U-Haul one way to Chilliwack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
U-Haul one way to Chilliwack

Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anyone rented small U-haul trailer in U.S. to take stuff to Chilliwack for your orientation?

If so wondering, what your experience was going through customs and your experience in dropping the trailer in Chilliwack? Would it be better to cross back over with U-haul and drop in U.S.?

I ask as besides all my personal items and stuff for the trailer. I will be taking wheels, batteries and other stuff that ETI will be installing. I plan to drop these items off at ETI the day prior to my Orientation and instead of trying to cram everything in my truck. I though it might be easier to tow smallest U-Haul trailer.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
You cant even put a toothbrush in the trailer prior to it being exported to the U.S.

Took a lot of stuff too....maybe rent a small trailer to carry your stuff and then figure out the logistics on the U.S. side.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I think that it's feasible to use the trailer but in a modified way. If there's no restriction on taking it into Canada then that's what I'd do. But, as was just said, you can't put personal stuff in your new trailert until it's delivered to you in Sumas. So I'd drop batteries etc. off at ETI, keep the personal stuff with you and take it to Sumas.

I wouldn't anticipate any border issues, they're pretty familar with folks getting trailers from ETI and dropping the trailer off in WA may be considerably cheaper.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #4

Kent- what kind of wheels? Am going to try stripping the clear coat of my ETI rims as they look terrible now.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I would try to speak with Jon Vermilye who recently towed a U-Haul trailer up there. Although it sounds like he was able to keep it in Sumas and transferred his stuff after the trailer was imported. You might play it different. It is legal and ok with U-Haul to take their trailers into Canada if you need to drop off stuff to be installed and then bring it back to the US the next day to deal with all your personal stuff. (Disclaimer: Never done it...just trying to help.)

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post210522

https://www.uhaul.com/FrequentlyAske...owing-Rentals/

https://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Truc...-98295/015615/
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #6

Just to be clear, The things I would be taking in U-haul are the things ETI has agreed to install at orientation such as batteries and wheels with tires already installed.

All my personal stuff that will go into the trailer would stay in my truck until after crossing.

According to U-haul website you can reserve one way trailer or truck and drop in Canada, but dropping back in U.S. would save a fair about of $$.

I do not think everything plus wheels will fit in truck.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Kent- what kind of wheels? Am going to try stripping the clear coat of my ETI rims as they look terrible now.
Russell, picture of wheel I'm taking with tires already mounted. ETI will be installing at my OR.

15x6 Black Rock Intruder 910B Aluminum Trailer Wheel 5x4.50 Lug, 2830 lb Max Load , Free Shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Black Rock Intruder c910b561235.jpg  
Old 04-09-2018, 10:53 PM   #8

Maybe I should reverse my thinking and put the stuff I'm leaving with ETI into truck and everything else in trailer. Leave trailer in Sumas and after dropping the things ETI will install go back and empty the trailer and cross back over to Chilliwack.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Maybe I should reverse my thinking and put the stuff I'm leaving with ETI into truck and everything else in trailer. Leave trailer in Sumas and after dropping the things ETI will install go back and empty the trailer and cross back over to Chilliwack.
That makes good sense to me... but do you have a secure place to leave an unhitched cargo trailer in Sumas? Maybe Jon has a suggestion from his experience.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:12 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Another issue, unfortunately in the Chilliwack area, is that Uhaul type trailers have been either stolen or broken into and looted. Be very careful where you park it overnight. As a Canadian, I hate to say it, but it might be better parked overnight on the Sumas side.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:28 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Why not just forget the U-Haul altogether, lighten your load and bring stuff that you really need. For myself, I couldn't imagine travelling to ETI in a truck to pick up a new trailer and not having enough room for my stuff. Even after travelling with our 19' for five years, I could completely empty it out into the back of my small SUV and have room to spare.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #12

To each their own, eh? I had so much stuff I had to fly the DW up We had our our mattress for one thing. You dont just want to go out and buy stuff you already have.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:11 PM   #13

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Personally I'd try to cram as much as I really, really needed in the truck and forget the U-Haul. Bozeman isn't *that* far from Chilliwack (as opposed to going back home to Florida, let's say). I'd be very concerned with where I could leave the trailer while you hauled stuff up to ETI for installation. Theft of contents and/or U-Haul trailers happens a lot. Then you have to come back over the border, empty it out and return it somewhere. Then go back the following day for orientation. Then cross over the border again to get your trailer. ETI has to deliver it to you in person over the border so they're not going to wait for you to get your stuff from the U-haul and return it.

Yep, cram that truck full. Stay near the factory the night before and you'll have lots less stress and driving back and forth. It can take an hour or more to cross the border either direction, depending on the day/time you're crossing. And, the border guards might wonder why you're going back and forth so much in such a short time period. And decide you're trying to run something across the border that you shouldn't be. Like Cuban cigars.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21 2018 "Gypsy Cat"
I know experiences vary, and the officials at the border have the right to inspect your vehicle and contents when crossing the border. If crossing at Sumas, is it typical to be asked to open all the totes, etc., in your vehicle to ensure you're taking across what you claim? Are they typically less concerned about taking across personal items you ultimately plan to use in your trailer after it's been imported?

It certainly is an extra complication to store these items somewhere secure on the U.S. side, whether they're in originally in your vehicle or a rental trailer. I believe there would be concern if you were "importing" items for "commercial" use, but the OP is asking about items ultimately designated for personal use.

I did read the recent post of an Escape customer who had the misfortune of being "singled out" at the crossing, for unknown reasons (perhaps a name match to a person of interest, it was speculated) and thoroughly evaluated, even to the point of being told that they had the right to dissemble his vehicle, if they felt it warranted... He was level-headed, polite, and cooperative with them, and was ultimately sent on his way after what apparently was a significant inspection and delay...

As Donna is fond of pointing out, your mileage may vary, but I'd appreciate hearing of people's experiences... Thanks!
MadCAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #15

Thanks everyone and appreciate the input!

What I have found out;

1. I can leave the U-Haul trailer with my stuff in it at the U-Haul dealer in Sumas for $10 daily fee and retrieve my belongs after I take possession of my 5.0TA.

2. I can rent a small storage unit for a month in Lynden. Drop my stuff on Monday and pick the stuff up on Tuesday after I take delivery of my trailer for $50.

3. Was told that Alfies Truck Stop in Blaine WA. has daily lockers that would hold personal items. I did not look into this as it would take me out of my way.

Though leaving the trailer in Sumas sounds like it would be most convenient. I'm leaning towards the storage unit in Lynden WA as it would give me the most peace of mind plus they have 5 Star review rating for what it's worth.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Why not just forget the U-Haul altogether, lighten your load and bring stuff that you really need. For myself, I couldn't imagine travelling to ETI in a truck to pick up a new trailer and not having enough room for my stuff. Even after travelling with our 19' for five years, I could completely empty it out into the back of my small SUV and have room to spare.
Dave actually not taking that much with me for personal items, the issue is 5 wheels with tires takes a lot of space. Problem even made worse when you have hard bed cover and 5th wheel hitch in your bed.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
I have been thinking about this too for when I pick up my new 21. If I take a small u-haul I believe it would be worth $50 to me to get the storage for a day or two. But I will be newly retired and will want to take my time heading home! I will also want things I already own and won’t want to purchase new. Ymmv
Porterville, CA
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 21 2018 "Gypsy Cat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Thanks everyone and appreciate the input!

What I have found out;

1. I can leave the U-Haul trailer with my stuff in it at the U-Haul dealer in Sumas for $10 daily fee and retrieve my belongs after I take possession of my 5.0TA.

2. I can rent a small storage unit for a month in Lynden. Drop my stuff on Monday and pick the stuff up on Tuesday after I take delivery of my trailer for $50.

3. Was told that Alfies Truck Stop in Blaine WA. has daily lockers that would hold personal items. I did not look into this as it would take me out of my way.

Though leaving the trailer in Sumas sounds like it would be most convenient. I'm leaning towards the storage unit in Lynden WA as it would give me the most peace of mind plus they have 5 Star review rating for what it's worth.

If my name was Bob, and I sold handcrafted burgers in Sumas, WA, I’d be placing a appropriately sized storage locker in the corner of my parking lot for paying customers who just happened to be importing trailers, with the understanding that you’d be buying a meal after renting the locker… Maybe both going and returning [emoji847]
MadCAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
What a good idea! He has a large parking lot!
Porterville, CA
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #20

Trailer: None now
And the burgers were good too!
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote