Traveling with Cats - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2015, 10:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21'
Traveling with Cats

I know many of you travel with cats. But my question is HOW?
We just turned in our build sheet for a 21'. Next summer we (my husband and me) are hoping to be full timers! But what about my cat? Do your cats like to travel? Do you let them out? Where do you put a litter box? Any advice will be appreciated!
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:50 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury&Julie View Post
I know many of you travel with cats. But my question is HOW?
We just turned in our build sheet for a 21'. Next summer we (my husband and me) are hoping to be full timers! But what about my cat? Do your cats like to travel? Do you let them out? Where do you put a litter box? Any advice will be appreciated!
A friend keeps the litter box in the bath during the day when the cat is inside and under the dinette at night. All animals need to be leashed/controlled when camping as there are carnivores looking for lunch in many places.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:09 AM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I did a month long rental trip earlier this year and my cat went with me. Granted, it was in a motorhome, which would be a bit different from a trailer. I made frequent stops so she could get off the bed to use the cat box, eat some food and get some snuggles. She stayed on the bed once she realized it was not a good thing to move around while I was driving.

I always had her harness on which had her rabies tag and contact information on it. She's not the escaping type of cat (crippled in the back end so she doesn't move too quickly), but I still wanted that info on her, just in case. Stuff happens.

I took her outside a few times, but she was always on her leash, which was attached to her harness. I tested her out on it at home before I left.

If Lucy's still around when we get the trailer (she's 14+, so kind of doubtful with her other health problems), I plan to put the litter box at the foot of the bed. For traveling, she would travel in a pet carrier in the truck as she'd be safer that way. I'd be stopping every few hours for breaks for myself and for her, so I'd let her loose in the trailer. We both would need those food and pee breaks!

The other kitty we just acquired - not sure if I'd take him with me as I don't trust him to stay in the trailer when the door is opened. Will your cat want to escape from inside?

I also traveled with copies of her current medical exams and shots, in case I had to take her to a vet while on the road.

And a small shirt that we got for her when she had surgery on her belly area and wasn't supposed to go near the stitches. It also helped keep her warmer and the motorhome got a bit nippy at night as I like to sleep in a cooler environment. The shirt doesn't bother her at all.

I really enjoyed having her with me on that trip. She was a great traveler and didn't complain once.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Do you let them out?
I would never let a cat out free at a campsite - way too risky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
All animals need to be leashed/controlled when camping as there are carnivores looking for lunch in many places.
I agree... and there are other dangers, especially in unfamiliar places.

Some cats do well on leashes with harnesses, but some don't. A wire crate playpen/kennel is another alternative for outside time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Where do you put a litter box?
I arranged compartments for litter boxes in two RVs, in each case with a cat flap door from the interior and an access door for box cleaning from the exterior. I noticed in a build photo collection that an Escape owner had a cat flap installed to allow the litter box to be kept in the compartment under a dinette seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
A friend keeps the litter box in the bath during the day when the cat is inside and under the dinette at night.
We've done that in our Boler (roughly Escape 17 equivalent).
Old 11-19-2015, 01:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I always had her harness on which had her rabies tag and contact information on it. She's not the escaping type of cat (crippled in the back end so she doesn't move too quickly), but I still wanted that info on her, just in case. Stuff happens.

I took her outside a few times, but she was always on her leash, which was attached to her harness. I tested her out on it at home before I left.

For traveling, she would travel in a pet carrier in the truck as she'd be safer that way. I'd be stopping every few hours for breaks for myself and for her, so I'd let her loose in the trailer.
All seem like great ideas to me. When stuff does happen, that harness can make catching the escaping cat a lot easier; our cats wear harnesses when travelling.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Gotta say -- you cat owners are fearless! It's probably easier to leave a cat in the trailer than it would be a dog -- the cat has its bathroom. And a cat who doesn't ever go outside might not even try to escape. Our cats were always indoor/outdoor and would have driven us crazy if they were kept in the trailer. On this last trip one of our biggest expenses was paying the cat sitters who came by twice a day to feed and talk to the (now deceased) cat.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Not in my trailer
Attached Thumbnails
Bobcat.jpg  
Old 11-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Not all cats are created equal. We've had several over the years and our current little darling is the first that we could travel with. We left the underbed cabinet doors off on our 19' and put the litter box, water bubler, food and her bed down there. Cleaning litter got to be a pain so I made a slide-in/out shelf that makes cleaning easier.

I'll post a picture if I can find it.

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Didn't take long. She's snug as a bug:
Attached Images

Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Due to allergies in the family with furries, our kids have a red foot tortoise. Very simple to travel with when necessary, mostly we can leave him in the backyard when we leave. He has a Tupperware box slide under the bed, doesn't eat much and if he tries to make a run for it he doesn't get far. Problem is he has to be included in the Will.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We live full time in the trailer with our cat. She rides in the truck in her carrier while in motion. She goes into the trailer during our lunch break which gives her a chance to stretch and use the box. She wears a harness and walks on a leash. She enjoys exploring outside and does well with the leash. While stopped she hangs out on the bed or on a box and blanket we put at the back of the table where she can look out the back window. If we are out under the awning she will come outside and hang out with us on her leash.
We had ETI add a cabinet door to the right rear dinette bench (the one with the battery box inside). I also had them change the bench lid support to eliminate the support leg inside the bench. That way the floor is completely clear of obstructions (except for the aforementioned battery box). We keep the litter box in that bench. To clean, remove the cushions and open the bench top, much easier than through the door.
Attached Thumbnails
26.JPG  
keager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #13

Trailer: Sold 2016 17B / looking for another
Our cats have been trained since they were young to use a harness and leash. Since they are expensive purebred Abyssinians, they are exclusively indoor cats OR under complete control when they are outside.

They love to travel. They see the sleeping bags come out and they are ready to go. When in the vehicle, they are contained in a soft-sided dog crate that also has a hard-sided large cat carrier inside, with their litter box inside the cat carrier. The hard-sided cat carrier (1) gives them some privacy (2) contains the scattered litter and (3) gives them something to sit on so they can see outside the vehicle and watch the scenery.

When we are camped, they go outside in an ABO Gear Happy Habitat, sort of a screen tent for cats. This way they can be outside in the fresh air and sunshine, smelling all the smells, seeing all the birdies, but not able to run off.

If a Moderator can update my permissions, I will post some photos and links.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Not in my trailer
Please tell me this is photoshopped! Or tell me where you were so that I can stay AWAY!
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I should be so lucky to get such a shot.

I confess: We were in Saguaro NP campground in Arizona. Two nights before we overnighted in Globe, AZ and before pulling out that morning, when I did my trailer walk-around, discovered my spare tire cover destroyed, ripped up by some curious unknown animal. Its paw prints, however, were clear on the dusty cover. With grateful forensic assistance from wise forum members the conclusion was.... a bobcat did it. My photoshopped image commemorated the event.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #16

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Traveled in crates....free to roam while stationary.

Never allowed outside but that's just me.

Litter box under the dinette....scooped several times daily!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #17

Trailer: Sold 2016 17B / looking for another
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadark View Post
When we are camped, they go outside in an ABO Gear Happy Habitat, sort of a screen tent for cats. This way they can be outside in the fresh air and sunshine, smelling all the smells, seeing all the birdies, but not able to run off.
Here's the link to the kitty tent available at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/ABO-Gear-Happy...s=abo+cat+tent
Old 11-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
Our little kitty was always very comfortable traveling with us. She might look out the trailer window, but once she saw that we weren't at home, she was content to stay inside - especially if she spotted a dog outside! The once or twice that we did take her outside, she was always the one that wanted to return to the safety of our trailer.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA named "At Last"
Fulltiming with a cat

Similar to Keager, I fulltime with 1 cat (previously 2 cats). ETI put in a catflap in the banquette for the litterbox, which is the perfect size.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0116.jpg  
cherryames51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Not sure that is the best location, there appears 2 be several electrical boxes, your solar, inverter, propane detector all within grasp of the feline and it's paws. , maybe the back wall would have been better, at least not so crowded.

Tags
cats, traveling with cats