U-Haul one way to Chilliwack - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
fantastic idea! a pod! i would use that.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #22

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Dave actually not taking that much with me for personal items, the issue is 5 wheels with tires takes a lot of space. Problem even made worse when you have hard bed cover and 5th wheel hitch in your bed.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. and how much space they'd take. So, yeah, ignore my brilliant suggestions.

Leaving it at the U-haul place sounds the best to me as you need to leave it there anyway once you get your new 5.0TA.

But your stuff, your decision. Good luck! Safe travels.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #23

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCAT3 View Post
I know experiences vary, and the officials at the border have the right to inspect your vehicle and contents when crossing the border.
Well, knock wood, the times I've crossed with stuff either for the trailer or to get it or to get something repaired, it was fine crossing the border. Heck, you could even luck out and get the fellow that wants one for himself and find yourself talking to him about your purchase.

You could get the gal that obviously wanted to get back to her magazine and barely asks you any questions.

Or you could get asked to pull aside and get searched 20 ways to Sunday sort of situation.

One never knows. You just be polite and all that and hope for the best. Some of the guards know about ETI but not all of them, so you have to tell them about it. One even thanked me for purchasing a Canadian made product.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
My wife and I have crossed back and forth to Washington twice a year in our truck and camper for more than twenty years. The only time we were ever inspected went like this:

US customs agent: "Are you carrying any...rice...?
Driver (me) : "Yes, we have some brown rice in the camper."
Wife (who actually packed the food): "No, we don't have any this trip, we ran out"
Customs agent: "Please pull over..."

My wife, of course was correct. A search of our food found no rice, and a half hour or so later, we were on our way, all handled with calm politeness on both sides of the process. One does not want to piss off a customs agent, not ever.

All other crossings in both directions were complete non-events other than line up delays on a few occasions (not usually an issue at Sumas), including one crossing during which we imported some stuff well in excess of our declaration limit.

My wife's advice to me seems to have worked for us: "Just answer the questions dear, nothing less, nothing more"
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
My wife's advice to me seems to have worked for us: "Just answer the questions dear, nothing less, nothing more"
Your wife gives excellent advice. I retired from a Major Biotech company and we had extensive training on how to handle FDA inspections. FDA agents and Border agents are cut from the same cloth in my experience.

Only answer the question asked.
Answer truthfully.
Don't volunteer any extra information.
Be calm and polite.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
One never knows. You just be polite and all that and hope for the best. Some of the guards know about ETI but not all of them, so you have to tell them about it. One even thanked me for purchasing a Canadian made product.
Our gal at customs crossing into Canada at the Thousand Islands on the St. Lawrence River (in the specific RV lane) said that's a different trailer, looks like a boat. So I got to tell her a little about Escape, at least that it was made in BC. Then she asked how much did you purchase and any alcohol to which I replied "yes four bottles of wine (our limit) and one bottle of beer I should have drank last night". She handed back the passports and said "Welcome home"

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:50 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd like to add, don't crack jokes.
"What is the purpose of your visit"?
"To get drunk".
Was a boy's overnight pub crawl, so I was being truthful. He only asked if we had been drinking ( no ) and if we had booze in the vehicle ( no ).
Couldn't resist, heading back through the border the next day.
"Do you have anything to declare".
"Only a hangover".
Old 05-07-2020, 11:01 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Well, I know this is a couple of years late, but I just found this thread while doing a search.

In 2017, I rented a small one axle enclosed U-Haul trailer to haul my stuff to Sumas. Only concern about the U-Haul is there was no way to lock the trailer to the truck. Other than that, not a problem. I arrived in Sumas a couple of days earlier than I planned, and left the trailer at the U-Haul dealer across the street from Bob's Burgers. They did charge $10.00 per day storage while the trailer was on the lot. After picking up the 21, I drove across the street & moved the stuff into the trailer.

While you can't currently go into Canada, in 2017 I packed the Springfield pedestal, Umbra hooks, etc in the truck and had Escape install them during the orientation. Spent the first couple of nights at Silver Lake Park in Maple Falls, WA, about 14 miles from Sumas. If interested, here is a link to the trip journal.