Tow vehicle decision - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #41

As soon as Toyota brings the diesel Hi Lux to this country I am buying one :} I am not sure I would buy a first year model again I did it once and learned my lesson. IMHO

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #42

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Just thought I would toss this tow vehicle in the mix.....
Attached Thumbnails
Truck.jpg  
Old 07-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #43

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Hey I think I saw that guy on my way home last week . Not really, but we did notice that the closer we got to Alberta the larger the trucks and the larger the trailers got. That has to be a ft Mac Alberta special
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #44

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilycook View Post
A supercharger might be in Alan's future otherwise I see a 21 being hard to pull in the high mountains of Colorado.
Lets see, 1-Toyota supercharger: $3000 parts, $1000 labor. Perhaps I can take donations from unfortunate vehicles stuck behind me on that climb over Loveland Pass (11,991 ft., 3655 m.)?
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #45

Trailer: 2012 15A
Add this rig to the possible tow options. This photo was taken this summer on the BC side of the Peace Country area. Quite close to the Alberta border so there could be some cross border trickle over effect? They do love their big RV's in the north!

The gap between the cab and the hitch is not wasted space. Normally they travel with a quad or side by side loaded in there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5047r.jpg  
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Just thought I would toss this tow vehicle in the mix.....
Yeah, okay, it's this one or the Frontier. I gotta go measure my garage again...
Old 07-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
Hey I think I saw that guy on my way home last week . Not really, but we did notice that the closer we got to Alberta the larger the trucks and the larger the trailers got. That has to be a ft Mac Alberta special
Nope it resides in southern Alberta...
Old 07-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape
Consider the size of the tow vehicle that Reace switched to for towing the Escape 21 and the dual axle Escape 5.0ta.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
That has to be a ft Mac Alberta special
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Nope it resides in southern Alberta...
I thought that looked familiar... it is one of Western R.V. Country's "monster"-sized gimmicks. Clever
Funny RV: Every Monster Truck Deserves a Monster RV
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Add this rig to the possible tow options. This photo was taken this summer on the BC side of the Peace Country area. Quite close to the Alberta border so there could be some cross border trickle over effect? They do love their big RV's in the north!
Ah yes, the classic Class 8 highway tractor with an extra-light load. Often the truck starts with tandem drive axles and is converted to just one to be more suitable. I think it's amusing that the standard commercial fifth-wheel fits an RV trailer (including an Escape 5.0), and is even at a suitable height (although perhaps not for an Escape 5.0).

I think this type of rig is found all over North America, although I've seen them mostly in B.C., and my guess is that they're particularly popular with people who are already comfortable driving a big rig. They don't use much more fuel than a pickup towing the same trailer. Now isn't that disappointingly routine...
Old 07-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
As soon as Toyota brings the diesel Hi Lux to this country I am buying one :}
Don't hold your breath... a diesel Tundra seems more likely to arrive before a diesel Tacoma (or Hilux). In any case, it's a matter of marketing decisions, so nothing is entirely predictable.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #52

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Consider the size of the tow vehicle that Reace switched to for towing the Escape 21 and the dual axle Escape 5.0ta.
He also uses it to tow his horse trailer. 3 horses would exceed 3000 pounds. Just guessing but he could be towing in excess of 5000 pounds. Brian
Old 07-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
[QUOTE=MyronL;60371]My new daily driver/tow vehicle, 4wd 5.3L V-8 (uses from 8 to 4 valves automatically) averaged 21.5 mpg (city/highway) not towing recently, (thanks Tonneau cover?). Tow capacity 5200-6200 pounds depending on what I read. '14 Silverado double cab short bed.

Hey Myron, just brought home a 2013 Yukon with same motor. Specs are 15/21. After checking it out I remember you saying earlier that the engine went to 4 cyl when cruising. Replaces a Highlander, so now I'm not thinking about vehicle tow limit anymore. Will still use a WDH after talking with service manager.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
My new daily driver/tow vehicle, 4wd 5.3L V-8 (uses from 8 to 4 valves automatically) averaged 21.5 mpg (city/highway) not towing recently, (thanks Tonneau cover?). Tow capacity 5200-6200 pounds depending on what I read.

Haven't made really big trip towing yet, but are in love again. Probably won't wait until late Sept trip north rim of the Grand Canyon.

'14 Silverado double cab short bed. The maroon balloon. Nice flaps, eh? Also has insanely amazing dashboard graphics info.
I have the same vehicle (including mudflaps) and have similar results. Have 3.42 rear end rated to tow 9600 lbs. Pulled Casita well and expecting it too pull the 21' with no problem. I ordered clip on towing mirrors from etrailer today. I wasn't sure they were absolutely needed, but wanted to be more safe than sorry.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Don't hold your breath... a diesel Tundra seems more likely to arrive before a diesel Tacoma (or Hilux). In any case, it's a matter of marketing decisions, so nothing is entirely predictable.
Way to rain on my parade ... PFFTTT!!!!!
:}

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
We've been researching tow vehicles for our 21, due to hatch this November. We picked one, and we're planning on spending Friday haggling with the dealer on a (new, 2014) Nissan Frontier 4x4 crew cab, Pro 4X trim.

I drove one the other day, and it was okay. Definitely not a Miata, but comfortable, and I was able to keep it between the white lines and everything. It's just the two of us and a pair of smallish terriers -- the 2nd row of seats is for the terriers, of course.

We don't want a full-size truck, and we think the Frontier has the oomph and stability we need to tow comfortably. We don't know that we'll need it but we're planning to use an Anderson hitch, again to maximize towing comfort; we've not pulled anything heavier than a Hobie Cat in the past.

If anyone thinks this is a poor choice, please weigh in! We only buy cars every 10-15 years so we want to get it right. Thanks!
Sorry to jump-in so late on this thread, but we have a 2011 Frontier SL 4x4 short bed (factory tow package) with an Andersen hitch and our 19' is the first trailer I've ever towed. I love my truck! I had a '72 Datsun 510 (first car I ever bought new [$1,800 ] and they still make great vehicles. On our maiden voyage, I hauled our 19' over Stevens Pass and was able to make it with no problems what-so-ever. I plan on keeping mine for at least 10 years; maybe we can trade 'em in together.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:43 AM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
As soon as Toyota brings the diesel Hi Lux to this country I am buying one :} I am not sure I would buy a first year model again I did it once and learned my lesson. IMHO

Cypher
Well if that takes too long, why not import such a truck from Europe? They are plentyfull available overhere, since it would be an export truck you don't need to worry about taxes etc. Best country to buy such a truck new would be Germany though.

Easy...
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:13 AM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seef View Post
Well if that takes too long, why not import such a truck from Europe? They are plentyfull available overhere, since it would be an export truck you don't need to worry about taxes etc. Best country to buy such a truck new would be Germany though.

Easy...
Unfortunately it's not possible to import a Hi Lux into the US because of our EPA regulations. Many have wanted to, since it's pretty much indestructible compared to the Toyotas sold here. Part of it is a set of antiquated EPA rules that do not take into account that modern diesels don't have anywhere near the emissions of the older ones. The other reason is that the manufacturer will do everything they can to prevent a vehicle intended for one market to be sold in another, so they use their pull to lobby for laws and regs which make the importation difficult if not impossible.

When I was in Japan a couple of years ago I visited a mall, and I was astonished at the number of different types of cell phones that were available -- designs which I had never seen before and that would sell like crazy if brought to the US. Different market but similar effect-- the US consumer loses out.

How To Import a Toyota Hilux Into The USA
Old 07-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #59

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
You can import one to Canada but it has to a older one , I think it's 15 or 20 years old
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Okay, just read the entire thread (better late than never, huh?). IMHO, comment above is the best advice I've seen so far. I'm pretty sure Reace used a Frontier a couple of years ago as his TV and if anybody can speak with authority on the matter, it'd be him.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote

« Funny Signs | Door »