Trailer Storage - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If I could eeek out a couple of more inches and backed straight in... Ten Forward would fit. The peak on the carport is 12', but the sides are only 8'. Trust me I've measured a bazllion times and crossed my fingers, but it's just a tad too short. I've got a company willing to raise it 2' in the Spring. Just can't do it now. When the legs are disconnected it's liable to sail to the neighbors yard, due to the winds here in east county. I measured Ten Forward and it's 9'8" at the highest point.
So it's the sides of the structure that are too low? hadn't thought of that.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Had the same problem with my canopy, plus wind concerns. My solution raised sides just enough...
Attached Thumbnails
canbase3.jpg  
Old 11-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #23

Trailer: none
Store my trailer at a regional park. Only cons is that the park is 15 miles away and the storage is uncovered. However, the pros are many. It is relatively inexpensive for northern VA ($48/mon) and it patrolled by park rangers. Also, the park is open year round so I can camp at anytime and there is a dump facility and fresh water fill.

Would LOVE to be able to store her at home.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A clip right off of Google Street View. Guess where my summer storage is.

Attachment 8894
Jim, is that your old work truck that was stolen? Amazing detail available on Google.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim, is that your old work truck that was stolen? Amazing detail available on Google.
Yeah, that is the one. They need to take another shot with the new one in it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #26

Love the way they blur the license plate but leave the phone number.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
We left our baby (17b) at its' nursery (Escape Trailer Industries, Chilliwack).

Pros: inexpensive storage, ETI winterized her, fixed the little latch on the fridge for us = reasonable cost. ETI staff available for any other servicing we may wish. Safe gated compound. Best of all our baby has lots of other Escape Eggs to talk to and isn't lonely.

Cons: we have visiting hours (our access to her is during ETI hours); we have to drive an hour or so to get her. Prep for trips is a pain (although, ETI will turn on the fridge for us prior to a trip). Coming back from a trip to drop off has to be within ETI hours.

-------

We are in the midst of relocating to Maple Ridge, BC (moving into a shared living arrangement with our daughter/son-in-law). The new residence will have room on the driveway for the 17b to park for at least a few days as we prepare/clean her before and after trips (and polish her) but probably not enough driveway space for long term parking (plus she will miss all her other Escape friends).

As I drive around Maple Ridge I see acreages where several trailers seem to be parked for storage. I'm considering looking into this as an option (going for private storage but have concerns about her being stolen). Secure storage in Maple Ridge area at a secure, gated 24-hour acesss facility seems to cost about 120.00 month. Another option to be considered.

I'm wondering if other forum members have made private arrangements with some owner renting out space for trailer storage on their land.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #28

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
We have no place at our house to park either of our trailers. No room, not even for trip prep. However, we found a storage unit about 1/4 mile away where we have two units rented. Two trailers, two units, go figure.

Not inexpensive ($294/mo for both) but enclosed and, not being visible, secure. Even better, they are heated and have electric. So the batteries stay changed and we don't have to winterize. Ready to go at the drop of a hat.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Since we're talking about pampered Escapes in buildings... just for amusement, try a Google search for "garage condo". After you win a lottery, you can have a really nice place to store the trailer and work on the next modification.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Since we're talking about pampered Escapes in buildings... just for amusement, try a Google search for "garage condo". After you win a lottery, you can have a really nice place to store the trailer and work on the next modification.
Maybe yes, maybe no.
I have a friend with some land behind and around his home. He built a 20'x40' garage big enough for his trailer, tools, shop, etc. But...
It's now filled with extended family' stuff. His trailer..(wait for it)......
Outside!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Since we're talking about pampered Escapes ........
She doesn't sleep in a building but she is pampered.

I just emailed ETI to find out how much a day at the Spa would cost her - for a wash and wax possibly scheduled Spring 2015 if it isn't too expensive
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #32

hi brian you situation sounds just like mine. large front driveway. easy storage for my 19. however last june someone decided my 19 needed a new home and it was stolen in the wee hours of the morning. my new build will have wheel locks in place plus security. be advised
tmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape
Hail!

Southern Alberta is known for bad hail--we had marble-size hail a few days ago which fortunately didn't appear to leave any damage (definitely a nail-biter though). Other areas got up to golf-ball size along with some tornados to boot. I've been looking at the thread on storage and covers (mostly in the winter) so I thought this tread could use a reboot. Any words of wisdom out there?

I'm thinking about buying a bunch of mover's blankets for the top, then a tarp (perhaps with some foam sandwiched between), staked to the ground. Unfortunately I don't have indoor storage. I presume the Calmar covers are not waterproof. Hail can easily build up to 6", which is very heavy and wet.

2015 19' Escape (March 2015)
2015 Highlander
buzz&jessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:29 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz&jessie View Post

I'm thinking about buying a bunch of mover's blankets for the top, then a tarp (perhaps with some foam sandwiched between), staked to the ground. Unfortunately I don't have indoor storage. I presume the Calmar covers are not waterproof. Hail can easily build up to 6", which is very heavy and wet.
The problem with tarps is they don't breath. If want to use a tarp you need to create an air space between the tarp and the trailer so moisture doesn't collect and cause problems. Some people build a simple framework of 2x4's over the trailer and cover it with a tarp. People I know put their canoe on the roof of the trailer (to create the air space) and cover the whole setup with a tarp. I think that one of the RV covers you can buy would be a better bet though.
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:34 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz&jessie View Post
I can see the down side of mover's blankets. If they got wet, ugh, not worth the hassle.

Our trailer is covered all year. In the summer months we use an old car cover that comes about 1' down the sides. Keeps debris off the roof and protects the awning. In winter we have a full waterproof cover.

If I lived in an area with hail I'd probably try something like putting some ribbed air mattresses on the roof, easy to put in place and don't absorb moisture and then put the cover on top of them.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:16 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I'm floating a balloon here:

I'm getting my 17 late in October and will be looking for storage probably by the end of March 2016. Anyone want a trailer garage built on your property big enough for perhaps your trailer and mine? I'm a licensed, bonded, insured contractor and have been for over 30 years. I'm thinking about some sort of shared expenses / labor arrangement. Wanna talk and brain storm? I'm thinking about a roof and full sides with a door for weather protection and security and on a concrete slab.

1) mostly interested in the greater Bellingham area or perhaps nearby across the border.

2) If away from this area, then need to be 'near' an airport serviced by Alaska Airlines / Horizon or Delta.

3) Is there a group of interested parties who would be interested in a co-op muli unit structure like a trailer condo?

Please contact me here or PM.

Thanks, Tom
Old 08-09-2015, 05:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
The problem with tarps is they don't breath. If want to use a tarp you need to create an air space between the tarp and the trailer so moisture doesn't collect and cause problems. Some people build a simple framework of 2x4's over the trailer and cover it with a tarp. People I know put their canoe on the roof of the trailer (to create the air space) and cover the whole setup with a tarp. I think that one of the RV covers you can buy would be a better bet though.
Don't know about yours, but on the roof of my 5.0, there's a solar panel, air conditioner, 2 opening vents, 2 waste vents, and 2 antennas. Don't think lack of air flow is much of a concern. I do agree there are better options then plastic tarps.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I can see the down side of mover's blankets. If they got wet, ugh, not worth the hassle.

Our trailer is covered all year. In the summer months we use an old car cover that comes about 1' down the sides. Keeps debris off the roof and protects the awning. In winter we have a full waterproof cover.

If I lived in an area with hail I'd probably try something like putting some ribbed air mattresses on the roof, easy to put in place and don't absorb moisture and then put the cover on top of them.

Ron
On june 12 this year, we suffered hail damage to my car and house roof. No damage to my 5.0 TA which was parked in an open space near the house. The solar panel was ok.
phlbua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The biggest issue I see with a tarp or any cover that touches the gel coat is scuffing. If the trailer isn't stellar clean and any cover can move at all (wind), grit scuffs the gelcoat like sandpaper. Even covers with a soft underlay need to be kept clean. Grit gets embedded into the underlay and trouble starts.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #40

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Ron, I like your air mattress idea. I've seen your post with the "Corolla" cover but can you give me an idea of a waterproof cover?

Terry

2015 19' Escape (March 2015)
2015 Highlander
buzz&jessie is offline   Reply With Quote