Traveling with a dog - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2024, 05:24 PM   #101

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 06:04 PM   #102

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Five years later, I still have a barker and I again have a fence-knocker. Buzz made it through three trips his first year and on the 4th hit the 24" pen running and knocked it down. Now I have 34" and ground stakes and I still watch him. But if I go somewhere he is in a crate in the trailer. He channels Jack. First time I opened the front window guard on the 15 I looked in to see Jack on the counter. Both dogs are quiet in the trailer (provided nobody knocks and I'm not trying to put on walking shoes (they know what that means.)

It does limit you in what you can do on a trip. Fine with me as I'm not a big sightseer. But something to keep in mind.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 06:52 AM   #103

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
We take our doggie on short trips with us, but only when we don't / won't have to leave him in the trailer for long periods of time. Otherwise, he goes to boarding
Attached Thumbnails
escape_dog.jpg  
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 02:59 PM   #104

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Locating Dog Parks

🤣I see I actually posted on this stream back in 2019 - recommending dog park apps, to allow my dog quality off-leash romping, and interacting with other dogs.

Since then the apps seem to have become more spotty, but the last few years I’ve had excellent results using Google Maps, searching for “dog parks near___” picking any town on my route. Zooming in or out effects the area Google Maps searches. It has amazed me how many dog parks there are, and many in unexpected locations. Most are free.

On Google Maps you can read reviews, and see which times are most populated (🤣whether you consider that something attractive or to avoid).

😁I’ve even had some serendipitous rerouting of my travels, in order to include dog parks!
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 03:08 PM   #105

Weird, tried to quote the last post and it quoted my last one instead. Anyway, maybe I said this in 2019, but I knew the ones between Fresno and Seattle pretty well. (Dog parks.) The one I went to in Redding was off the main drag but nice- I always looked for a small dog side. I probably wouldn't now though because of respiratory viruses going around.
Old 02-10-2024, 03:10 PM   #106

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My home town just opened a new dog Park in the middle of the city near a redeveloping part of town. That makes three. I was part of the siting and development of the first two and am happy to see the program continue. Dogs need to run, need socialization and regular special attention by their owners. Dog parks provide all three.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-04-2024, 04:39 AM   #107

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Ever since Shoji was attacked by two Pitbulls last year while out on a walk we've been a bit anxious just sitting at camp and not being able to see what might be coming from behind. On our last campout at our daughter's country property their neighbor on the adjoining property was walking through his woods and walked over to say hello. We heard him say hello but his dog walked over first from behind our camper. Fortunately the dog was okay but it scared my wife and Shoji to death.

This is rural country and the neighbors land is just 60 acres of woods that he only uses for hunting.

The owner was super nice and apologized. He just wanted to say a friendly hello. But because of that we are looking to get a little fence are 10' x 10'? A size for a couple of lawn chairs, a little 2x2 table, dog bed and such.

Shoji is not the one to run off. He's a bit on the lazy side but we would feel safer with a little barrier around him.

Any thoughts or suggestions on a small (height), easy to set up, lightweight, travel friendly fence? It's hard to gauge what fencing looks like just from website photos.

Thanks in advance for the help.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 07:44 AM   #108

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Ever since Shoji was attacked by two Pitbulls last year while out on a walk we've been a bit anxious just sitting at camp and not being able to see what might be coming from behind. On our last campout at our daughter's country property their neighbor on the adjoining property was walking through his woods and walked over to say hello. We heard him say hello but his dog walked over first from behind our camper. Fortunately the dog was okay but it scared my wife and Shoji to death.

This is rural country and the neighbors land is just 60 acres of woods that he only uses for hunting.

The owner was super nice and apologized. He just wanted to say a friendly hello. But because of that we are looking to get a little fence are 10' x 10'? A size for a couple of lawn chairs, a little 2x2 table, dog bed and such.

Shoji is not the one to run off. He's a bit on the lazy side but we would feel safer with a little barrier around him.

Any thoughts or suggestions on a small (height), easy to set up, lightweight, travel friendly fence? It's hard to gauge what fencing looks like just from website photos.

Thanks in advance for the help.
I got a portable fence through Amazon. I have a cargo rack designed for ATVs on the back of the trailer and that's where I carry the fence panels.
Attached Thumbnails
20230412_075357.jpg  
Old 03-04-2024, 10:42 AM   #109

I forgot to add that the panels against the trailer are 24 inches high and the outside panels are 32 inches. I use two gate panels.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:03 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I forgot to add that the panels against the trailer are 24 inches high and the outside panels are 32 inches. I use two gate panels.
That's pretty much what I do but I often put the panels all the way around the trailer (I have 4 sets) as then the dogs can go under the trailer and I don't have that awkward to block spot by the door. It's nice to be able to let them out at night if needed without getting shoes and a coat.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:21 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
That's pretty much what I do but I often put the panels all the way around the trailer (I have 4 sets) as then the dogs can go under the trailer and I don't have that awkward to block spot by the door. It's nice to be able to let them out at night if needed without getting shoes and a coat.
I created a wire barrier and tie it in with the fence panels using Velcro straps.

I don't know why the image is upside down?
Attached Thumbnails
Step Barrier.jpg  
Old 03-04-2024, 02:14 PM   #112

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Given the slightest provocation Josie would probably knock down any fencing. She is a load. To keep her from running off investigating whatever we have to employ a long tether. My solution was to replace a bolt on the door step with this eye loop thingo. Makes it handy/convenient for allowing late night needs for her to go outside.
Attached Thumbnails
BackWindow.jpg  
Old 03-04-2024, 02:22 PM   #113
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
We have been incredibly fortunate with Sage so we have never had to employ crates, fence panels, etc. if we did, I would probably look into something like a battery powered invisible fence and shock collar with solar charger. That would help keep the pupper near by but wouldn’t help keeping other dogs out.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:12 PM   #114

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
We use a long rope with a clip on the end. We tie it off at the desired length to various parts of the trailer that make sense for the location where we’re camping to allow the dog maximum freedom.
It works for us and the dog but like other posters it doesn’t deter other animals. Luckily we haven’t had a problem so far. We do keep a pretty close eye on her when she’s outside.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:37 PM   #115

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
I got a portable fence through Amazon. I have a cargo rack designed for ATVs on the back of the trailer and that's where I carry the fence panels.
I saw that fencing on Amazon and watch a couple of videos on it. Looks like a solid and easy to assemble product.

Thanks for the photo.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 04:09 PM   #116

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post

My solution was to replace a bolt on the door step with this eye loop thingo.
Want to tell us why you didn't use the grab handle.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 07:14 PM   #117

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
What grab handle?

Long gone, dog gone it.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 10:31 PM   #118

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Dog fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I saw that fencing on Amazon and watch a couple of videos on it. Looks like a solid and easy to assemble product.

Thanks for the photo.
Our two golden doodles are not jumpers and we have used the 24” high fence for years. We set it up outside the trailer on an outdoor rug, put our camp chairs inside and hang out with the dogs. It also makes an easy place to feed them. They like being with us and if we are in the trailer cooking dinner or eating they are close by but not underfoot. Sometimes when we have camped with friends we combine fences and have one really big one for campers and dogs.
Ours came from one of the big box pet stores and lasted 7 years. It is pretty dilapidated now so we are going to replace it this year.

Camping with dogs is a great thing.
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM   #119

I used to use a 24" wire fence. Buzz's 4th camping trip he jumped at it and the entire setup fell down. (It worked for his first few months.) So I got a 34" tall Iris fence- the advantage of it is that rather than hinged panels they connected with metal posts. I went to Home Depot and got longer metal posts to fit and every two panels I hammer a post into the ground (where possible). This set up works if he jumps up to it. On shorter trips I just put a tie on him at night but it's much more relaxing to put up a secure fence, and no worries about wildlife. Fort Casey where we often camp has deer that sometimes roam the campground, tons of rabbits, and at night, coyotes. (And some places have bears though I haven't seen one in years.) (In the picture I have a lattice piece under the step but I don't find that is as secure as 360 fencing.)
Attached Thumbnails
Buzz and sign.jpeg  
Old 03-08-2024, 06:24 PM   #120

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I could not be bothered setting up and even having a fence. Where needed I use a long line with one end fixed to the trailer and the other off at a tree, table or something out there. I attach the regular lead to the dog and the loop to the line with a carabiner. Works great.

All said, I am a firm believer that nothing beats good training to start with. My dogs have always been trained to stay by the trailer when told. Random camping in most cases, go for it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote