u-shaped dinette measurements on 5TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016
u-shaped dinette measurements on 5TA

We have a 5TA on order for 2016 and we noticed on the 5.0TA, U-shaped dinette configuration, the back side of the bench appears to be a lot narrower than the side seats? And with the cushion narrower, that results in the back window hardware sticking out beyond the cushion and potentially hitting anyone seated there in the back of the head. Has anyone else noticed this?

Is the back cushion actually wide enough to comfortably sit on and what does one do about the window hardware (might be for window shades) sticking out?

When we viewed the trailers last fall, Escape didn't have a u-shaped dinette available for us to see. The Escape sales help person was very nice, but she couldn't give us measurements of what the u-shaped dinette benches or table size would be.
tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The back cushion is definitely more narrow, maybe 6". I have not sat in my U rear, I use it mainly for lounging in the corners. The "U" n the 21 and 5.0 are the same. The window hardware does not seem to impact as most times one is leaning forward not back against the wall while sitting, unless one is "lounging", then cushions are used and the hardware is not a factor. I bought 2 "lounge" type cushions that have small arms, seen on beds that work fine in the corners or against the walls looking rearward.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA Dec 2014
You are very observant. You are correct that the back bench is narrower, and not ideal for comfortable seating. We have the U-shaped dinette in our 5.0 T.A. and would not change our decision. It is a lounge area for us. However, some solutions have been suggested on this forum to remedy this situation, including installing fabric covered "filler boards" (thank you Donna D). I would recommend you look into this while your trailer is under construction. It will be well worth your time as you have identified the one drawback to the U-shaped dinette.
CraigJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Go to post # 230 here to view my set up http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...k-3134-23.html
I just used some scrap 1x3 for the support and the corner cushions fit perfectly.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016
I appreciated the quick responses. We wanted to be able to have someone sit at the table on the back cushion (dinner or play cards) and were concerned it's so narrow that it's not comfortable and their head hits the window hardware.

I've seen the filler boards on several threads, but those don't help for using the table- they're great for creating the lounge area.
tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugger View Post
I appreciated the quick responses. We wanted to be able to have someone sit at the table on the back cushion (dinner or play cards) and were concerned it's so narrow that it's not comfortable and their head hits the window hardware.

I've seen the filler boards on several threads, but those don't help for using the table- they're great for creating the lounge area.

Hello, we have the 5.0 TA with the U shape dinette and spent many a rainy day/evening sitting around the table reading, drinking wine and playing backgammon. I have sat on the rear seat facing the table and have found it fairly comfortable considering it is a bench seat. I have yet to hit my head on the window or any hardware. (6’2” height). The only problem is getting around the table since it only slides right – left. That is why we are planning on installing the Dicor pedestal with four way slider. Should make it a tad easier to get back around the table if needed. (The steps to the loft on the fiver also make a great seat to hang out on). Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the white Schnauzer
Fat bikes are Fun!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Go to post # 230 here to view my set up http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...k-3134-23.html
I just used some scrap 1x3 for the support and the corner cushions fit perfectly.
Thanks for the pictures Jim. Best U-shaped dinette pix so far, I had doubts about including one in our build, no mas!

G