Towing a 17'B with KIA Sorento 2.0 Litre Turbo - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19’ Sold in 2023
Towing a 17'B with KIA Sorento 2.0 Litre Turbo

Hi Folks,

We're considering purchasing a 17'B.
We have a 2016 KIA Sorento 2.0 Litre Turbo rated for 3500 lb towing capacity.
Has anyone with a 17B towed with this vehicle?

Duer,
Duer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Daniel,
I'm sure someone will express an opinion sooner or later, are there any other tow vehicle options you are considering?
Old 08-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Try a search (use the google window, not the site window) and things come up.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Try this:
Attached Thumbnails
Search Forum.png  
Old 08-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I'm interested, too, and found these specs: http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/sorento/2016/features

Q. for those who know- why the torque difference? V6s list 252@5300 and regulars 260 at 1450 rpm? Tow specs are the same (except for AWD which goes up for the V6).

For me- I've also looked at Toyota Rav4 (2012), Toyota Tacoma, and Toyota Highlander. Mileage looks good even on the V6 Sorento.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I'm interested, too, and found these specs: http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/sorento/2016/features

Q. for those who know- why the torque difference? V6s list 252@5300 and regulars 260 at 1450 rpm? Tow specs are the same (except for AWD which goes up for the V6).
The difference is between a non-turbocharged 3.3 L engine (252 lb-ft @ 5,300 rpm) and a turbocharged 2.0 L engine (maximum torque 260 lb-ft @ 1,450 rpm). I wouldn't call the turbo the "regular" engine; the base equipment is a non-turbocharged 2.4 L engine (178 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm). Any engine is optimized to work best (which means getting air and fuel into it) in a limited range of speeds, but the turbocharger pumps air into the engine over a wide range of speed, and the net result is that typical modern turbocharged engines (which includes all diesels) can produce its maximum torque at a relatively low speed. In this case, the peak torque is at 1,450 rpm for the turbo, versus 4,000 rpm and 5,300 rpm for the two non-turbo engines.

The ability to produce good torque at moderate speeds is desirable for engines that need to work relatively hard continuously, such as when towing. This is the only reason (other than fuel consumption) that diesels are desirable... and it is the turbocharger that gives diesels this low-speed ability, too. This might be a reason to prefer the turbo 4-cylinder over the larger non-turbo V6, even though the larger V6 engine has a higher maximum power output.

Keep in mind that while this low-speed torque is a desirable characteristic, any engine still needs to run at relatively high speed to produce its maximum power (such as to climb a mountain grade at highway speed):
2.4 L non-turbo: 185 hp @ 6,000 rpm
3.3 L non-turbo: 290 hp @ 6,400 rpm
2.0 L turbo: 240 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Down at 1,450 rpm, the 2.0 L turbo with the accelerator pedal to the floor will only be producing 71 horsepower; it has to spin faster to do more work. You're probably not going to be doing much towing at engine speeds this low.

Rated towing capacity usually has much more to do with durability than power; the fact that it goes up with AWD suggests that Kia is concerned about drive traction, control, or axle durability, not just the engine. The fact that it goes up with AWD for the 3.3L non-turbo V6 and not the 2.0 L turbo 4 suggests that they are concerned that under sustained high load (such as climbing a mountain), the turbo engine will not be able to avoid overheating with a heavier trailer; turbochargers cause cooling challenges.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
I can't answer your question directly, but i just bought a Kia Sorento with the V6 (rated for 5000 lbs). I have a 17B on order for the spring, but I'm currently towing an Aliner (folding trailer - only about 2000 lbs), and I can tell you that the Kia hardly knows it's there - virtually no change in mileage, rpm, or suspension. Obviously, this is a larger engine with a smaller trailer. I sure love the Kia - such a smooth, quiet ride, and pretty good mileage for a vehicle with a 5000 lb tow capacity (around 8.5-10 l/100 km).
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #8

I could just trade it on a V6, but I'd sure like to try it first and see how it works.
I don't want to take all the depreciation hit right up front without at least a trial run.
But a factory pick up puts me right into the fire. Too late to turn around at that point...LOL.

The mountains may be more of a challenge than I realize. I've not had the experience yet. But the vehicle has a full factory warranty for 5 years / 100K. If I'm at or below the rated tow capacity. I'm believing that KIA has tested the vehicle. Or am I being naive??

I may have to restrict my travel to the cooler seasons, such as early June and then go out in the fall when the weather temps are reasonable..

Duer
Old 08-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #9

Does it have a hitch and extra cooling and brake controller wiring?
Old 08-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #10

Yes, I have a utility trailer that I've towed about 2400 lbs without any brakes on the trailer.
Yes they come with extra cooling standard, tranny cooler.
I put a 3500 # hitch and 7 pin harness but no brake controller yet.
What are you thinking Jim?
D
Old 08-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #11

I was just wondering what type of equipment was on the vehicle as to towing capability. It is conceivable your 19 may weigh less than 3500 from the factory and you should make it home okay. Then you can make another assessment.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I think Jim is pretty accurate on this. Tow with a light cargo load home from the factory, see how the vehicle acts and if it performs to your desired level and you can keep trailer and vehicle cargo to posted limits you'll probably be ok. The mantra Just because you can don't mean you should comes into play here. Safety is job one and you don't want the tail waggin the dog in serious situations. I'd definitely spend the money on the brake controller before I went too far. Planning your route with respect to grades up and down could help you too. A few extra miles might be worth it
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duer View Post
I could just trade it on a V6, but I'd sure like to try it first and see how it works.
I don't see any reason to trade, unless the combination of the weight of the Kia, passengers, cargo, and the trailer exceeds the Kia's Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). There might not be any performance improvement with the V6, and certainly no stability or safety advantage.

Quote:
I'm believing that KIA has tested the vehicle. Or am I being naive??
I don't think that's naive. Although I don't know offhand if Kia follows the current industry standard for testing to validate towing ratings (SAE J2807), they will have done whatever testing they believe is appropriate.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was just wondering what type of equipment was on the vehicle as to towing capability. It is conceivable your 19 may weigh less than 3500 from the factory and you should make it home okay. Then you can make another assessment.
When did Duer's planned 17B turn into a 19?

All existing Escape 17Bs before the new-for-2017 or second-generation design have a GVWR of 3500 pounds, so they should never be loaded to any more than 3500 pounds, and weigh considerably less when empty. I have forgotten what the new GVWR is, and there is no reliable information from Escape, but surely at least the empty weight will be well under 3500 pounds.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Yes, I have a utility trailer that I've towed about 2400 lbs without any brakes on the trailer.
I put a 3500 # hitch and 7 pin harness but no brake controller yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I'd definitely spend the money on the brake controller before I went too far.
I would agree with Dave, but to me "too far" would be "out of the parking lot where you get the trailer".

Even the utility trailer was too heavy to tow with the Sorrento without brakes, so regardless of what happens with Escape plans, a brake controller belongs in the vehicle.

Kia says (in the owner's manual) that towing any trailer over 750 kg (1,650 pounds) requires that the trailer have brakes. There are trailers (mostly rental units and boat trailers) with their own surge brakes so an electric brake controller is not used, but otherwise you need a controller.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:27 AM   #16

Jim,

Taking your thought a little further if you will.
What would wring out this question and a very large ask of some.
If I put a brake controller on my 2.0 litre.
Who out there close to me would be willing to drive my car pulling their 17'B??
That's the old bush pilot in me speaking out now...
Is that too bold an ask??
D
Old 08-29-2016, 06:59 AM   #17

Brian,

Thank you for this in depth response.
And thanks to all the other respondents.
I'll think about all of your responses and then at the end of the day, as usual it's always
about the $money.
Safety margin is a good thing to have and sounds like the Sorento 2.0L would be at it's maximum towing capacity = no margin overrun....
So, I think it may be wise to give this more thought/planning to the towing scenario especially in the mountains and hills.
We all know that hind sight is.... we've all been there before..
When I purchased the car, I had no intentions of buying a 3400# trailer. However now here we are?

Duer
Old 08-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Brian,

Thank you for this in depth response.
And thanks to all the other respondents.
I'll think about all of your responses and then at the end of the day, as usual it's always
about the $money.
Safety margin is a good thing to have and sounds like the Sorento 2.0L would be at it's maximum towing capacity = no margin overrun....
So, I think it may be wise to give this more thought/planning to the towing scenario especially in the mountains and hills.
We all know that hind sight is.... we've all been there before..
When I purchased the car, I had no intentions of buying a 3400# trailer. However now here we are?

Duer
Hi: Duer... With the longevity of fiberglass trailers, our first was 29 yrs young, there will be a few changes of tugs... I'm sure!!! BTW... you'd be most welcome to drop in at Niagara Wine Escape Sept 16-18th. All Escape models will be there. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1020214.jpg   great group.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote