Tow vehicle decision - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Okay, just read the entire thread (better late than never, huh?). IMHO, comment above is the best advice I've seen so far. I'm pretty sure Reace used a Frontier a couple of years ago as his TV and if anybody can speak with authority on the matter, it'd be him.
I know. Wife and I have been seriously talking about trading in the MKX for an F150.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #62

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We had planned to get a Frontier to pull our new to us 5.0, but ended up with an F150 and although only one trip with the trailer thus far I am happy we got it, the space inside is great, only a Supercab but seats six meaning we could take all four of our local grandkids camping but not sure we'd really want to do that though!

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
we could take all four of our local grandkids camping but not sure we'd really want to do that though!
To quote Donna, "that's what a tent is for".
Old 07-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #64

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
And after all of that sage advice and a bit of diverse opinion... we ended up getting the Frontier anyway. As with others, we have to use it for varying purposes and therefore had to compromise. We actually made the decision that if it meant we must choose a 19 over the 21, so be it.

Since there are those pulling 21s and 5.0TAs with this and similar vehicles, I think -- probably -- not 100% sure -- our plan as of this moment is to go ahead with our 21 purchase, and if we're unhappy with after a season or two we'll downsize (one of the benefits of getting a trailer that holds its value well).

We do have a few passes to traverse here in the northwest. Really high passes are a no-go in our household regardless -- DW doesn't do "ledges" very well. Lower passes in the 3-4K level we figure we can handle with the Frontier; just have to be patient and stay within the vehicle's limits. We'll see how we do. The bulk of our camping will be at sea level--all of which I omitted from my original post.

The discussion here has been very helpful and informative - if for no other reason, to help us set realistic expectations. Thanks to all of you and we'll try to remember to pull over so you can charge on by us going up the hills.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Looks stable with the 125" wheel base, 4700 lb. curb weight. Good torque- 281 @4000 rpm. Might have to rev motor some on hills, but that's ok, just have to get used to it.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Right, Carl, Ross. Me too-- 3.42 rear end, towing capacity 9600 pounds. Never worry about towing capacity again. What I like almost as much as the air conditioner (98° here today) and the ride, is the dashboard graphics exclaiming so far my best avg mpg was 30.5. (Pass the salt.)
:
Old 07-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #67

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Unfortunately it's not possible to import a Hi Lux into the US because of our EPA regulations...
Part of it is a set of antiquated EPA rules that do not take into account that modern diesels don't have anywhere near the emissions of the older ones.
I don't think there is any conspiracy against diesels by the EPA; after all, most of the heavier (Ford Super Duty, GM & Ram HD) pickups sold here are diesels, and VW and others sell a range of diesel cars. Toyota could easily sell a diesel truck here if they chose to. The problem is that it is difficult for an individual to import to Canada or the U.S. any vehicle not specifically approved for sale here. Your desired vehicle may even meet U.S. emission regulations, but no one has put it through the test program to certify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
You can import one to Canada but it has to a older one , I think it's 15 or 20 years old
In Canada the age to exempt a vehicle from most of the rules that make importation difficult is 25 years; I think it might be the same in the U.S. It is reasonably common to find oddball vehicles (diesel Toyotas including Land Cruisers, Nissan Skylines, various Japanese Kei-class trucks) here, having been imported from Japan at 25 years old.

I don't think I would want a diesel truck with quarter-century-old engine technology. Also, although a Euro vehicle might be the most desirable, the readily available source is Japan... and their stuff is all right-hand-drive.

Another approach is to import just the drivetrain (a recent used unit) for transplanting into the same model of truck sold here; a challenge is that due to punitive U.S. import tariffs for trucks, few are sold in the same models in North America and anywhere else. The discontinued Colorado and the current Frontier might be the closest.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:15 PM   #68
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't think there is any conspiracy against diesels by the EPA;
Who said anything about a conspiracy? ...lol

The diesels built for sale in the US have different requirements than the ones built for overseas sale. I got that from a guy who worked for EPA for 20 years. So, I agree that it's more a certification issue. Sad though. HiLux is a nearly perfect truck.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #69

Quote:
Quote:
Another approach is to import just the drivetrain (a recent used unit) for transplanting into the same model of truck sold here; a challenge is that due to punitive U.S. import tariffs for trucks, few are sold in the same models in North America and anywhere else. The discontinued Colorado and the current Frontier might be the closest.
This article had a link to DieselToys; they take the approach I described, but with Toyota truck and SUV models. I don't know how closely the Tacoma and Hilux match, but the complete conversion to a current engine is about $26,000... plus, of course, you supply the Tacoma. I don't question the validity of the cost of the labour-intensive conversion, but I don't see anything like enough value for me to consider it.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:52 PM   #70
Site Team

I agree. Every truck owner I talk too says there is a market for a mid-size diesel Tacoma in the US, and they all wonder why it's not available here. Conversion? Cost prohibitive and complicated.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seef View Post
Well if that takes too long, why not import such a truck from Europe? They are plentyfull available overhere, since it would be an export truck you don't need to worry about taxes etc. Best country to buy such a truck new would be Germany though.

Easy...
Unfortunately my pockets are not that deep to do a conversion
:{ nor even consider importing one from Germany. Speaking of conversion how goes the changes to your Escape ??

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #72

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Right, Carl, Ross. Me too-- 3.42 rear end, towing capacity 9600 pounds. Never worry about towing capacity again. What I like almost as much as the air conditioner (98° here today) and the ride, is the dashboard graphics exclaiming so far my best avg mpg was 30.5. (Pass the salt.)
:
What do you do, drive down hill all of the time? I've got the GMC with the 3.73 rear end and don't come close to that. But I haven't had it on the open road much and its first road trip to Chilliwack is in 4 weeks so we'll see. New A.R.E. tonneau cover going on Wednesday. The J2807 tow rating is at 10800 pounds. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
The fish was this big...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
What do you do, drive down hill all of the time? I've got the GMC with the 3.73 rear end and don't come close to that. But I haven't had it on the open road much and its first road trip to Chilliwack is in 4 weeks so we'll see. New A.R.E. tonneau cover going on Wednesday. The J2807 tow rating is at 10800 pounds. Loren
My 2014 silverado will do 22+ mpg at 55-60 mph. Did 24+ with a pine tree in the back at 45-50 mph ( trying not to blow the branches off coming back from home improvement store.) Maybe 30 with a tail wind, the right temp, and little help from a downhill? I do have fold-a-cover on the back.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #74
Site Team

Yeah, the new Silverado makes an outstanding tow vehicle.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #75

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Yeah, the new Silverado makes an outstanding tow vehicle.
Yeah, but the last I checked, it was still being made by GM.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #76
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yeah, but the last I checked, it was still being made by GM.
Yeah, unfortunate that.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #77

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I kid of course, it is only circumstantial that the last GM product I owned was 40 years ago.

edit: I lied. I bought the kids a Chevy Cavalier for their use about 8 years ago. That car lasted great, especially given the cheap price I bought it for. My favourite GM vehicle was a 1964 Oldsmobile F-85 Cutlass.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seef View Post
Best country to buy such a truck new would be Germany though.
Although the importation scheme is more trouble than it's worth for almost everyone I'm still curious: why would Germany be the best European source for a new truck?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Quote:
Although the importation scheme is more trouble than it's worth for almost everyone I'm still curious: why would Germany be the best European source for a new truck?
In my experience the cars in Germany are the cheapist to buy. Allthough we have one Europe, that doesn't mean all the taxes and base prices for everything is the same.

The baseprice for a vehicle (without taxes etc.) is lower in Germany than it is in the Netherlands.
After that taxes enter the playing field and you start to understand/learn there is no such thing as one Europe.

Have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:36 AM   #80

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Speaking of conversion how goes the changes to your Escape ??

Cypher
The Escape is in the waiting room at the coach builder. It is vacation time overhere and modification to the axle and kingpin are planned to start in week 33 and should be finished in week 35. Hopefully it will have a certification pass in that same week. After that it takes 5 days to get the license plates.

So after that we hopefully leave for the maidenvoyage.

W'll keep you posted on any progress..

Have fun!

Severinus and Yvonne
Seef is offline   Reply With Quote

« Funny Signs | Door »