Trailer cover - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
We purchased the smallest ADCO cover available, really much too big but it was on sale. It does cover everything front to back. We are really happy about the result - the trailer is really protected. Because of the zippers we can easily get in from time to time to check things out. Even spent New Year's eve there building a puzzle . There is virtually no major clean-up required in the spring. This is one major snowfall we had last winter.
Attached Thumbnails
20120116_121127.jpg  
Old 11-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #22

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandbea View Post
We purchased the smallest ADCO cover available, really much too big but it was on sale. It does cover everything front to back. We are really happy about the result - the trailer is really protected. Because of the zippers we can easily get in from time to time to check things out. Even spent New Year's eve there building a puzzle . There is virtually no major clean-up required in the spring. This is one major snowfall we had last winter.
That's exactly what I did, bought the ADCO cover on sale at Camping World. It really covers the entire trailer, nothing is exposed to the weather. It even covers the tires. And access to the trailer is easy.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Be kind and patient. But... I HATE covers. They are expensive (and temporary), hard to put on and take off. AND, the trailer or vehicle needs to be steller clean when put on or all the grit on the trailer (or vehicle) embeds itself in the soft underside of the cover.

I come from a hotrod background where folks spend $$$$$$ on paint jobs. Honestly, we'd rather a vehicle sit outside than have a cover scrub the paint. One little twig or dust bunny can ruin a paint job. A little bit of wind and that cover acts like sandpaper if anything is embedded in the underside.

I understand about HOAs and expense when it comes to building a carport or lean-to (No one has a stronger HOA than where I live). But, I will scrub my trailer (and have for hours) rather than ruin the finish because of a cover. Nothing, absolutely nothing touches the finish of my trailer or any of my vehicles.

I saved money for three years (income tax returns, bottle deposit returns, cash gifts, etc., etc.) to have a 18x25 cover built. AND, if/when I sell my home I can honestly post it having an RV covered space. And the best part is my trailer just gets dusty under there and I can open the door, even if it's downpouring rain and everything stays dry. I've even washed and waxed the trailer under the carport!

So, when you're on your second or third cover... just remember, if you would have saved that money, you too may have built an asset instead of spent the money on an expense.

YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree Donna, not only are there possible scratches but once it is covered you no longer can use it. I purchased the thermal package and I intend to be camping on New Year Eve, even if it is below freezing. We are heading north to New York for Thanksgiving, I'm hoping for some snow tubing. I'd rather be sitting around a campfire than a fireplace.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Be kind and patient. But... I HATE covers. They are expensive (and temporary), hard to put on and take off. AND, the trailer or vehicle needs to be steller clean when put on or all the grit on the trailer (or vehicle) embeds itself in the soft underside of the cover.

YMMV
Thanks! I needed that.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #26
Site Team

Building (or having built) a permanent cover isn't for everyone and I understand that. But... a person really needs to think long term. Every year in the Spring... for three years... I had to scrub red/black mold off my trailer... and that ugly green lichen and it took about eight hours. No more... ever! And no fabric cover to replace... cool.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
A permanent structure would be ideal...not possible on this lot or this neighborhood! Also, not too difficult to cover/uncover when two people tackle it...unless it's a very windy day!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Wish we could put the Escape in a garage or carport but we are in storage elsewhere. I was thinking of that sandpaper effect. Fortunately, we have no trees or anything to get junk on the roof. I did find that the trailer becomes very dirty in no time without the cover. Was rather shocked at my hard work going to waste once and wanted it covered right after washing the next time! So I can imagine the trouble that the folks with tree sap must have.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #29

Crap. Now I may have to sell my new cover in its box....
Donna...good post. Really. Got me thinking again. I have a garage that works.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
thanks Donna...your post now has us rethinking what our options may be.if it is not possible to build a covered area we will think long and hard about what to do.....new Neighbour across the street now has his RV all covered and cozy looking, will be interesting to see it come springtime.:

we are the Worth's and this is our little fort....Fort Worth
Janet W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
Crap. Now I may have to sell my new cover in its box....
Donna...good post. Really. Got me thinking again. I have a garage that works.
You have a cover for your cover. Excellent.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #32

Donna,
What product or process do you use to preserve your trailer finish?
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
We have used a trailer cover for the past three winters, with no issues at all. I agree that a structure would be better, but if you can't build one, I would not hesitate to use a cover. Perhaps that is because we are in Alberta, and the snow keeps the cover nice and snug! Also, the poplar trees with their fuzz and wet leaves would make a mess out of your trailer in no time.
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Donna,
Gel Gloss I actually buy it at Lowe's... much cheaper. Lowe's sells it because it's great in shower stalls too. Just be careful around rubber.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Donna,
Gel Gloss. I buy it at Lowe's, much cheaper. They sell it because folks use it in shower stalls. Just be careful around rubber.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 15A
I emailed Escape trailers to find out if they are selling covers.Sonds like at the present time they are not ,but are looking into getting covers custom made to fit our Escapes.They said when they do come to something it will be posted on the Escape web page.
Think i'll let it go for this year and just have to scrub up in the spring.
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My only concern for a cover is that antenna bubble in the back, maybe a custom cover will have it sewn in.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #38

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
You'll want to pad any area that may be considered sharp. I use over stuffed mittens on the bumper ends and pipe insulation over the furnace vent overhang. I cut 3x3xlength of high density foam to cushion the sharp edges of the solar panel and carpet taped them to the sides. I padded the entry steps with carpet and threw my 3 year old Escape cover over the top. I don't expect any problems.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #39
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Hello Everyone,

Reace and I just attended a Trade Show in Niagara Falls, ON and Classic Covers was present. I mentioned to the salesrep that they are missing an entire market by not offering covers manufactured to fit a molded fiberglass trailer.

I mentioned all of the different manufacturers old and new and said that no-one in the RV industry manufactures covers for trailers smaller than 20'.

The sales rep said that he would be placing a request for covers to be manufactured to fit the molded fiberglass market.

Who know if it will happen or not but every year we attend we seem to get a little closer to having them manufatured for our little niche market. I will keep you posted with updates as they become available.
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hello Everyone,

Reace and I just attended a Trade Show in Niagara Falls, ON and Classic Covers was present. I mentioned to the salesrep that they are missing an entire market by not offering covers manufactured to fit a molded fiberglass trailer.

I mentioned all of the different manufacturers old and new and said that no-one in the RV industry manufactures covers for trailers smaller than 20'.

The sales rep said that he would be placing a request for covers to be manufactured to fit the molded fiberglass market.

Who know if it will happen or not but every year we attend we seem to get a little closer to having them manufatured for our little niche market. I will keep you posted with updates as they become available.
Thanks Tammy, that is really good to know. Hopefully there will be some available when we need one next year.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote