Trailer Ins in the US - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2015, 06:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
I know that every state is different and that you can't compare apples to oranges, but when I called to get quotes, using Allstate, the Hartford and Progressive... Progressive was the highest by a lot. About 300 more a year from Allstate and 250 more than the Hartford. Could it be because we are using 5th wheel?
I'd also be curious to know if anyone on the forum has had to put in a claim?
Thanks.
Lucy
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Your example proves my point Lucy. In my case, Allstate and Hartford are much higher than Progressive. So its not just where you live, but how the insurer structures their premiums vs other carriers in your locality.

What can we take from all this? Simple. Choose a reputable insurer with a good rate for YOUR situation - and definitely shop around.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:02 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Trying to compare prices based on what others are quoted is mostly irrelevant. They vary widely by state, by city, and by a number of other factors. If I lived about 50 miles west of San Antonio for example, the rate would be half.
Very true Robert but Progressive usually at this time gives you the best for your money .It is not going to be the same premiums everywhere but in your area maybe the best . First for a new trailer for 5 years full replacement is very attractive to me with not much difference in price for descending value offered by other insurers . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Very true Robert but Progressive usually at this time gives you the best for your money .It is not going to be the same premiums everywhere but in your area maybe the best . First for a new trailer for 5 years full replacement is very attractive to me with not much difference in price for descending value offered by other insurers . Pat
Also they do take many things in consideration .Your credit , your claim history , whether you own your home etc. Pat
Old 07-29-2015, 08:47 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I fail to understand why your credit should have any impact on your insurance rate. The risk involved has nothing to do with credit. I understand the link, bad credit means possible insurance claims, but if one has never filed a claim, ever, their credit score should have no bearing to their rate.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I fail to understand why your credit should have any impact on your insurance rate. The risk involved has nothing to do with credit. I understand the link, bad credit means possible insurance claims, but if one has never filed a claim, ever, their credit score should have no bearing to their rate.
I totally agree with you Jim . But this is the way of our world now . Pat
Old 07-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Anyone who just keys in on rates without looking at a carrier's rating and claims performance is not looking at the big picture.

I was on the fence for a minute until adding up 2 + 2. Think about all the advertising some of these companies do.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Anyone who just keys in on rates without looking at a carrier's rating and claims performance is not looking at the big picture.

I was on the fence for a minute until adding up 2 + 2. Think about all the advertising some of these companies do.
You are right also Rossue . I have to hope all is well my ,State Farm agent I have had for 40 years told me to go to progressive at least for first 5 years to get the full replacement for my new trailer . We are dealing with big corporations . The ball is in their court . But my agent wouldn't steer me wrong . As for State Farm in 1994 I had to battle big time with them . I was not in good hands . I only stay because of my agent . She try's to help me out with lots of cost savings . Too long to go into . All we can do is do our best . Pat
Old 07-29-2015, 10:20 PM   #29

I have a State Farm policy for a rental with a great agent so I know what you're talking about Pat. This same agent got me great Worker's Comp rates back in 2002, yet was powerless when their rates became very uncompetitive and couldn't argue with me moving. Would really be curious to have you post comparative rates with AAA as you live in So. CA.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:07 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I never understood it either Jim, until a friend who owns an independent insurance company showed me some actuarial tables and what he called "risk charts". They suggested that a low credit score meant a higher risk of loss or claim.

There are some companies who don't use credit score as a factor at all, but the interesting thing is that their rates are usually higher.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #31

Quote:
I have a State Farm policy for a rental with a great agent so I know what you're talking about Pat. This same agent got me great Worker's Comp rates back in 2002, yet was powerless when their rates became very uncompetitive and couldn't argue with me moving. Would really be curious to have you post comparative rates with AAA as you live in So. CA.
Rossue I live not in Los Angeles County . For home or automobiles I have found AAA to be much higher , every time I have checked . As been said there are many variables in their pricing . One of the big ones is where you live . Each of us needs to get own quotes for our circumstances . Pat
Old 07-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #32

Hi Pat- I totally get that; it is zip code based, despite some activists in urban areas trying to void that principle. I agree with it though- why should people in less populated areas have to subsidize "life in the big city"
Old 07-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Hi Pat- I totally get that; it is zip code based, despite some activists in urban areas trying to void that principle. I agree with it though- why should people in less populated areas have to subsidize "life in the big city"
Hi Rossue and anyone else interested . Just opened Sept issue of Consumers Reports and right on front cover The truth about car insurance . How your rate is set.....and how you can demand a lower one . 10 pages long everything you ever wanted to know about car insurance . Pat
Old 07-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I believe that if your zip code is near campgrounds, the rate is higher. There are more claims where people camp that where they live. Insurance is determined by the amount of claims.