Trailer cover - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #121

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Donna, I know you posted this response about RV covers back in 2012. However, This is just perfect for me. I am teetering between a fabric cover and carport ($13 K to build due to HOA issues). Sounds like your advise is to bit the bullet and build.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #122

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Donna, I know you posted this response about RV covers back in 2012. However, This is just perfect for me. I am teetering between a fabric cover and carport ($13 K to build due to HOA issues). Sounds like your advise is to bit the bullet and build.
Although a permanent cover is the ideal . Many of us can't for whatever reason . Ron ,they now have a top cover that is pretty cool . It also attaches out from trailer walls with their attachments . Anyway we have used many covers for RV's , Adco , Classic ,etc some I forgot their names . Always you clean RV first . We now have a CalMark for 1 1/2 years .we really like the Calmark cover the best . It is Sunbella fabric and it is custom made and soft . If we are going to sit for awhile we put it on . When we remove, the trailer is still clean . Never found that with other covers . No abrasions either . We get winds here . It takes 2 of us to install . It is very easy to remove . So far this has been the best cover . If you can't swing a permanent cover , this is the 2nd best solution. We have to do something because of the UV 's here . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #123
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Fast Forward three years later and I still haven't changed my mind. I won't put a fabric cover on my trailer(s). I still live where the wind blows and I still remember the horrible chaffing I've seen on expensive paint jobs.

Ten Forward is stored outside because it won't fit under my carport. I still prefer that over a cover. But everyone needs to do what they feel the most comfortable doing.

Fortunately the HOAs where I live just says any "building" needs to be behind the gutter line and behind a 6' tall solid fence. Works for me. Now I just need to find someone willing to raise the dang carport two more feet!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Fast Forward three years later and I still haven't changed my mind. I won't put a fabric cover on my trailer(s). I still live where the wind blows and I still remember the horrible chaffing I've seen on expensive paint jobs.

Ten Forward is stored outside because it won't fit under my carport. I still prefer that over a cover. But everyone needs to do what they feel the most comfortable doing.

Fortunately the HOAs where I live just says any "building" needs to be behind the gutter line and behind a 6' tall solid fence. Works for me. Now I just need to find someone willing to raise the dang carport two more feet!
Donna Calmark covers are a world apart from the others . There is a reason there are costly . Pat
Old 11-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #125
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I know Pat, thanks for the reminder. I'm dealing with the issue by GOING CAMPING Ten Forward will only be sitting for less than two months. Going out for a long weekend this next weekend, skipping December and then going out for a long weekend in January. That's why I bought the trailer, not going to let moss grow on it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #126

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
The primary materials that covers are made from are Tyvek and Sunbrella. I've heard that Tyvek lasts about 2 years exposed to the elements and Sunbrella lasts about 4 to 6 years. You also pay more for Sunbrella. I ordered Sunbrella to protect my trailer which is what my boat cover is made from and is holding up well on it's third year.
Thanks for the tip on Sunbrella. I had not heard of it. BTW here in NW Montana Tyvek seems to be the top choice for a final siding in many dwellings. I know of some in excess of 12 years old still going strong. Many are waiting for siding prices to drop...
Old 11-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #127

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
BTW here in NW Montana Tyvek seems to be the top choice for a final siding in many dwellings. I know of some in excess of 12 years old still going strong. Many are waiting for siding prices to drop...
I saw the same thing in Maine years ago. We thought it would be a great business opportunity to print Tyvek in a brick or siding pattern.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #128

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I saw the same thing in Maine years ago. We thought it would be a great business opportunity to print Tyvek in a brick or siding pattern.
I have seen quite a few in Alberta and BC that way too. While some of the older stuff is still in place, its effectiveness is diminished a lot.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #129

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have seen quite a few in Alberta and BC that way too. While some of the older stuff is still in place, its effectiveness is diminished a lot.
I'm a tar paper kind of guy .... but not sure tar paper would be the best choice for a winter trailer cover .....

Tom
Old 11-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #130

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I'm a tar paper kind of guy .... but not sure tar paper would be the best choice for a winter trailer cover .....

Tom
While it works just as good as Tyvek a as a moisture barrier, it is not very tough stuff.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:58 PM   #131

Trailer cover

Took a couple pictures of our trailer covered with the Calmark cover . I also had them make a cover for the front box. They also made a bump out for my camera on the rear . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
P1010003 2.jpg   P1010004.jpg  
Old 11-18-2015, 12:46 AM   #132

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Hi Pat. Looks great, I might be looking for a cover soon. Thanks for the info.
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:07 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Hi Pat. Looks great, I might be looking for a cover soon. Thanks for the info.
Hi Gregg ! Pat
Old 01-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #134

Trailer: Not Yet
Has anyone had any issues with heavy snow/ice loading on the covers when stored for the winter?

Don't have a trailer or cover yet, but I'd like to research everything before I make a purchase. I would have no choice but to store mine outside, and with no chance of building a port (RV parking only option in townhouse complex, I'm lucky to have that much).

Live in Calgary, AB, and its a constant snow/melt/snow weather pattern here most winters.
citizensmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #135

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've tried to keep any heavier snow load off the cover, I use a snow rack on it when it got much over 6" (15cm). You of course need to be careful the corners of the rake don't tear the cover. I also cover all the sharp edges like on the solar panel with a sliced pool noodle. I use a small laundry basket over the JACK antenna.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #136

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've tried to keep any heavier snow load off the cover, I use a snow rack on it when it got much over 6" (15cm). You of course need to be careful the corners of the rake don't tear the cover. I also cover all the sharp edges like on the solar panel with a sliced pool noodle. I use a small laundry basket over the JACK antenna.
Hi: padlin... We're heading off to our winter storage facility. Here's a pic or two!!! Oh heck... I can't remember which tree are the sour oranges. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030944.jpg   P1030943.jpg  
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #137

Trailer: Not Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I am curious if anyone has experimented with some kind of A-frame under the top that would keep snow from building up.
citizensmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #138

Won't be far behind you Alf, we're off to Sebastian Inlet in a couple weeks.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #139

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
@ Al & Bob - you guys get much hate mail from folk stuck up there? : )
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:33 AM   #140

Anyone with a 5.0TA come up with a good cover?