Towing with a level trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Was that drop at the front compared to the unloaded (no trailer) height, or compared to the height with trailer but no WD?

If the ride height at the front dropped - especially as much as 1.5" - from the unloaded position when the trailer was attached and WD applied, the WD hitch was not adjusted properly. It was adjusted to apply far too much load transfer, according to the instructions from Reese and other WD manufacturers: the WD system should just bring the front back down to the unloaded position, not further down.
Compared to heights of wheel wells on Trailblazer without trailer. Per the instructions from my Reese 66151 -

"Re-measure the front wheel well reference point. Front wheel well height
MUST be equal to or less than the original measurement. If the front wheel well height is higher
than previously measured, the head tilt angle must be increased (tilted downward). If the front
wheel well height is substantially lower than originally measured (1 inches or more) the head tilt wheel well height is substantially lower than originally measured (1 inches or more), the head tilt
angle must be reduced (tilted upward), or for coarse adjustment the pad hanger bolts can be lowered
one hole. Spring bars must be unloaded and removed from the pad hangers prior to adjusting head
tilt angle or removal of shoulder bolts. If head angle or shoulder bolt location adjustments are made
repeat hook up steps until the front wheel well height is equal to or less than originally measured.
It’s preferred that the rear of the vehicle settle the same amount or more than the front.
Optional: The ideal setup would allow the vehicle to settle an equal amount (front and rear) from the original measurements."

The mechanics of the Anderson are of course different, but the end measurements should be similar. (I did make sure the rear drop was slightly more than the front.)

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
"If the front wheel well height is substantially lower than originally measured (1 inches or more) the head tilt angle must be reduced (tilted upward), or for coarse adjustment the pad hanger bolts can be lowered one hole."
So this setup is all the way out at the most extreme they allow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
" Optional: The ideal setup would allow the vehicle to settle an equal amount (front and rear) from the original measurements."
I guess physics has changed Reese did not previously say this, and it does not make sense. The trailer load is behind the rear axle - forcing the front axle to take this much load is fundamentally wrong for vehicle stability, and I believe that the risk of this sort of setup is one reason that some manufacturers advise the WD system not be used.

The two statements are also contradictory. One says to that the front should not come down significantly, and other says that the front and rear would ideally come down the same amount. I guess the "ideal" is to get a lighter trailer if that "equal" settling is "substantial".

Did you ever check the axle loads, with and without trailer?

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
We use the Anderson WDH on our 19' hooked to a 06 Tundra and it works great.
We have the same setup only ours is an '04 Tundra and it tows fine. ETI hooked everything up so we're confident it's okay; however, I'm the one that seems to notice an ever so slight drop in the back of our Tundra.

CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote