Tow vehicle tire pressure - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I like the air suspension on the Jeep, but I would definitely get a full sized spare. Perhaps mount the full sized spare on the trailer and mount the trailer spare inside or underneath the Jeep? Possibly work.....
Old 11-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
I’d love to hear more about the collapsible spare tire.
Maybe that’s the one with an air compressor to air it up when needed?
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
When I picked up our 21' Reace had me put extra air in the rear tires. I was running 32 psi from the nameplate on the doorpost. Can't remember how much, think was an extra 3 to 5 psi. Have always done it since. Figure it can't hurt. Running a 2014 Silverado with 275 55 R20. By the way the spare is full size but not R20. Nameplate calls for 36 psi in it.

The dealer always puts in 35 psi in the tires when I have the truck serviced, despite the nameplate. Not sure why. Rides a bit rough with that so I usually drop it back down to 32 psi when not towing. Just had Michelin Defenders put on to replace Goodyear Wranglers. Wasn't quite due, but like to a have as bit more tread coming into winter. Shocking when you look at stopping distance when getting toward end of life on wet or snow.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #24

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I like the air suspension on the Jeep, but I would definitely get a full sized spare. Perhaps mount the full sized spare on the trailer and mount the trailer spare inside or underneath the Jeep? Possibly work.....
I am in conversation with Jeep now about what the window sticker on what I bought called a 'full size spare'. To my mind, a spare that is not the same size as what's on the other wheels is not 'full sized'. We'll see how that shakes out.

The Trailhawk does make for a capable TV. Were it totally my choice, I would have bought a full sized pickup with the factory tow package. We are, however, a one car family and management vetoed a truck in favor of an SUV. ( I get one vote and she gets 1.5)

This model has another nice feature called Trailer Sway Control.(TSC)

"TSC uses sensors in the vehicle to recognize an excessively swaying trailer and will take the appropriate actions to attempt to stop the sway. TSC will become active automatically once an excessively swaying trailer is recognized.

NOTE: TSC cannot stop all trailers from swaying. Always use caution when towing a trailer and follow the trailer tongue weight recommendations. Refer to “Trailer Tow ing” in “Starting And Operating” for further information.

When TSC is functioning, the “ESC Activation/ Malfunction Indicator Light” will flash, the engine power may be reduced and you may feel the brakes being applied to individual wheels to attempt to stop the trailer from swaying. TSC is disabled when the ESC system is in the “Partial Off” or “Full Off” modes.
WARNING!
If TSC activates while driving, slow the vehicle down, stop at the nearest safe location, and adjust the trailer load to eliminate trailer sway. "

Plus as long as your trailer weighs less than 5,000#, you don't need a WDH. The auto-level feature simply adjusts for the tongue weight applied to keep the Jeep level. We are minimalists so I should be able to keep the trip-ready weight in the 4,200# range. At least that's the plan.

Towing the Casita 17, about 3,000#, I used neither a sway bar nor a WDH. Of course an Escape 21 weighs about 1,200#+- more. I'm going to start towing 'as is' and adjust if conditions dictate.

Enjoy your travels

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
I’d love to hear more about the collapsible spare tire.
Maybe that’s the one with an air compressor to air it up when needed?
From the Owners Manual.

Collapsible Spare Tire — If Equipped
The collapsible spare is for temporary emergency use only. You can identify if your vehicle is equipped with a collapse ible spare by looking at the spare tire description on the Tire and Loading Information Placard located on the driver’s side door opening or on the sidewall of the tire.
Collapsible spare tire description example: 165/80-17 101P.
Since this tire has limited tread life, the original equipment tire should be repaired (or replaced) and reinstalled on your vehicle at the first opportunity.
Inflate collapsible tire only after the wheel is properly installed to the vehicle. Inflate the collapsible tire using the electric air pump before lowering the vehicle.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
As part of my education, I reread the Grand Cherokee Owners Manual. There are no less than FIVE spare tire possibilities on this model.

Spare tire matching original equipment
Compact spare tire
Collapsible spare tire
Full size spare for temporary use (I think this is what I have)
Limited use spare (or maybe this. I dont know)
I think your choice is correct; it is not a temporary-type tire.

A reason for the variety of equipment is that they are trying to match a variety of regular tires on the vehicle, some of which can be exactly matched by a tire in the spare tire well, while others are too large for that. Rolling diameter of the regular tires varies, too, so different spares might be appropriate. Another reason is probably weight: heavier equipment (not just tires) may lead to making up for a bit of the extra weight with lighter spare. Type of use varies as well: a Trailhawk owner is more likely to need a highly functional spare tire on some back road than a Trackhawk owner who likely wouldn't drive over a bit of gravel, be out of phone and roadside assistance coverage, or even touch a dirty tire.

Collapsible spares were somewhat common decades ago, but I didn't know that anyone still used them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
When I picked up our 21' Reace had me put extra air in the rear tires. I was running 32 psi from the nameplate on the doorpost. Can't remember how much, think was an extra 3 to 5 psi. Have always done it since. Figure it can't hurt. Running a 2014 Silverado with 275 55 R20.
That's reasonable (although in some cases an extra 5 psi could cause problems). It is very different from pumping those tires to the maximum pressure marked on the sidewall - that could easily be as high as 65 PSI - which is what is what the Escape manual says to do.

Quote:
By the way the spare is full size but not R20. Nameplate calls for 36 psi in it.
That sounds like Ed's situation: higher pressure for a differently sized (and probably slightly narrower) tire. Some Silverados have been coming with a 265/70R17 spare, which is one of the regular tire options for this truck.

Quote:
The dealer always puts in 35 psi in the tires when I have the truck serviced, despite the nameplate. Not sure why.
I've seen this before, and so I check pressures after any shop has an opportunity to mess them up. My vote would be for incompetence or just plain laziness; they probably put 35 psi in all tires, even if there is supposed to be more. It could also be that they are trying to compensate for inattentive owners who let the pressure drop over the months between visits to the dealer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 2017 19
Jeep GC

FYI I purchased a full size rim and spare tire for our Jeep Grand Cherokee. The full size spare will fit in the well, but the tools and Styrofoam insert will not fit. So far I still have the temporary spare in the Jeep.
dkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirk View Post
FYI I purchased a full size rim and spare tire for our Jeep Grand Cherokee. The full size spare will fit in the well, but the tools and Styrofoam insert will not fit. So far I still have the temporary spare in the Jeep.
I just got off the phone with a Jeep rep.

He repeated just what Brian had said. The spare I have is the standard Grand Cherokee spare. As they roll down the assembly line they all get the same spare. Different drive tires perhaps, but the same spare.

He assured me, as Brian did, that the spare is a fully functional tire but should be replaced with a tire to match the remaining three. Better handling.

I asked about the five spare tire options. He said lots of the info in the Owners Manual is generic in nature. Grand Cherokees all have the full size spare, and only the full sized spare.

OK.
Now I know. I can live with it.

Ed