TV/Cable Ready Outlet Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
TV/Cable Ready Outlet Question

We have the "TV/Cable Ready with 120V Outlet" option on our 2018 Escape 21. We don't have the Jack Antenna. My question: Is the TV/Cable Outlet simply a piece of coaxial cable that runs from the outside outlet to the inside outlet? That was my assumption. The reason I ask is because the two times we have hooked up to "cable" it worked fine. However, when I hooked up to an outside antenna using the TV/Cable Outlet, the amplifier on the antenna would not work and we didn't receive any tv stations. If I bypassed the TV/Cable Outlet and ran the same length of coaxial cable directly from the antenna to the amplifier/TV, it worked fine. I can't figure out why running it through the TV/Cable Outlet would cause it to lose the signal. This is not a big deal because we rarely watch TV but I do want to understand.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
All coaxial cable is not the same. Each is made with a specific impedance, usually 50 or 75 ohms, and different types of electronics are designed to operate with a certain cable impedance. If you mismatch them they don’t work.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We changed our TV/120V to TV/12V USB. Today's 12V TV's are awesome and don't need an inverter to run.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We changed our TV/120V to TV/12V USB. Today's 12V TV's are awesome and don't need an inverter to run.

Enjoy,

Perry
We are in the process of finalizing the build sheet for our 21 due in December and when we told Joldie of our 12V TV, she suggested that we delete the 120V receptacle and substitute a 12V outlet instead, and receive a $25 credit as well. Done deal. Not huge $, but enough for a couple of six packs!!
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
All coaxial cable is not the same. Each is made with a specific impedance, usually 50 or 75 ohms, and different types of electronics are designed to operate with a certain cable impedance. If you mismatch them they don’t work.
I think this is on the right track. Although the "RG" nomenclature isn't a standard anymore, I think the cable from the external jack to the internal jack is RG6. So, 75 ohm. If you use similar coax outside, it should work fine. Ours does.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I think if you pull the wall plate you will find 2 cable ports, some have 3, one goes to the outside cable port, the other would connect to the OTA antenna. If that is what you see, try hooking up to that with the antenna and see if it works, this port would be the amplified port.

At least this is the way it was on my 2006, haven't pulled the one on my Escape.

Something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Amp.jpg  
Old 08-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I think if you pull the wall plate you will find 2 cable ports, some have 3, one goes to the outside cable port, the other would connect to the OTA antenna. If that is what you see, try hooking up to that with the antenna and see if it works, this port would be the amplified port.

At least this is the way it was on my 2006, haven't pulled the one on my Escape.

Something like this.
I think you're right Bob, but the OP doesn't have the Jack Antenna. So, the connection between the inside and outside jack should be direct, no?
Old 08-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #8

Don't really know what just TV/Cable ready, without an antenna, would amount to.
The OP made it sound like there was an amplifier, which to me sounded like same wall plate with built in amp that I have. I could well be wrong.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
True, but coaxial cable for "cable TV' and for TV antennas is the same - 75 ohms characteristic impedance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Although the "RG" nomenclature isn't a standard anymore, I think the cable from the external jack to the internal jack is RG6. So, 75 ohm. If you use similar coax outside, it should work fine. Ours does.
RG6 and RG59 are both 75 ohm, and both are suitable for short runs of TV cable. Just don't use the commonly available RG58, which 50 ohm.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
... The reason I ask is because the two times we have hooked up to "cable" it worked fine. However, when I hooked up to an outside antenna using the TV/Cable Outlet, the amplifier on the antenna would not work and we didn't receive any tv stations...
The system which Bob showed includes an amplifier that incorporates a switch. When the amplifier is turned on, it takes its input from the antenna installed on the trailer, and when it is turned off, it passes the signal directly from the outside cable port (which doesn't need an amplifier). With this system, if you connect an external antenna to the cable port, you would need to leave the amplifier turned off so that it will pass the signal through; if you turn the amplifier on, it will switch to the non-existent rooftop antenna.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Don't really know what just TV/Cable ready, without an antenna, would amount to.
The OP made it sound like there was an amplifier, which to me sounded like same wall plate with built in amp that I have...
It's just a guess, but it seems likely to be the same wall plate with amp, with the antenna cable either not installed or just ending not connected in a cabinet somewhere, waiting for an antenna to be installed by the owner.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Thank you all for the input. I think I should have been more clear about the "antenna amplifier". It is just a small device that came with the portable antenna I purchased. It goes between the interior cable outlet and the TV. I will open the inside and outside outlets to confirm but I really think it's a one cable from one outlet to the other. I did not realize that all coaxial cables were not the same. My guess is that those of you who suggested that might be the problem are probably right. The "Coaxial" cable that came with the antenna does appear different but it has no marking on it. That is likely my problem. Thank you.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
I did not realize that all coaxial cables were not the same. My guess is that those of you who suggested that might be the problem are probably right. The "Coaxial" cable that came with the antenna does appear different but it has no marking on it. That is likely my problem.
I don't think that's likely. Any coaxial cable intended for TV use will be compatible, even if it looks different than others. The difference in appearance is often the thickness - for instance, RG6 is quite a bit thicker (larger in diameter) than RG59, but they work with the same connector types and have the same impedance and work together just fine.

The problem could be as simple as a hidden connection coming loose.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
The OP made it sound like there was an amplifier, which to me sounded like same wall plate with built in amp that I have. I could well be wrong.
Cable ready is just an exterior and interior coax connection with a 120v/12v power supply located next to it. You hook up your tv to the interior coax connection, power up and connect the exterior to a campground cable coax OR an external antenna coax connection. I had this set up on my last Escape and will repeat it again. Works fine with campgrounds cable as well as portable antenna. I prefer the 12v set up to eliminate the inverter need.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #16

Matt, what are you using for an antenna? I take it it's setup outside somewhere, connected to the cable input, thru the wall plate which has the amp directly connected, then via coax to the tv?

I'd try the setup without using the thru the wall cable, just go from the antenna, to the amp, to the TV and see what you get. That'll verify everything but the trailers wiring. You had good cable so the trailers connections should be okay.

Pictures are always a good idea, takes a lot of the guess work out of troubleshooting from a distance.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:40 PM   #17

There is no amplification involved with this set up, strictly cable or over the air.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #18

Except the OP has an auxiliary amp, as opposed to the one built in if you get an antenna I guess.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #19

That could be the issue, try it without and see what happens. Mine worked fine without any amp.