Truck tires - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Hi Vicki,
I just went through the same process a few weeks ago and got Cooper Discoverer ATPs from Discount Tire. So far they seem to be pretty good.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I had Michelins on my company truck and after 30 k they were shot . They were replaced with Dayton tires which cost 1/2 as much as Michelins and they lasted 60,000 miles. I have never been convinced that Michelin' s quality matches up with Michelin' s price.
I use Cooper tires on my personal truck - Good Price - Good Tire - Made in the USA.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #23

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
tires

Todays news Cooper Tire bought by a company from India, plants still in Ohio and Arkansas. I buy Michelin, Bridgestone, Kumho for the hot rod due to big and little size with the same pattern, for the trailer only Goodyear Marathons. Sometimes Costco, sometimes Discount who beat Costco price and had my tires in stock this last time.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you have a great tire person available, that's helpful. If you are not a great tire person yourself, I don't know how you know if you are dealing with a slick salesman or an actually useful technical expertise. Consumers have reported some strange things they have been told by people behind tire store counters... and remember, in tire retailing "professional" just means "gets paid to sell tires".
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I agree Brian, I have also been told some wild things by so-called professionals at local tire stores and am glad I did some research before entering their establishment.
It is too bad that you guys have not been able to develop a good relationship with a tire shop. Fortunately I have been able to, and trust them very much. This is no different then any business relationship I have developed over the years. Of course one should always be cautious, especially dealing with someone the first time, and be somewhat knowledgeable if at all possible on what they are purchasing. However, I rely heavily on those that have gained the expertise in their fields, something that gives me piece of mind, and saves me lots of time.

While some things I enjoy researching, as it has a personal interest to me (and usually a fun factor), I could not be bothered to take my time with lots of things, and am always glad to find a competent expert. This is something I rely on with work too. As a general contractor, I can't possibly know the latest and best possible solutions for everything that goes into residential construction, but have allied myself with some good suppliers and sub-contractors, ones that I put good faith in.

Most of these experts, even those in the tire industry, know that dealing fairly with customers is the best way to go in the long run, as it brings repeat business, and referrals. I think most of us have dealt with that "slick" type salesperson who just wants to make the sale, and there are definitely some out there in every industry, but this type never lasts at what they do. I believe it is easy to get a read on a disingenuous type of person. I have definitely crossed paths with this type lots in the past, and if they leave me with any kind of a uncomfortable feeling, I walk away.

I know for a fact that people put great faith in me to do right by them in their projects, and hire me because they believe the can trust me. In fact, I insist up front that we have to develop a level of mutual trust, or it is not worth working together.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Jim, It’s great that you deal with a trusted vendor. I wouldn’t change either with that type of trust, but I don’t visit a tire shop often enough to achieve any kind of relationship. Dealing with the same sales rep and service techs from one service to the next would be highly unlikely in my case.

Costco is no different in this regard. The sales tech changes all the time, but they stick to manufacturers recommendations by refusing to mount any tire size and rating not recommended for your vehicle. I know this for a fact. I talked to them about replacing the 33x12.5x15 tires on my early Bronco and they refused (even though it was already riding on that size) because Ford didn’t recommend it for my 74. Most other shops in my area wouldn’t have that issue. The service technicians at Costco also change all the time, like any other shop, but the final torque to your lug nuts are done by the tire shop manager ONLY. Every Costco tire shop manager is trained in doing that critical job and managers don’t change very often.

So in my case, I’ll stick with Costco, because in my opinion, they’ve covered their bases related to personnel turnover. Others may do the same, but with my limited visits, I just don’t know that to be true.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote