Traveling with a dog - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Traveling with a dog

Hi,
My wife decided she really wants a dog. She has decided on a welsh corgi. Any tips on traveling with a dog? Do you recommend a shipping kennel to keep the dog in while you are away from the trailer? I’m a cat person and our cat just passed away. My wife is really set on a welsh corgi. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It shouldn't be a problem. For us it isn't, we taken dogs all over the world with us, planes, trains, buses, boats and of course, thousands of miles with the trailer.

Dogs are happy when they're with their humans. As long as the dog has a modicum of training having him along on your travels will add enjoyment and they're also a great ice breaker.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Hi,
My wife decided she really wants a dog. She has decided on a welsh corgi. Any tips on traveling with a dog?

Yup. Don't.
Our beagle Charly went to the vet for the last time several years ago. Now, instead of sitting in the car with the dog, I get to go tour the pioneer museum. We get to eat at a decent restaurant instead of going to the drive thru. We can do anything we want without worrying about the dog.
We thought she just slept when we left her in the trailer. Close neighbour at a campground informed us that she cried the entire time we were away. I'm sure she heard the car leave, because she was quiet until then.
And, we can use the vet bills we used to pay to go camping.
Attached Thumbnails
charly fire 1.jpg   charly fishing.jpg   Charly.jpg  
Old 08-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Please view this thread and then let me know what you wish to know,,,,,http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...era-14988.html
Old 08-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I've always traveled with my many dogs, the last two in three different trailers and never a problem when we left them in there for a few hours, but of course it depends upon the dog. They usually will sleep. Always keep water for them. Always fuss over them when you return. My opinion is if the dog is insecure, very young, unhappy or has not learned to trust his masters, when left alone it will bark it's bleepin' head off. (Example ONE: my neighbor across the street.)

Of course, Mark Twain when asked why he liked cats so much said, "...they don't bark."
Attached Thumbnails
Josiebed1.jpg  
Old 08-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
Gbaglo, To each his own and while there is some truth to what you say, I wouldn’t think of camping without a Boykin Spaniel running along side of me.
RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #7

If your wife is familiar with separation anxiety, controlling barking, leash and crate training, doesn't mind giving up going somewhere because of the time away from the dog would be too long, etc., a dog would make sense. Far too many people get dogs, travel with them and lock them up for hours alone (I have seen the chewed and soiled RVs they traded in) while sightseeing. As the owner of 2 larger senior dogs and traveling with both dogs and cats of various types since the early 1980s, one has to be able to put the dogs needs" before their wants or they should pass on getting one in my informed opinion. Far too many dogs get dumped when the reality of the responsibility and limitations come into play.

Camping public campgrounds with dogs is nice, but RV parks, not so much.
Brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Camping public campgrounds with dogs is nice, but RV parks, not so much.
We found that KOA with dog parks are very helpful, nice for our dogs.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Hi,
My wife decided she really wants a dog. She has decided on a welsh corgi. Any tips on traveling with a dog? Do you recommend a shipping kennel to keep the dog in while you are away from the trailer? I’m a cat person and our cat just passed away. My wife is really set on a welsh corgi. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
One of the many reasons for us to purchase an Escape is so that we can take our two dogs with us and NOT leave them at a boarding kennel.

We car camped from Vegas to Canada, spent one night in a hotel there, one in Everett WA, and then car camped all the way back. 20 hours each way. The dogs were nervous when we left the house and glad when we got home, but they became real campers somewhere along the way. No doubt in my mind they will be happy to join us again, and we were happy to have them with us as well.
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I have had Welsh corgis since I got my first trailer. First Pembrokes, now Cardigans.

I've had a few that needed to be in a crate (kennel) while in the trailer alone or they'd get into things. Jack (Pem) could get onto the counter or into the fridge in the Escape. Mostly they are fine, though. Just depends on your dog.

Train your pup not to bark when left alone (that is, do not return and console it if it is barking!) A barking dog left in a trailer is a big problem and a no no at campsites. Corgis, like most herding dogs, default by nature to barking. Taking your dog out for a nice hike or a game of ball before leaving it will help.

Corgis shed so keep yours groomed (combed to remove loose hair, there isn't much other grooming besides nails required) to minimize hair in the trailer.

Corgis are very popular so expect lots of attention. We've at times had problems with other people's kids refusing to leave us alone even at our own campsite. I'm always nice to kids when out and about but sometimes have asked them not to interrupt us at our site- they can come see the dogs when we are out. (This more true at some kid-friendly campgrounds than others.)

Corgis like water in general but aren't great swimmers so have a PFD if you will be near water. Ruffwear are good ones for corgis, usually the Small or the Medium size.

I use Xpens to contain the corgis at the campsite. My current pair do not jump on the pen walls so we do fine with 24" pens and 3-4 can circle our Escape 15 and let them have the run of the area. Jack (of the fridge and counter escapades above) could escape from any pen and would if I left him.

The corgis like to have the space under the bed to sleep (or sleep with you.)

If you want another cat, get a kitten when you get the puppy or a little sooner. Corgis that do not grow up with cats will likely be cat chasers. Corgis that do grow up with them are often fast friends with cats.
Attached Thumbnails
Cardis at Grayland.jpg  
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We love having Jasper along as we have dogs before him. Hundreds of Escape owners have met him.

I can't stress enough that owner's should take the wee bit of time needed to fully train a dog when it is young, then you end up spending time with a pet that is no problem at all. All the basic like heeling, staying, coming when called, not going through doors without permission, etc.

We try to do as much as possible with Jasper, but when we head out to a nice dinner, take in a train tour, check out a museum, and stuff like that, he either stays in the truck if the weather is cool enough or in the trailer if warmer. Never had an issue there. These events without him are not a very common thing as he just loves going places. We have found lots of stores that let him come in, otherwise I get to avoid shopping and sit with him watching stuff.

Pretty much the only negative we have found with travelling with a pet is going for hikes in the US National Parks where for some reason they don't allow dogs. I know a few are not trained well, but the majority are.

Jasper even loves the Mexican beaches.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Hi, I see you have a 19. Just like us. And yes, we do travel with a dog. Actually two.
We bring along camping a wired kennel, size about 23”x17”x20”. In the day time this kennel is parked outside, while the dogs (Boston terrier and Cavalier King Charles) spend most of their day on a long leash tight up to a stake into the ground.
At night, or when we leave, the kennel gets parked under the table in the dinette area for the dogs to sleep in.
On rainy days, when there is no other option then to spend time inside, the kennel stays outside while we use the dinette. The doggies will get free supervised roaming of the floor in the trailer.
This size of kennel being parked under the dinette gives enough room for the bathroom door to still open ninety degrees.
You will love camping with a dog! We sure do
Old 08-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #13

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Our pups love camping. When the trailer shows up in driveway, they get so excited. We try to stay in State Parks since most are dog friendly. We just booked a trip to Yellowstone and their are many restrictions on dogs but if we wear them out before we go exploring, they just want to sleep all day.
Attached Thumbnails
buster.jpg   dex.jpg  
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Can't live without our dogs. Have camped for years (actually, decades) with them. No problem leaving them in the camper after having gone on nice, long walks with them. Also, we leave them plenty of water, their dog beds, windows open or cracked and MaxxFan on... and we leave music playing for them. We find if there is noise in the camper, they can't hear noises from outside that might cause them to bark. We leave window shades that they can see out of closed for the same reason.

That said, dogs do take an extra level of care and planning. For us, it's well worth it.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
To me it's pretty simple: If your priority is going to be the dog, go ahead and get one and take him/her everywhere with you. This will limit your travel options. Can't leave them at all if they bark or howl, can't go on many trails, must eat outside at restaurants, can't leave them in the car or trailer when it's hot whether they bark or not.

If your priority is travel, do it without the dog.

My guy is big, and howls like a wolf when left alone in the trailer, so we don't ever leave him.

Crates are one of many things you have to figure out. Some dogs love them, some hate them. They have to be trained to get in there without a battle in my experience.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5186.jpg  
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:06 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I belong to a Camping & RV group on Facebook. This just popped up:

Q: Did you know.
We are trying to set up a trip from Alabama to Utah. Did you know the higher altitude affects your pets too? something to check into.

A: I have a shihtzu and we had to change our plans and head back east because it was to hard for her to breathe you could tell she was not comfortable.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I belong to a Camping & RV group on Facebook. This just popped up:

Q: Did you know.
We are trying to set up a trip from Alabama to Utah. Did you know the higher altitude affects your pets too? something to check into.

A: I have a shihtzu and we had to change our plans and head back east because it was to hard for her to breathe you could tell she was not comfortable.
A local friend discovered their small dog had a heart condition the same way. She couldn't breathe well at the high altitudes when they traveled. (Unfortunately, it wasn't life-saving to find out as she still didn't last long, even with treatment.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yup. Don't.
Our beagle Charly went to the vet for the last time several years ago. Now, instead of sitting in the car with the dog, I get to go tour the pioneer museum. We get to eat at a decent restaurant instead of going to the drive thru. We can do anything we want without worrying about the dog.
We thought she just slept when we left her in the trailer. Close neighbour at a campground informed us that she cried the entire time we were away. I'm sure she heard the car leave, because she was quiet until then.
And, we can use the vet bills we used to pay to go camping.
I agree with Glenn. Glenn left out a couple of things to consider. On cold nights you'll have to share your sleeping bag. Probably the biggest negative is that she or he will leave long before you are ready.

"Scratch" waiting for the Haines Skagway ferry
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0192 (3).jpg   Forrest Gump Point (2).jpg  
Old 08-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Totally agree with all the above.
It all depends on what kind of travelers you are. Yes, you have to adjust to traveling with a dog.
It will work when you are an outdoor person yourself. Enjoying nature more then touring indoor facilities, enjoy your own barbecuing more then dinners at fancy restaurants, like to take walks instead of watching tv, etc.
Just trying to help you two to come to the right decision, instead of trying to talk you out of it.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We love having Jasper along as we have dogs before him. Hundreds of Escape owners have met him.

I can't stress enough that owner's should take the wee bit of time needed to fully train a dog when it is young, then you end up spending time with a pet that is no problem at all. All the basic like heeling, staying, coming when called, not going through doors without permission, etc.

We try to do as much as possible with Jasper, but when we head out to a nice dinner, take in a train tour, check out a museum, and stuff like that, he either stays in the truck if the weather is cool enough or in the trailer if warmer. Never had an issue there. These events without him are not a very common thing as he just loves going places. We have found lots of stores that let him come in, otherwise I get to avoid shopping and sit with him watching stuff.

Pretty much the only negative we have found with travelling with a pet is going for hikes in the US National Parks where for some reason they don't allow dogs. I know a few are not trained well, but the majority are.

Jasper even loves the Mexican beaches.

Jasper is a beauty. Can't wait to get our Escape so that we can get our two girls out on the road. They are happy wherever we are.
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote