U shaped dinette in 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 21
U shaped dinette in 19

I'm looking for input on the U shaped dinette in a 19 footer. I've searched the old threads, but most seem to be directed toward the 21 or 5.0. I know most of that information is transferable to the 19, but I would like to hear opinions from people who have had experience with the 19.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Any specific info you are looking for? Any specific questions what you want to know?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I have U-dinette in my 19. I purchased the trailer used so I didn't have a choice.

I personally don't like it and would rather have the standard configuration. I feel you lose a lot of bench space with the U shape because the bench along the front wall is pretty useless. My parents have a standard configuration in a 17 and it just feels like it has a lot more space.
chemando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Any specific info you are looking for? Any specific questions what you want to know?
Do you prefer one over the other. If you have one, would you do it again?
Old 05-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemando View Post
I have U-dinette in my 19. I purchased the trailer used so I didn't have a choice.

I personally don't like it and would rather have the standard configuration. I feel you lose a lot of bench space with the U shape because the bench along the front wall is pretty useless. My parents have a standard configuration in a 17 and it just feels like it has a lot more space.
Thank you, that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverson View Post
Do you prefer one over the other. If you have one, would you do it again?
We have the u shape in our 19, and love it!
It all depends on your camping style, and how many people are in your party. The u shape look is great, making it more cozy. But if you are looking for room, go with the standard.
Just like it was said, there is room (especially legs under the table) for two with the u shape, but not much more. You do gain extra storage space with the extra bench. Your table will be smaller, which some don't like either.
We are more outside people, and only use the dinette for rainy days. Sometimes play a game or read a book in the evening.
But if you plan on using it a lot, or are more then two people, I would go with the standard configuration. And have an extra board and cushion made, that will give you a lounge area, when table taken out.
Also think about raising dinette, yes or no. We raised the benches 3", some raise the floor 3", some leave it as it is. With raising you will get a better view out the windows.
Isn't it fun to get this all figured out? I loved getting our build sheet ready.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #7

Here a picture to give you food for thought
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0555a.jpg  
Old 05-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverson View Post
I'm looking for input on the U shaped dinette in a 19 footer. I've searched the old threads, but most seem to be directed toward the 21 or 5.0. I know most of that information is transferable to the 19, but I would like to hear opinions from people who have had experience with the 19.
I'm in the process of completing a build sheet for our new 19. I'm ordering the u-shaped dinette, with the 3" raised floor and asking ETI to build a small, round table to replace the standard one. There are just 2 of us, and we will be spending much of our time outside. I wanted a lounge-like feel to the dinette area, a space in which we could stretch out with lots of pillows and put our feet up, assuming the table would not be in place most of the time. This is what we think will work for us, but if we had children or additional people to seat and/or thought we would be eating our meals inside most of the time, we would probably not go this route.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some of us with the standard dinette have added a shelf underneath the table that fits over the front leg of the table. It gives the table extra support, extra shelf underneath, allows the legs to stretch across, all the while maintaining the stock table size.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19'
We have the standard and really enjoy the big table. We can fit 4 comfortably for a meal or game. I'm not very tall so I can sit with my back against the bathroom wall or the front of the trailer and rest my legs and feet along the bench (with Tally our Corgi snuggled beside me), Don who's taller leans against the front and his feet dangle off the bench a bit but it's still a comfortable place to sit. The only way I see that a u shape would work is to have a much smaller table or no table. One thing we did do and I LOVE is getting the Springfield pedestal. We lived with the standard two legs last year and hated taking it apart to make up into a bed for guests. So easy now, more room for feet and even better, when it's not being used it swivels 90 degrees and pushes against the front of the trailer making the whole aisle area feel much bigger, and easier to access the cabinets above the dinette.
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Some of us with the standard dinette have added a shelf underneath the table that fits over the front leg of the table. It gives the table extra support, extra shelf underneath, allows the legs to stretch across, all the while maintaining the stock table size.
I'm interested in doing this in our 21, but haven't yet.

What I have done is add a cushion for the window end of each bench, since I had plenty of my upholstery fabric. (I just purchased a foam pillow form at JoAnn Fabric.) I think it visually makes the standard dinette a little cozier and I like being able to see the cushions better.
Attached Thumbnails
Esc21_CornerCush03fx.jpg  
Old 05-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #12

I bought 2 of these and they live at the front (in your case rear) of the area and gives great support for some reading or nap time. I'll post a picture of the shelf tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
81+v-KSQNqL._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 05-07-2018, 07:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Here a picture to give you food for thought
Rounded really looks great!!Marry! And it is still a substantial size.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post

What I have done is add a cushion for the window end of each bench, since I had plenty of my upholstery fabric. (I just purchased a foam pillow form at JoAnn Fabric.) I think it visually makes the standard dinette a little cozier and I like being able to see the cushions better.
This is one of the reasons I wanted the U, giving the area a finished look. Yours now looks wonderful, especially with that fabric that is so fun and unique!

I also like the U because it gave us so much more space underneath for electrical, EMS and all of that equipment, so that we still have plenty of storage in the empty passenger side bench for our camping items.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:41 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Mary looks very warm and homey ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Mary looks very warm and homey ! Pat
Thanks, Pat. This kind of "modification" would work in the 19 as well, if the OP wants the full size table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5
I also like the U because it gave us so much more space underneath for electrical, EMS and all of that equipment, so that we still have plenty of storage in the empty passenger side bench for our camping items.
I totally agree, Cathy. Our passenger bench storage is pretty much full with batteries there (so we didn't get an outside hatch for it). On the 19, though, I'm not sure what they put in those storage areas... although I'm thinking you know. Didn't y'all upsize from a 19?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #17

Here are some pictures of the shelf and cushion set up with conventional dinette ....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0024.jpg   IMG_0026.jpg   IMG_0027.jpg   IMG_0028.jpg  
Old 05-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #18

Nice, Jim! I never would've thought of putting the hole for one of the legs to go through - then it would be stable enough for just about anything...
Old 05-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #19

Is there anyone in Iowa, or a state bordering Iowa that has a 19 with a U shaped dinette that I could visit?
Old 05-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks, Pat. This kind of "modification" would work in the 19 as well, if the OP wants the full size table.

I totally agree, Cathy. Our passenger bench storage is pretty much full with batteries there (so we didn't get an outside hatch for it). On the 19, though, I'm not sure what they put in those storage areas... although I'm thinking you know. Didn't y'all upsize from a 19?

Yes, we did upsize from a 19' but our 19' batteries were in the front box. No U in our 19' so we had driver's bench storage for some equipment such as EMS.

Our 21' batteries are at the back corner where they take up part of the U end, not the passenger bench. Our passenger bench was completely empty --- until we filled it mostly with items for using outside. Glad to have the electrical, EMS, batteries and more on the U end.

We added a hatch on the passenger side because we were putting electrical extension and other items that go with the hookups there.