TV / DVD Combo in Canada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
TV / DVD Combo in Canada

Us Canadians cannot easily access US sites for purchases. We are thinking about getting a Supersonic TV/DVD combo that will run on 12V and s available on Amazon Canada. Anyone have any experience with this? We do know the sound isn't hugely wonderful, but have a Bose speaker that we can plug in to improve the sound.

https://www.amazon.ca/SuperSonic-Wid...d%2Bcombo&th=1

Thanks much.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Us Canadians cannot easily access US sites for purchases. We are thinking about getting a Supersonic TV/DVD combo that will run on 12V and s available on Amazon Canada. Anyone have any experience with this? We do know the sound isn't hugely wonderful, but have a Bose speaker that we can plug in to improve the sound.

https://www.amazon.ca/SuperSonic-Wid...d%2Bcombo&th=1

Thanks much.
Unless you're planning on watching DVDs that you already own, I think I'd pass on the TV/DVD combo if you can save a buck or two. With so much entertainment media on line these days (Netflix can now be downloaded and saved, to be played without WiFi), I'd put the money toward an on line media subscription and the necessary "patch cords".
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Unless you're planning on watching DVDs that you already own, I think I'd pass on the TV/DVD combo if you can save a buck or two. With so much entertainment media on line these days (Netflix can now be downloaded and saved, to be played without WiFi), I'd put the money toward an on line media subscription and the necessary "patch cords".
In theory you are right and we already have a Netflix subscription as well as a streaming device. However, in order to access Netflix, you need a decent wifi and the experience of others is that most composites don't have enough bandwidth to satisfy the demand of customers, which has increased more quickly than the available bandwidth service provided by campgrounds. Additionally as we also plan to dry camp for part of the time, there will probably be no wifi. Yes, you can download some Netflix content, but this is only to a smartphone/ipad device and typically the right to watch the downloaded content expires after only a week, which is no good if you want to be away for a month or more. Also the storage available on these devices will probably limit how much you can download. We have a number of old DVDs and the extra cost of the DVD is not that much compared to the cost of upgrading to the technology needed to have greater wifi access to access online content.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
In theory you are right and we already have a Netflix subscription as well as a streaming device. However, in order to access Netflix, you need a decent wifi and the experience of others is that most composites don't have enough bandwidth to satisfy the demand of customers, which has increased more quickly than the available bandwidth service provided by campgrounds. Additionally as we also plan to dry camp for part of the time, there will probably be no wifi. Yes, you can download some Netflix content, but this is only to a smartphone/ipad device and typically the right to watch the downloaded content expires after only a week, which is no good if you want to be away for a month or more. Also the storage available on these devices will probably limit how much you can download. We have a number of old DVDs and the extra cost of the DVD is not that much compared to the cost of upgrading to the technology needed to have greater wifi access to access online content.
I didn't know that the Netflix downloads expire after a week. I seldom camp that far from a town where WiFi is available (to down load a couple movies or several episodes of a series). When dry camping for a month or more, where do you refresh your DVDs?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I didn't know that the Netflix downloads expire after a week. I seldom camp that far from a town where WiFi is available (to down load a couple movies or several episodes of a series). When dry camping for a month or more, where do you refresh your DVDs?
I don't see us dry camping for one month at a time, probably no more than a week. However, if we are away, even if we do get wifi access, you then need enough wifi time to be able to download TVs and Movies. You may not want to sit somewhere for long enough to be able to download programs and I suspect that most campsites don't have wifi robust enough to do that, although for sure we will take our Apple TV with us for sites that may have enough bandwidth. We have lots of old TV series and movies that we can take with us on DVDs for those longer evenings where we can't get TV or web access and want to watch something rather than just reading or playing cards and other games etc.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a 15" ( or maybe 13" ) TV under the bed and a 7" DVD player that I can plug into the TV. Have a collection of DVDs for it. Been driving the lot around for several years and have yet to watch a movie, other than Robin Williams in "RV".
Old 01-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
"the long long trailer" should be next on your entertainment list!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #8

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I don't have experience with the device you're asking about. Several questions though:

1. Can you get something shipped to a friend in WA and zip across the border to get it? Or send it to one of those shipping places, like a UPS store type place?

2. Are you unable to buy things from US places due to living in Canada and they won't even sell to you, even if you ship it to a US address?

That completely sucks, if true!

Hey, if you're coming through Seattle, ship it to me! I get stuff all the time so what's another box or two or three? Now that all the trailer stuff is out of the attic there's more room to wad stuff up there.

Anyway, what I eventually plan to do is take with me a small TV/computer monitor and a region-free DVD player. I have a ton of DVDs from outside this region and have been using region-free players for years. Only way to go, in my mind.

Yeah, I'm camping, but I also like to watch my DVDs, esp of British dramas, of which I'm a huge fan of. Hey, if the bugs are out, I'm not sitting around outside to become a blood donor. Even though I'm a Universal Donor (O neg), that doesn't mean the skeeters get to get some.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I discovered at a campground with marginal service, when I queued up my Netflix movie to stream it ran beautifully. I found out the next morning that Netflix was given priority to the bandwidth and the others in the campground lost their bandwidth. This is in line with what has been reported that ISP's have agreements to give Netflix priority over other activities.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote