Truck stolen - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Truck stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I know this is somewhat off topic but interesting none the less www.trackngo.com
I was looking at those a few days ago. Would be nice to have, but at $25k not going to happen. Besides, my F250 4x4 (with a huge topper full of tools) was stolen Saturday night, so I would have nothing to use them on right now anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I was looking at those a few days ago. Would be nice to have, but at $25k not going to happen. Besides, my F250 4x4 (with a huge topper full of tools) was stolen Saturday night, so I would have nothing to use them on right now anyway.
OMG ........that's awful !

Hope the recovery isn't too costly. I had a small box of tools stolen and kept discovering what was missing for months after.

Yeah, I had multiple tool boxes in it, along with some bigger tools. I know I will miss counting lots of tools, some I won't know until I need them.

Quote:
That really sucks Jim. Was it parked at your home at the time and were you there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
That really sucks Jim. Was it parked at your home at the time and were you there?
It was at home, but I was gone for the night, as my car was in no shape to drive home from partying. So it happened between 5:30 Saturday until 8:30 yesterday morn.

What I found was this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck-Pieces.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	4542

What I expected to find was this.

A few years back my F150 4x4 Supercrew was broken into while sitting in front of my house. They got into it by popping the door lock into the door with a hammer and screw driver. Fortunately I did not have anything of value in it, and they did not bother to steal the truck. From the pieces left behind, it looks like they may have used the same method to get into yours. They were obviously aware that you kept a pile of tools in your truck.

You will have to be very cautious when you replace everything, because that is when they will come back for round 2 to get all of the brand new tools. That happened a few years back at our office when thieves stole all of the computers. As soon as the stolen computers were replaced, the thieves came back again and stole the new ones.

Good thinking. I did kill the code on the receiver for my garage door opener, as there was a remote in the truck. The truck is a 2002 diesel, but in great shape, still kinda surprised they would target it. But, the topper used cost me almost $5k to have installed, plus I am sure after I tally the tools, there is near $15k worth in there.

Hey Jim sorry to hear the news, that really sucks. Hope they find your tuck and tools, even nicer if a K9 unit would find the perpetrator.

I have a list now probably 300 items long with what was stolen, and it will only grow. I have to assume now that even if the truck is found, I will have no tools in it. That is going to be one big pain in the butt to deal with.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Truck stolen

moved from other thread
Old 01-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Wow, Gabi sure did have a lot to say.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Wow, Gabi sure did have a lot to say.
Lol.....are you calling me gabby again?

( at least you still have a sense of humor in spite of what has happened )
Old 01-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
OMG. I hate a thief. Dang people who steal from hardworking people and get minimal gain for their rotten efforts. I wish you the best possible outcome. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Lol.....are you calling me gabby again?

( at least you still have a sense of humor in spite of what has happened )
LOL.....Gabby Gabi, any chance you heard that before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
OMG. I hate a thief. Dang people who steal from hardworking people and get minimal gain for their rotten efforts. I wish you the best possible outcome. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
This aspect, that they get maybe 10 cents on the dollar for the goods, really, really angers me.

I have been putting together the costs of the tools, and spend more time remembering all the items I had in that big beast. Lots of materials and supplies too. I just hit the $10k mark, and still going. I think my guestimate of $15k will be accurate. I was lucky in that a lot of the tools are on site, and some of them I took out last weekend when we went out (off the floor) to our land to make room for our gear. That topper has lots and lots of shelving inside. It is a sealed aluminum shell.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
20 years ago we woke up in the middle of the night to find out that someone had set fire to our Suburban in the driveway between our house and the neighbors -- a width of possibly 15 feet. The fire trucks got there before damage could be done to the house. The real scare was that the airstream, with the propane tanks was just a few feet away from the truck. We were very fortunate -- the truck was destroyed, but our family was unhurt and the house was okay. A couple trees were burned, but even they recovered. At first we were shocked and grateful that it wasn't worse, but after a couple of months when we finally started looking for a new Suburban we got in touch with the anger. It was a neighborhood firebug who went to jail for 6 months after he was caught setting fire to a few more trucks. And we live in a safe neighborhood!
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #8

The anger in me is building too, as I start to deal with all the hassles of listing everything stolen, and the fact I can't work on site without my tools. Plus, I need the truck to pull my construction dump trailer. I too live in a good neighbourhood, but methinks thieves prefer them.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #9

Quote:
The anger in me is building too, as I start to deal with all the hassles of listing everything stolen, and the fact I can't work on site without my tools. Plus, I need the truck to pull my construction dump trailer. I too live in a good neighbourhood, but methinks thieves prefer them.
Yeah.... that is understandable ....clearly those creeps new what they were taking . Hopefully they'll get caught ...
Old 01-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #10

I just talked to a friend in the Shuswap (interior BC for those not in the know), and another friend of his just had his F350 stolen early this morning, with two brand new snowmobiles on it. There seems to be an epidemic lately of Ford trucks being stolen. It was just on the news here last Friday, how Ford pickups are by far the most stolen vehicle around here.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
It's such a violation
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Damn,

I am sorry to hear about your Tools the truck can be replaced albeit not very easily. But to steal a mans tools and means of making a living that deserves a special sentence best left to the owner of the tools thoughts. I do think your right about thieves preferring your truck. I am thinking a good security system in the truck and some out door game cameras hidden where you park the truck might be an idea. I found these articles

Thieves find weakness in Ford trucks, police warn - Saskatchewan - CBC News

Police: Thieves targeting Ford trucks in Western Washington | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

I know not much help to know this but thought it was interesting.
As for compiling your list you may not know every tool, screw, pain, stain , caulk you had in there. However, you probably remember most of your jobs for the last year and can use that as a point to remember the little things; I.E oh when was working on Mr. and Mrs. Smiths closet I had to find my mortising chisel or router template and use the long bar clamps to hold the door etc etc. Then Think of how you did the work which electric, battery , air tools you used. Think of the longest electric or air line you had to run out to get to the work, largest amount of clamps you had to use to hold something and so on.

Cypher

PS.
Just found this after talking to a friend of mine who is an insurance investigator. I cut some parts out as it was not relevant link to the entire article is at the bottom.

according to Lt. Scott Dombrowski, of the Houston Police Department's auto theft division.
In 2007, he said, thefts of the same models increased 40 percent, to 1,245.
The trucks, many equipped with double cabs and four-wheel drive, hold a lot of cargo and can easily cross remote areas.
Experts say the big Fords have also been easier to steal than other trucks.
"You can steal these trucks with a screwdriver," Dombrowski said.
Wes Sherwood, manager for Ford truck communications at company headquarters in Dearborn, Mich., said steps have been taken to change that.
Until the 2008 model year, computer chips were not embedded in keys for F-250s and F-350s, he said. Without the "secure lock" key, which has been standard in recent years on other Ford trucks and SUVs, the electronic ignition cannot be activated.
Sherwood said earlier Super Duty models had an anti-theft device that included a car alarm.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...gs-1783820.php
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Sorry for your situation. You are not alone in your anger. Hopefully there is glimmer of getting some things back and undamaged. I don't think there are many of us who have not been a theft victim. However, this is huge. I started marking my tools after some were stolen when our garage was burglarized.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
It is also a good idea to take photographs of the contents of vehicles, especially working trucks, to identify losses in case of theft.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
That is great idea for all on one's belongings!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #16

I went to one site that has a tool bag I had to get an idea on its cost, and a reviewer there that loved his listed all the tools he could put in it, and I was going "I had one of those, and one of those too, and that too......" Pretty sure my multi-page list is missing a few things yet.

And once recompiled, I do plan to take photos of everything laid out on the floor. That would be a great reminder. I do that every once in a while when I clean out my various boxes and tool bags.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I am so sorry to hear about your truck -- and its contents! There's almost nothing worse than having something you've worked long and hard accumulating, taken by some cretan. Let's hope Karma is working against this low-life.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You can hope for some satisfaction that the thief sells them to a competitor and then a week later steals them from him.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
[QUOTE=gbaglo;41560]You can hope for some satisfaction that the thief sells them to a competitor and then a week later steals them from him.[/QUOTtell me the gps coordinates that you have when it was lost then exact time you lost the vehicle....
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Look on the bright side, your Escape escaped being taken…...