Trailer Ins in the US - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Trailer Ins in the US

We are looking at quotes for trailer insurance in the US and so far have 3. Allstate, AARP the Hartford, and Progressive. Way different coverages for all 3. Hard to compare apples to oranges when they won't quote the same. Allstate (which we already insure all our other vehicles) with deductibles of 500 collision, 250 comp quoted out at $264/year, but using the truck ins for roadside help if needed, and house insurance for personal effects. No Mexico coverage.
The Harford - adding on the trailer and moving our vehicles was almost $1000 cheaper than Allstate! Hartford had 15 months of full replacement coverage and then after 15 months would be actual cash value (I guess by insurance adjuster coming out to review), with homeowner for personal effects, and truck for towing and roadside assistance.
Progressive quoted for $250 deductible with full replacement cost for 5 years, then actual cash value, $750 for food and lodging for trip interruption, $10,000 injury coverage while camping, $1000 personal effects, and roadside assistance. Can deduct $39 for leaving off the roadside assistance and personal effects (cause you can use your homeowners and truck ins right?) Progressive cost was $567/year.

Tough to make decisions on insurance when you've never had to put in a claim. Do you go with the lowest quote? Or stick with what you've had for 20 years?

Anyone out there that has had to put in a claim at Allstate, the Hartford or Progressive?
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
When talking medications a good doctor once asked me, "Do you want to try the devil you don't know or stay with the devil you do know?"
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
All have awning replacement?
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
If you can, look into insuring with USAA. My Escape has C&C and roadside assistance with a $500 deductible. $53.39 per 6 months. I couldn't believe how much cheaper it was than all the other quotes I got. In fact, I moved over my home and car insurance from State Farm. They have great customer service and online tools. Much happier now!
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We're USAA as well and the 17B is about $48 a year. When your on the hitch it comes under your Auto Policy, probably why some folks don't unhitch in the campground.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
If you can, look into insuring with USAA. My Escape has C&C and roadside assistance with a $500 deductible. $53.39 per 6 months. I couldn't believe how much cheaper it was than all the other quotes I got. In fact, I moved over my home and car insurance from State Farm. They have great customer service and online tools. Much happier now!
Different states, different quotes- just got off the line after 20 minutes with USAA. I had been insured with them since I got my driver's license at age 15. About 17 years ago we were given a hand-me-down Class C and the rates with AAA was the same with the motor home included as I was paying USAA for just the cars.

Fast-foward and it gets worse here: from $1314/year with AAA to $1990 with USAA. Blame it on CA I guess- but I never found them to be competitive for homeowner's either. So bottom line is you gotta shop your own local market and then try to make an informed decision about the rest of the nuances with insurance, because there are like a gazillion of them.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Several companies will do full replacement for five years including some Good Sam companies and Allied. Of course, that will cost you far more than the usual quotes. I think we were told that we could not get Progressive unless we insured our vehicles also.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We have been with State Farm for over 30 years but now feel like they are starting to get out of line. A lot of steep premium increases and no claims. I was not happy with the quote for the trailer and probably will put it all out for bids. That is 6 different policies. I also thought that USAA insured RV's through Progressive. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Several companies will do full replacement for five years including some Good Sam companies and Allied. Of course, that will cost you far more than the usual quotes. I think we were told that we could not get Progressive unless we insured our vehicles also.
Not true for me Cathy I have the progressive for trailer and still have State Farm for my other vechicles . The trailer is with progressive for the full replacement for 5 years that State Farm does not do . My agent told me to go to them -progressive for this coverage . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Not true for me Cathy I have the progressive for trailer and still have State Farm for my other vechicles . The trailer is with progressive for the full replacement for 5 years that State Farm does not do . My agent told me to go to them -progressive for this coverage . Pat
Also am on 2nd year and it went down to 307 .,that also includes road assistance which also includes my tow vehicle . Just got off phone with them today . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Also am on 2nd year and it went down to 307 .,that also includes road assistance which also includes my tow vehicle . Just got off phone with them today . Pat
That is good to know. I have to wonder if I was told the wrong thing. I will have to ask about that again. Thanks!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:31 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Check the limits on ERS when you buy through your car insurance company. I have Amica, when I got my new policy this year I noticed they had it down for $100 limit per incident. Didn't need insurance for a $100 tow, it's the multiple tow truck long haul I wanted to insure for. Went back to Good Sam.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
We went with our combo home-and-auto carrier (Kemper) at first for our 21. But continued forum reading (and the ridiculously low premium Kemper charged us) made me realize I really, really wanted that early-years full replacement value, and Kemper doesn't do that.

So I looked into Progressive and Good Sam. I tried Good Sam first, using their online tools, and soon learned it would require a phone call and who knows how much time, because their online tool didn't know who Escape Trailer Industries is. (I thought EVERYONE knew!) On the Progressive site I could do the whole thing online. Great coverage, reasonable premium.

Interestingly, Good Sam called me a week or so later and asked if I wanted to complete my online application for coverage, and I explained I had gone with Progressive. They wanted to know why, and I related my online experience. The agent admitted they "don't keep the online side up-to-date sometimes."

For most people it wouldn't make any difference. I just don't like being on the phone so much. Anyway, I too have Progressive while my cars are insured elsewhere. They were ready to earn my business in a way that suits me.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Total Loss Replacement

I'd never been a fan of “Extended Warranties”, “Total Loss Replacement”, and the likes. If my new refrigerator, new washer, new dryer or new stove went belly up it'd be before the manufacturers warranty expired. Why buy additional insurance?

But now with all the talk 'bout Total Loss Replacement I finally decided to check out Progressive, (currently I have Home Owners through them), and compare their TT rates with my current insurer GEICO. GEICO uses rediculous limits on Emergency Expense $1M, Replacement Cost Personal Effects $5M and Vacation Liability $10M. Granted, there's no additional premium for these but $1M? $5M? $10M? The day I have $5,000,000 worth of personal effects in “Escaping Reality”, heck, even my home, I won't need insurance. GEICO does offer Total Loss Replacement but only within 30 days of the TT purchase so now I can't get it with them. Progressive, on the other hand, does offer it even 5 months from the date of purchase.

Back to my story; 1 year TT coverage with GEICO is $250, with Progressive and with Total Loss Replacement, is $284, $34 a year more. Or as some commercials would say, “Less than $3 a month”. Now if I were to compare my car insurance Progressive is $16 a year less. So to insure both the TV and TT with Progressive I'm talking only and additional $8 a year and that would include Total Loss Replacement.

Perhaps it's time for this Ole Man to reconsider this.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #15
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We're USAA as well and the 17B is about $48 a year. When your on the hitch it comes under your Auto Policy, probably why some folks don't unhitch in the campground.
I never thought of this. Our insurance company mentioned that it is part of our vehicle coverage but never thought to ask what happens if it's unhitched!

Lots of things to review.

Phil & Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
What is total loss replacement? Does that mean no deductible or is it the same as mine, guaranteed replacement. If my trailer were totaled or stolen and not recovered, my insurance will buy me a new 17B with the same options. As I recall, the deductible is $250. My trailer is now seven years old and still has guaranteed replacement.

But, I'm not in the US and neither is my insurance company.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What is total loss replacement? Does that mean no deductible or is it the same as mine, guaranteed replacement.

Mine is called "comprehensive Total Loss Replacement at Current Purchase Price". It goes 5 years from coverage date. I have a $500 deductible - Progressive.

Effectively the same coverage as you Glenn- they replace at the current model year price with the same options. Just a different name.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #18

Just got the Progressive quote: $255/$500 deductible. They will write the Total Loss Replacement as mentioned above to the original owner and if the trailer is less than a year old. My AAA premium is $260, so am tempted- just wondering what the claims experience is. I know AAA's is fantastic from what my son went through(on his own policy).

Has anyone settled a claim with Progressive and gotten a new trailer?

Edit: after searching claims reviews online with Yelp & Credit Karma I'm going to stick with AAA.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #19

Hmm...suggest people get their Progressive quote online as you see other options and the rate is slightly lower than with an agent. The above quote online is $243, BUT for $307 the deductible goes to $250 and the contents insurance is $5,000 vs. $1000. Emergency expenses is $2,000 vs. $750.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Trailer Ins in the US

Trying to compare prices based on what others are quoted is mostly irrelevant. They vary widely by state, by city, and by a number of other factors. If I lived about 50 miles west of San Antonio for example, the rate would be half.