Towing with the Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
. I was led to believe that the frame of a 1/2 ton truck is not designed to take the torque exerted by a 5th wheel trailer, Some argue that a lightweight fiberglass 5th wheel trailer is the exception to the rule but both the dealer and manufacturer of my truck did not see it that way,
Quite true, but I do think they're basing that on some generic equivalent of the term "5th Wheel", which probably weighs 4 or 5 times as much, with a corresponding increase in pin weight.

Properly equipped, a Colorado can have 7000 lbs of towing capacity. That's calculated by more things than the engine, including frame strength. From an engineering standpoint, I see no reason why a Colorado can't handle an Escape 5.0TA. There's also the example of folks towing it with a far lighter truck and less towing capacity -- like a Nissan Frontier.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
I own a 2015 Colorado and it does a fine job of towing the 19. However, I think someday I would like to own a fifth wheel too. I have the short bed which is only 61", so not sure that it's possible. But I haven't done the research...

Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #13

Trailer: none
If the owner's manual (or some other official document) does not specifically disallow fifth wheels and none of the towing or payload capacities are being exceeded, I don't know how they couldn't honor the warranty. How would the vehicle owner who has the hitch installed by a third party know they were violating any rules?
yogiyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #14

And then that brings up insurance implications... If you are in an accident while towing, could the insurance refuse to pay? Again, I would think as long as you weren't violating some official documented rules there shouldn't be a problem. Am I missing something?
Old 07-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #15

Trailer: None
Why if one is purchasing a "new" truck ,and knowing full well that Ram & GM do not list their 1/2 ton trucks for 5th wheel towing while Ford does, then why not just buy a Ford and avoid the whole issue.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Why if one is purchasing a "new" truck ,and knowing full well that Ram & GM do not list their 1/2 ton trucks for 5th wheel towing while Ford does, then why not just buy a Ford and avoid the whole issue.
Far be it from me to not encourage the purchase of an F150. We LOVE ours.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #17

Well I expect the GMC Canyon diesel to be less expensive, better handling, and easier to park. Also I’m guessing at least 25 mpg in mixed driving vs 16 or 17 in the Ford. Plus diesels typically perform better while towing and tend to hold their resale value better.

The vehicle might tow about 26 times per year but will be used for daily driver 365 days a year. A smaller vehicle with better handling and fuel mileage is appealing.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:18 PM   #18

Trailer: None
When I bought my new truck ,I looked at the small diesel engine .The identical truck to what I purchased with the small diesel engine came at a premium of over $8000 ! Hardly what I would describe as " Less Expensive". In my area the higher cost of diesel fuel versus gasoline
makes the increase in MPG far less beneficial. My daily driver for the past 20 years was a one ton truck ,never had any trouble parking . My first concern when I bought my new truck was
" Is it capable of safely towing my trailer anywhere I wish to go. If mileage and resale were my only concerns , I would have purchase a Ford Fusion Hybrid. YMMV
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
FWIW, our 2013 "Egoboost" F-150 (bright flame blue) gets 19.5 mpg on average, with 22-23 highway (not-towing), and about 14 towing our 17 ft. Casita. Hoping we don't take a huge hit when we start pulling the 21 ft. Escape.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #20

The diesels on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are very expensive options. But the 2015 Ram 1500 ecodiesel sells for about the same price as the 2015 Ford F-150 ecoboost. The mid-size GMC Canyon diesel will be cheaper than both.

I don’t want to tow with an unsafe vehicle. But it seems that towing the 5.0 TA with the Canyon will fit within all the payload and towing capacities of the vehicle. Fast Lane Truck shows the V6 gas pulling 5,000+ up steep grades in Colorado without a sweat. I don’t want to throw money away and excessively pollute the environment because of some lawyers making blanket rules based on fifth wheels two or three times the size of the 5.0 TA.