Traveling to ETI. Do you have any advice? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 escape trailer 21'
Traveling to ETI. Do you have any advice?

We are planning our route to ETI for pickup of our 21' escape. Sure would appreciate any advice as to route or stops that anyone has experienced. We're located in East TN and will also be traveling with our dogs. Looks like it will be a long trip, plus we'll be tent camping until we pickup the escape. We'd like to be able to see some sights along the way as well. Also considering after taking possession of trailer that we would like to travel in Canada & since we have family near Albany, NY come back to that area before completing our trip home. Also would appreciate any advice that anyone can offer as to weather for later in the year. ETI has told us that there is a campground across the road from them & we are considering staying at it a couple of days before starting the journey home so that we can check out everything on the escape & become familiar with it.
whitepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Eastern Tennessee to British Columbia's Lower Mainland to New York State... sounds like a grand adventure! I hope you have lots of time.

An obvious choice after pickup is to visit the Rocky Mountain parks, such as Jasper and Banff. From there to New York State you can take a Canadian route north of the Great Lakes, or various U.S. routes between the lakes (such as through Michigan then southern Ontario to Niagara Falls) or south of the lakes (through Chicago then south of Lake Erie). Although I like the scenery north of Lake Superior, it is very slow going due to winding two-lane highways, so most people would suggest crossing from Canada into the U.S. by North Dakota at the latest.

Even if going south of Superior, the trip is an opportunity to visit more of Canada by coming back in at Sarnia or Windsor (Detroit) to go through southern Ontario. If you keep going along the north side of Lake Ontario you can see the big-city sights in Toronto, historic Kingston (the other one!), and the Thousand Islands area.

I just checked in Google Maps, and was surprised to see that the North-of-Superior route is only a few hundred kilometres and five hours longer than the most direct route from Banff (for example) to Albany... but that still doesn't make it the preferred route for someone who is crossing the border anyway.

So the big question: when is the pickup? Even now is already "later in the year" for the mountain parks and prairie provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #3

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
ETI travel

When is your trailer going to be ready ? The weather can change very quickly getting in to Oct/Nov.
Our 21 is supposed to be finished early Nov we thought about getting it from Naples Fl. but its over 3500 miles and at 500-600 miles a day its a 6-7 day excursion thats if everything goes OK . Coming back would be the vacation part but in Nov who knows what the weather would be like .So far we have opted to have them ship it to Goshen Indiana Thats only a 2 day drive up from Florida 1300 miles ETI truckers want $4000 CD (they are not working for ETI)
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
If fuel prices matter to you, according to Gas Buddy gasoline prices in Canada currently range between $3.12 to $4.60 (by Province) for 4 liters, which is slightly more than a gallon. Even with the favorable exchange rate, gasoline is substantially more north of the border. So if cost is important to you.......
However, Brian is absolutely correct; the scenery on the north side of Lake Superior is beautiful and the terrain is somewhat different than that of the UP in that it is more hilly.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
The two times we went to Chilliwack, it was I 80 the first time and I 90 the second time. As for getting to Chilliwack when you get to Washington, the choice is either the mountains from Osoyoos or bucking the traffic through Seattle. No nice clean shot in. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We plan on driving I80/I90 and staying at KOA's cabins which allow dogs, I believe LaQuinta and Motel 6 also allow pets. We plan on staying at Lyden, Wa KOA which is within 30 minutes of Chilliwack. Once hooked up we will take our time camping our way back east and perhaps attend some rallies.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Don't forget rabies certificates for the dogs.

You can bypass Seattle by going north to Steven's Pass which is open most of the year (closes slightly more often than 90) and is very scenic.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
If fuel prices matter to you, according to Gas Buddy gasoline prices in Canada currently range between $3.12 to $4.60 (by Province) for 4 liters, which is slightly more than a gallon. Even with the favorable exchange rate, gasoline is substantially more north of the border. So if cost is important to you.......
Both gas and diesel here today were (up to a couple cents cheaper if you checked on Gas Buddy), or $2.58 USD per US gallon.

I just feuled up both today.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Thanks for the reminder, we are likely headed to the US in 3 weeks and need to do that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Both gas and diesel here today were (up to a couple cents cheaper if you checked on Gas Buddy), or $2.58 USD per US gallon.

I just feuled up both today.
I'm in Huntsville, Alabama visiting son and family. Filled up yesterday for $1.85 per gallon. It's more expensive where I live in Florida, $2.19 per gallon.🙁
Old 09-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I'm in Huntsville, Alabama visiting son and family. Filled up yesterday for $1.85 per gallon. It's more expensive where I live in Florida, $2.19 per gallon.🙁
In the past it has been nearly twice the price here though. For us, it is a bit of a break.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:40 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
Since you have family in Albany and you live in East Tennessee you have been up I-81. The Thousand Like area at the I-81 border crossing is pretty spectacular. It's not on the way, unless you drive up 81 and travel west in Canada. (or the reverse)
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
The Thousand Like area at the I-81 border crossing is pretty spectacular. It's not on the way, unless you drive up 81 and travel west in Canada. (or the reverse)
It would presumably be the reverse, to pick up the Escape then go through this area on the way to visiting the relatives.

This is presumably referring to the Thousand Islands area that I mentioned:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you keep going along the north side of Lake Ontario you can see the big-city sights in Toronto, historic Kingston (the other one!), and the Thousand Islands area.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:12 AM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post

You can bypass Seattle by going north to Steven's Pass which is open most of the year (closes slightly more often than 90) and is very scenic.
We are going to be picking our 21 up on October 17. Staying a couple days in Lyden KOA to check things out than heading home to New York to beat heavy snow. What's the route over Stevens pass? Would love to by-pass Seattle. Thanks.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Stevens Pass is also US Route#2 and it escapes I90 just west of Spokane and meanders up and over the mountains where I90 goes south around the range. It is about 40 miles shorter to Lynden via Rt#2 from Spokane but about the same time. It is the way we plan on going to bypass the Seattle megalopolis. If you stop for the night in Spokane it is about 8 hour drive to Lynden.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:26 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Advice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
We are going to be picking our 21 up on October 17. Staying a couple days in Lyden KOA to check things out than heading home to New York to beat heavy snow. What's the route over Stevens pass? Would love to by-pass Seattle. Thanks.
Hi: Jake930... Enjoy the trip... You've earned it. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I drove from upstate NY in April, 2011, and turned it into a 111 day journey - here is the journal of the trip. While the weather along the way was good for the most part, some of the passes through the Continental Divide were white out conditions, even in April.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Here's part of the route we took to ETI in July. BC 3 is a beautiful drive and would be better headed west w/o your trailer. BC 3 is like a 2 and 3 lane interstate w/o all the billboards, traffic, and a slower speed limit. Passes may have some snow anytime in the fall months.

https://goo.gl/maps/NaASiFiAH3q

Johnstone Creek Provincial Park - BC Parks

Cultus Lake Provincial Park - BC Parks

Johnstone Cr is just 16 sites just 1/4 mi south of BC 3. It is away from the busy Osoyoos
area. Cultus Lake has 3 different camping areas, is beautiful but a bit suburban. It is just 20 minutes south of ETI.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
All of this talk of snow is scaring me! We don't have that stuff down here and I'm scheduled to pick up my 21' in January.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
All of this talk of snow is scaring me! We don't have that stuff down here and I'm scheduled to pick up my 21' in January.

Vancouver area will likely be bare and wet.

Southern passes are where the snow may/may not get you.

Someone posted this issue last year.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote