U-shaped dinette decisions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
U-shaped dinette decisions

We have on order a 5.0TA and I am trying to decide between the u-shaped dinette and the standard table set up. At first we decided on the standard set up because we like the size of the table. In the Scamp we have now we use the area on the table against the wall to store books and a radio but with the extra storage in the Escape I'm thinking we won't need to do that. Lately I have been thinking I would like somewhere to sit that I can put up my feet and read. Can you tell me what you like about the U-shaped dinette and what you don't?
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We have the U. When I read I sit along a side bench, not along the back. With the table leg there it's a hassle getting my legs up there so I sit along the side with my knees bent. My wife who's considerably shorter at 5'3" can and sometime does sit along the back. We've also never traveled with more then 2 in the camper, if we did I think the standard table might be nicer, but that's just a guess.

I have yet to find a use for the back bench when the table is up other then storage like you do on yours. I can't get back there to sit, too big I guess.

However, I have used the whole area as a lounge with the table down and some cushions re-positioned, when I'm by myself. My wife doesn't care for it that way, and she has a way of getting what she wants.

I do like the extra storage you get with the U.

If I had it to do again I'd still get the U.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I went back from the "U" to the standard. I feel the under seat access is easier and one can stretch out on at least one side, plus the table is larger.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
If I were doing my 19 again, I wouldn't get the U-shaped dinette. Too small an area to take advantage of it. But, in the 5.0TA and the 21, they're very nice.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
There is also the possibility getting just a half filler board and still have the big table. The only thing is or you have to stretch your legs underneath the table, or remove the table.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
There is also the possibility getting just a half filler board and still have the big table. The only thing is or you have to stretch your legs underneath the table, or remove the table.
That is exactly what I did, and it allows both of us to put our feet up.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #7

What size is the board and did escape make it with a cushion?
Old 07-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
What size is the board and did escape make it with a cushion?
I made the board myself from a Scan teak bar that I'm dismantling. This board was from a pull out self with black laminate applied. I drilled a hole for the table support and notched it for my power cord to the power pedestal. I believe it is 14x28 but each dinette is a little different.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1355.jpg   IMG_1356.jpg   IMG_0776.jpg  
Old 07-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
We have on order a 5.0TA and I am trying to decide between the u-shaped dinette and the standard table set up. At first we decided on the standard set up because we like the size of the table. In the Scamp we have now we use the area on the table against the wall to store books and a radio but with the extra storage in the Escape I'm thinking we won't need to do that. Lately I have been thinking I would like somewhere to sit that I can put up my feet and read. Can you tell me what you like about the U-shaped dinette and what you don't?
We had the bigger table with the 19' and it was quite heavy and unwieldy if you wanted to move it. There is a smaller table with the U on the 21' but we are rid of the table as we leave it home. Prefer having the open space for a change.

Of course, the U has the storage which is where our batteries, electric, and EMS are located which leaves the street side bench empty (until we filled it!).
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:12 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
OMG, I LOVE the u-shaped dinette in our trailer! I could not imagine using the regular style at all. When I want to eat I slap up a TV tray. After that's done I put it away and I can easily lounge on the dinette. I have a super thick and nice big pillow from the Select Comfort folks that I lean against. I have it in the corner and stretch my legs out over the filler board and cushion. Flip up one of the counters at the end of the dinette area and that's where my drink, small clock, snacks and what-not go.

Here's some photos for ya of the set up. I painted the board black. Got 2 of them when we ordered the trailer. Also got cushions for the tops of 'em. They're not attached to each other. I use one when reclining. Two can be used if someone is gonna snooze in that area. I think they're 12" wide, each.

The big pillow in the back is the one from Select Comfort. I love it.

Another photo showing the flip up counter. We got them at both ends of the dinette area. We did not get the table installed. We got the table and base and all that, but they're all stashed in the attic somewhere, never to be used (least by us).

And a photo of the TV tray I use. Got it off Amazon (of course!). As you can see the filler board is still in place. I never take it off unless I need to get to the breaker panel.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04933.jpg   DSC05039.jpg   DSC05375.jpg   DSC05378.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We had the bench seat in our 1st trailer and removed the table so we had more room. This time we got the U shaped with a filler board and no table.

It works much better for us.
Attached Thumbnails
20170223_173652.jpg   20170221_180002.jpg   20170226_143001.jpg  
Old 07-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
This would be the same type of set up you would get in your 5.0TA as the dinette area is the same in that trailer and the 21 we have. If you don't get the table installed, make sure they don't install the base for it either. That way you won't have anything to trip over.

I can't think of anything bad about the u-shape dinette regarding the way I've been using the trailer. I've had a friend in for dinner and we both just put our plates and cups on the flip up counters. Yeah, you have to twist around a slight bit to eat that way (weather wasn't ideal for eating outside), but it works.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
We had the bench seat in our 1st trailer and removed the table so we had more room. This time we got the U shaped with a filler board and no table.

It works much better for us.
Hey, I recognize that TV tray. Same one I have!
Old 07-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We had Sequoia bases and legs installed (that we saw in Olivers, Pat! ---I lost that other thread!) so that we could remove the table legs and not have bases that are cones. Our bases are near enough to flat that we can throw a rug on them and no problem. Don't know if Escape still does that but I would think so.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
In our 5.0ta we have the U-shaped dinette and really like it. The thing that makes the space great is the Lagun table leg/base which swivels and swings almost any direction. I made the practice table put of scraps I had and we love the size and shape (the color works too). Bill

Dang no photo ... sorry.
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice and photos. Based on the fact that my husband likes to sit at the table and look at his laptop, I like to sew if the weather is bad and we like to eat meals at the table we have decided to go with the standard table set up. Taking the suggestions we received and adding a filler board and cushion that will allow us to put up our feet under the table.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #17

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
... we have decided to go with the standard table set up...
Peggy, We weighed several options when ordering and even after receiving our 21', including a mock-up of a narrower non-sliding tabletop to see what we thought of that option (last photo). But we're very happy we stayed with the standard table setup for much the same reasons you noted. That said, we've also done a few things to make the dinette more comfortable for us. One, the back cushion is very vertical sitting flush against the wall, so we put a section of large pool noodle behind the base of the cushion to slope it. Not our original idea, but it works great. Also, the bench seats were just a little too high to be comfortable for my wife (seat edge put pressure on the back of her legs), but a 1" board covered with carpet to put under her feet took care of that. My point is, that once you get your 5.0TA and camp in it a bit, you will be able to tweak it in any number of ways to make it a better personal fit for you. Just get it and get to camping!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09514.jpg   DSC09513.jpg   DSC09511.jpg   DSC09517.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Peggy, We weighed several options when ordering and even after receiving our 21', including a mock-up of a narrower non-sliding tabletop to see what we thought of that option (last photo). But we're very happy we stayed with the standard table setup for much the same reasons you noted. That said, we've also done a few things to make the dinette more comfortable for us. One, the back cushion is very vertical sitting flush against the wall, so we put a section of large pool noodle behind the base of the cushion to slope it. Not our original idea, but it works great. Also, the bench seats were just a little too high to be comfortable for my wife (seat edge put pressure on the back of her legs), but a 1" board covered with carpet to put under her feet took care of that. My point is, that once you get your 5.0TA and camp in it a bit, you will be able to tweak it in any number of ways to make it a better personal fit for you. Just get it and get to camping!
All good ideas, going to pick up some noodles while they are on sale! Thanks for the photos.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
We received our 19 this Spring and have been out several times so far. We decided on the U-shaped dinette and love it. What we did was have ETI make us a 24" round cocktail style table that has one pole and a flush mount receiver on the floor. This gives us lots of space in the dinette area. The flush mount makes it possible not to have any table in that area and with a small rug over the hole there is a flat surface and no trip hazard.
We didn't like the cramped feeling of the standard dinette table and this provides a much more open feel. The round top still slides from side to side. We did get the the standard table top for resale purposes only which we now have stored in the basement.. We also had ETI make two filler boards so we can use the dinette area as a bed if needed. We store the two filler boards under the bed mattress and you cannot even tell they are there when sleeping. So far we love it and have no regrets. We spend almost all our time outside unless the weather is terrible so this is working out perfect.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:41 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
We have the U-shaped dinette and filler board on our 19. Normally it's just the place where my wife hangs out after I go to bed at night. But we just spent 3 pretty rainy days camping in a local state park, so it was the first time that we had spent considerable time in it together. We found it very comfortable for two, and these three days only re-enforced our belief that we made the correct decision.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote