TrailerLegs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
TrailerLegs

I was wondering if anyone here has ever used this product?

TrailerLegs

If for now your trailer is going to be doing more sitting in the back yard than travelling, is something like this needed? If so, it seems like a pretty simple solution.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
In my opinion, they would be a total waste of time, and could even cause damage to the axles. I have never raised tires off the ground while in storage, and have never had a single issue because of this.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Thanks for the feedback Jim. I have a friend who keeps his camper up on jack stands anytime it is not in use, and gives his tires a spin anytime he happens to walk by. I was just curious what, if anything at all, others do.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #4

Raising the tires off the ground has been discussed a bit before, and I know a couple folks like the idea, but the vast majority do not do it. Maybe because of the hassle, or maybe like my that think it unnecessary?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
After replacing tires due to bubble on my last trailer I do see the benefit of raising and turning the wheels when in storage. I did do it one year but find it way more hassle then I'm willing to do.

On the other hand these would be nice come time to rotate the tires and so forth, I'd still opt to put jack stands under it. To me jacking up the trailer is the biggest hassle of the job. Don't think I'd want to be the first one to try it with a fifth wheel.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I'd prefer my old jack stands. Dexter says that a trailer should never be jacked up via the axle, so that in itself would make me stay away from these.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
After replacing tires due to bubble on my last trailer...
Bob, you have my curiosity piqued. Was extended parking on the tires the cause of these bubbles for sure, and do you have any photos? I have heard others complain of problems from overwintering without support, but I have never seen it on any of dozens of trailers. Could climate play a role?

I have heard it said it was more of a requirement in days past with bias ply tires, than it is now with radial tires.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
If you don't jack the trailer by the axle I imagine it has to be jacked by the frame. How tall of a hydraulic jack do you need? We are picking up a 19 in July and I had a nice scissor jack I was planing on using. Bad Idea?
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
A scissor jack can work just fine, but you may need to put something under it to get it high enough. I used the jack from our, then, Tacoma when I had a flat on the highway. I put it on a stack of my "lego block" leveling blocks to get it high enough. I also put down the trailer's stabilizing jack for added stability while changing the tire. (But our 17B has full scissor leveling jacks)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
If you don't jack the trailer by the axle I imagine it has to be jacked by the frame. How tall of a hydraulic jack do you need? We are picking up a 19 in July and I had a nice scissor jack I was planing on using. Bad Idea?
For changing tire or servicing bearings on a 19 nothing better or easier:
http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-Ta...ywords=RV+Jack
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I use my small floor jack on the end plate of the axles. Don't really see any reason not to. Doesn't make sense to have to jack up the frame, have the wheel droop, and have to jack up the frame even higher.

For just removing one wheel I use a short piece of 2 x 10. Pull the one wheel up on it and the other wheel should be clear of the ground. Actually my 2 x 10 has a piece of 1/2" plywood on the bottom giving it a thickness of 2". Sometimes 1 1/2" lift isn't quite enough.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I use my small floor jack on the end plate of the axles. Don't really see any reason not to. Doesn't make sense to have to jack up the frame, have the wheel droop, and have to jack up the frame even higher.
Over the years, more than one person has caused problems by jacking on the axle. Everything from collapsed tubes to pinched torsion. Besides, Dexter doesn't recommend it.

Dexter recommends that you do not jack up the trailer on the suspension components because there is always the potential for damage. Bent hangers, leaf springs, or axle tubes can cause bad axle alignment with bad tire wear resulting. Also, many trailer builders do not use Dexter hangers and we have no idea how strong these hangers may or may not be. Therefore, we take the conservative approach and recommend jacking up only on the trailer frame.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Over the years, more than one person has caused problems by jacking on the axle. Everything from collapsed tubes to pinched torsion. Besides, Dexter doesn't recommend it.

Dexter recommends that you do not jack up the trailer on the suspension components because there is always the potential for damage. Bent hangers, leaf springs, or axle tubes can cause bad axle alignment with bad tire wear resulting. Also, many trailer builders do not use Dexter hangers and we have no idea how strong these hangers may or may not be. Therefore, we take the conservative approach and recommend jacking up only on the trailer frame.
The Escape manual says to jack only from the axle. The following is copied and pasted from my manual, page 22:

Brake Adjustment

Brakes should be adjusted after the first 500 kms of operation and every 5,000 kms thereafter. Adjust the brakes as follows using a standard automotive brake tool:

I. Remove the rubber plug from the adjustment hole at the base of the brake drum backing plate.

2. Raise the wheel off the ground. Place the jack under the axle only.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Oh brother...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oh brother...
I also checked the manual on ETI's site today to make sure mine was not outdated. Its still says to jack from the axle only.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
The Escape manual says to jack only from the axle. The following is copied and pasted from my manual, page 22:

Brake Adjustment

Brakes should be adjusted after the first 500 kms of operation and every 5,000 kms thereafter. Adjust the brakes as follows using a standard automotive brake tool:

I. Remove the rubber plug from the adjustment hole at the base of the brake drum backing plate.

2. Raise the wheel off the ground. Place the jack under the axle only.
Guess what no rubber plug ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Guess what no rubber plug ! Pat
I think that chances how the trailer should or should not be jacked?
Old 05-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Bob, you have my curiosity piqued. Was extended parking on the tires the cause of these bubbles for sure, and do you have any photos? I have heard others complain of problems from overwintering without support, but I have never seen it on any of dozens of trailers. Could climate play a role?

I have heard it said it was more of a requirement in days past with bias ply tires, than it is now with radial tires.
Trailer was a single axle, max weight was 3500, while the empty trailer weight was 3300. Safe to say I towed it all over the east whilst being overweight by at least a few hundred. Didn't know about GVWR's and all that till after I bought the trailer. Who'd have thought they would build a trailer that didn't leave enough headroom to fill the water and propane tanks.

Tires were Towmax, not known for being very good. At 2 years old the manufacturer had to replace them as they had cracking all over the sidewalls. About 3 years later I found both tires had big bubbles on the inside when preping it in the spring. Talked to the tire guy I use who said it was most likely from sitting for 7 months without moving. Suggested blocking up the trailer for the winter next time and rotating the tires as the OP mentioned. Also said the BEST thing would be to block it up and then remove the tires and store them inside. As I mentioned. I only blocked it up the first year. I did change to Maxxis M8008's which have a good rep.

The Carlisles on the Escape look very similar to the Maxxis, The Towmax had a very narrow footprint.

I'll blame the bubbles on the combination of crap tires and 7 months winter outside storage.

The tire guy is the store owner, been in business roughly 40 years, as opposed to some 20 year old at Tire Warehouse. Take the advise however one wishes.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
I also checked the manual on ETI's site today to make sure mine was not outdated. Its still says to jack from the axle only.
I wouldn't follow that instruction until I had it confirmed by ETI. I think that is a mistake as my recollection is that Reace told me to jack on the frame NEAR the axle.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have sent an email to ETI asking them to step in and clarify jacking the trailer.