Towing a 17'B with KIA Sorento 2.0 Litre Turbo - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I was just wondering what type of equipment was on the vehicle as to towing capability. It is conceivable your 19 may weigh less than 3500 from the factory and you should make it home okay. Then you can make another assessment.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I think Jim is pretty accurate on this. Tow with a light cargo load home from the factory, see how the vehicle acts and if it performs to your desired level and you can keep trailer and vehicle cargo to posted limits you'll probably be ok. The mantra Just because you can don't mean you should comes into play here. Safety is job one and you don't want the tail waggin the dog in serious situations. I'd definitely spend the money on the brake controller before I went too far. Planning your route with respect to grades up and down could help you too. A few extra miles might be worth it
Dave

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duer View Post
I could just trade it on a V6, but I'd sure like to try it first and see how it works.
I don't see any reason to trade, unless the combination of the weight of the Kia, passengers, cargo, and the trailer exceeds the Kia's Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). There might not be any performance improvement with the V6, and certainly no stability or safety advantage.

Quote:
I'm believing that KIA has tested the vehicle. Or am I being naive??
I don't think that's naive. Although I don't know offhand if Kia follows the current industry standard for testing to validate towing ratings (SAE J2807), they will have done whatever testing they believe is appropriate.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was just wondering what type of equipment was on the vehicle as to towing capability. It is conceivable your 19 may weigh less than 3500 from the factory and you should make it home okay. Then you can make another assessment.
When did Duer's planned 17B turn into a 19?

All existing Escape 17Bs before the new-for-2017 or second-generation design have a GVWR of 3500 pounds, so they should never be loaded to any more than 3500 pounds, and weigh considerably less when empty. I have forgotten what the new GVWR is, and there is no reliable information from Escape, but surely at least the empty weight will be well under 3500 pounds.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Yes, I have a utility trailer that I've towed about 2400 lbs without any brakes on the trailer.
I put a 3500 # hitch and 7 pin harness but no brake controller yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I'd definitely spend the money on the brake controller before I went too far.
I would agree with Dave, but to me "too far" would be "out of the parking lot where you get the trailer".

Even the utility trailer was too heavy to tow with the Sorrento without brakes, so regardless of what happens with Escape plans, a brake controller belongs in the vehicle.

Kia says (in the owner's manual) that towing any trailer over 750 kg (1,650 pounds) requires that the trailer have brakes. There are trailers (mostly rental units and boat trailers) with their own surge brakes so an electric brake controller is not used, but otherwise you need a controller.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:27 AM   #16

Trailer: 10' Taylor Coach (sold)
Jim,

Taking your thought a little further if you will.
What would wring out this question and a very large ask of some.
If I put a brake controller on my 2.0 litre.
Who out there close to me would be willing to drive my car pulling their 17'B??
That's the old bush pilot in me speaking out now...
Is that too bold an ask??
D
Duer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:59 AM   #17

Trailer: 10' Taylor Coach (sold)
Brian,

Thank you for this in depth response.
And thanks to all the other respondents.
I'll think about all of your responses and then at the end of the day, as usual it's always
about the $money.
Safety margin is a good thing to have and sounds like the Sorento 2.0L would be at it's maximum towing capacity = no margin overrun....
So, I think it may be wise to give this more thought/planning to the towing scenario especially in the mountains and hills.
We all know that hind sight is.... we've all been there before..
When I purchased the car, I had no intentions of buying a 3400# trailer. However now here we are?

Duer
Duer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Brian,

Thank you for this in depth response.
And thanks to all the other respondents.
I'll think about all of your responses and then at the end of the day, as usual it's always
about the $money.
Safety margin is a good thing to have and sounds like the Sorento 2.0L would be at it's maximum towing capacity = no margin overrun....
So, I think it may be wise to give this more thought/planning to the towing scenario especially in the mountains and hills.
We all know that hind sight is.... we've all been there before..
When I purchased the car, I had no intentions of buying a 3400# trailer. However now here we are?

Duer
Hi: Duer... With the longevity of fiberglass trailers, our first was 29 yrs young, there will be a few changes of tugs... I'm sure!!! BTW... you'd be most welcome to drop in at Niagara Wine Escape Sept 16-18th. All Escape models will be there. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020214.jpg (385.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg great group.jpg (75.7 KB, 14 views)

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote