Trailer hitch locks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #21

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Yes [emoji1303]
I just e-mailed David at ETI to ask him what the threads on the wheels were.
Looks like an inexpensive way keep your tires where you want them.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I've never understood the use of that type of wheel lock. Come on! there's a spare on the back of the trailer - a quick jack, a few lug nuts, on goes the spare, and away we go.

For that matter, the fancy hitch locks do little as well. Talking to a policeman friend, he said most of the time the crooks don't even bother with the hitch lock - they just throw a chain around the tongue, connect it to the getaway vehicle, and off they go.

Insurance and a loaded shotgun works the best.
I would encourage members to not post any comments about what they would do in the event of a theft or threat.

If you are forced to defend yourself or your property the DA will examine you with a the proverbial 'fine tooth comb'. Any comments that may show a propensity to violence WILL be used against you in trial if it comes to that.

Bumper stickers, T-shirts "we don't call 911", DON'T DO IT!

If you face this situation, your first call is to 911. The operator will tell you to stay on the line and will try to keep you talking. DON'T DO IT!

Your second call should be to a lawyer. When the Police get there, Co-operate but tell them you felt your life threatened and SHUT UP.

I speak from first hand experience.

I now have the Viridian Laser/light and hi resolution camera (video and audio) on my weapon(Glock 21, 45 auto). There will be absolutely so doubt about what happened in front of my weapon if I have to use it.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
I would encourage members to not post any comments about what they would do in the event of a theft or threat.

You need to take your own advice.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You need to take your own advice.
I expected that
Old 09-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
When you order wheel lock nuts, order a 5th one to be used to secure/lock the spare tire. I found McGard.com sells good quality lock nuts.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
We have a very narrow focus on this forum. I'm on a bunch of trailer Facebook groups, not all are all-molded builds. Theft of trailers... and sometimes the tug! is far more common than any want to believe and often right out of people's driveways! IF you're spending tens of thousands of dollars for a trailer, why cheap out and buy the least expensive thing possible to secure your trailer? Yes, I know anything can be defeated with enough time and effort. But you don't need to make it easy for the thief either.
I agree with you Donna and insurance will never make you whole , speaking from experience. Why make it easy for thieves ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I agree with you Donna and insurance will never make you whole , speaking from experience. Why make it easy for thieves ? Pat
Donna want to Thankyou for the lead on the nice sink and facet . It is a very nice setup . Rethinking we decided we just needed to change the facet to a pullout . Water limitations and counter real estate drove us to that conclusion . Thankyou again . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I know I am going to be given heck for my opinion, but I don't do anything while camping, and when it is in it's storage space (an open back alley spot) I do use a cable in the wheels, but am not even doing that as I had to cut it a while ago as I had misplaced the key. I will likely replace that though with something tougher.

I do have good insurance.
And how long did it take you to defeat your own lock?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
When you order wheel lock nuts, order a 5th one to be used to secure/lock the spare tire. I found McGard.com sells good quality lock nuts.

Tonny LR
Thanks for that Tonny. I was just about to remind everybody about securing the spare with a lock.
SHolderfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:01 PM   #30

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Yes [emoji1303]
As you had the 17B before your E19, perhaps you could tell me whether or not the lug nuts vary in size? This idea appeals to me more than most, and I've found the website for McGard. Thanks!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:44 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post

If you are forced to defend yourself or your property the DA will examine you with a the proverbial 'fine tooth comb'. Any comments that may show a propensity to violence WILL be used against you in trial if it comes to that.

Bumper stickers, T-shirts "we don't call 911", DON'T DO IT!

If you face this situation, your first call is to 911. The operator will tell you to stay on the line and will try to keep you talking. DON'T DO IT!

Your second call should be to a lawyer. When the Police get there, Co-operate but tell them you felt your life threatened and SHUT UP.

I speak from first hand experience.

I now have the Viridian Laser/light and hi resolution camera (video and audio) on my weapon(Glock 21, 45 auto). There will be absolutely so doubt about what happened in front of my weapon if I have to use it.
How to kill someone and get away with it. Are there no moderators left on this forum? Hey 75th, did you ever wax your neighbors camper with an AR 15?
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This thread is about Trailer Hitch Locks. Please stay focused. Any further discussion regarding weapons will be edited or possibly deleted. If you wish to discuss that topic there are other places on the WWW.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
This thread is about Trailer Hitch Locks. Please stay focused. Any further discussion regarding weapons will be edited or possibly deleted. If you wish to discuss that topic there are other places on the WWW.
Sorry, you do have realize that we are from Texas!
Old 09-23-2019, 02:02 AM   #34

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
As you had the 17B before your E19, perhaps you could tell me whether or not the lug nuts vary in size? This idea appeals to me more than most, and I've found the website for McGard. Thanks!

I’m pretty sure that lug nuts are the same on all the various trailers, at size 1/2 x 20, I think, which is a fairly standard thread size.

Our 17B did have an oddball size nut on the spare, but I don’t remember the exact size. It was a 2010 trailer though. Our 2017 19 has same size nuts on spare as the rest of the wheels.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:41 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
And how long did it take you to defeat your own lock?
About 3 seconds to cut the cable. It looked tough, but a battery operated grinder with a metal zip disk melted through it.

This is something almost all thieves carry. It is what was used to cut locks onto our rec property gate and on our tool shed, cut a hole in the steel cargo box housing the 3kW genset, and steel lots of stuff. They just used something heavy to bust the door window out to access inside to steal stuff on my daughter's and my trailer. Coulda had the best hitch lock and it would have done nothing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Yep, protecting that wheel.
The problem with that lock is there was no protection for one of the lugs. Add that feature and this type of lock is IMO about as good as you can get. You might add a locator device for good measure.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:16 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
The problem with that lock is there was no protection for one of the lugs. Add that feature and this type of lock is IMO about as good as you can get. You might add a locator device for good measure.
The lug nut locks can easily be defeated and you don’t even need power tools. I won’t go into how but for those interested not hard to find. Like I’ve previously stated I use the Fort Knox hitch lock but that’s it. I don’t for 1 second believe that it will stop a determined thief, just the opportunistic variety.🤔 Almost forgot, I do use another pad lock on my propane tanks, but that’s another subject.
Attached Thumbnails
535EB326-8451-40B2-B4D8-9B9A044F2C5E.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I have been using a cast Master Lock purchased from Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0000AXRMU/r. Much thicker than a standard padlock. It would take time for a determined thief with a portable metal grinder to cut through it. I also lock-down the chains should someone try to haul it away that way. Needless to say, I don't leave it unattended in remote areas should I return to find it has been "stripped" clean. I also use a set of wheel locks. Just one more deterrent.
Attached Thumbnails
413TRMXZM0L.jpg  
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #39

Trailer: ?
Got a response from Dave at ETI concerning the lug nut size should anyone have an interest.

“The wheel studs are 1/2" x 20. “ confirmed that is the size for all current models.

https://www.amazon.com/McGard-24538-...s%2C192&sr=8-4

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #40

Insurance

Anyone know of any insurance claims for a stolen Escape? (or wrecked) I guessing Insurance companies have no clue what an escape is worth.

Any agents I've ever dealt with on anything always start with "Well, the book says....."

We in any books?