get much work out of an 83 person crew quoting classic literature but they will work if they respect you and if they know they are not being asked to do anything the boss hasn't done himself or would help them do or teach them to do. That's my experience and how I raised my three Valedictorians, graduated 10 Eagle Scouts and supervised crews for 32 years and it worked for me. Although I did find a skull washed out of a side hill in a cemetery our city inherited once and as I held it up for all to see, poetically stated. " Alas poor Yorick, I knew him well" so I guess all was not lost.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #14

Fiat Chrysler must offer to buy back 500,000 Ram pickups; biggest such action in US history | Star Tribune just saying ;(
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Cypherian... Psst!!! I can get you a ram good deal. There'll be a lot of 'em so just grab one by the horns.
A few years ago they overstated the tow capacity for the Dakota SRT truck, and had to do the same thing!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote