U Shaped Dinette Table Storage? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA Soon!
U Shaped Dinette Table Storage?

Hi All,
We're considering the U shaped dinette but the one thing that keeps lingering in our minds is, what do others do with the table top when using it as a cozy place to hang out and sit? It's always just going to be the 2 of us, so it will never be used as a bed but if we got the U shaped dinette we might us it as couch. However the idea of the table top sitting on it's side propped up against the stove is not ideal, lol.

Thanks!
RoamingDasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingDasch View Post
Hi All,
We're considering the U shaped dinette but the one thing that keeps lingering in our minds is, what do others do with the table top when using it as a cozy place to hang out and sit? It's always just going to be the 2 of us, so it will never be used as a bed but if we got the U shaped dinette we might us it as couch. However the idea of the table top sitting on it's side propped up against the stove is not ideal, lol.

Thanks!
If you know that you will never use the dinette as a bed, one option is to get a smaller table top, it doesn't have to be the exact size to fill in for a bed if you'll never use that. Some people have gone with a smaller round table. Also you can have the table set up to slide front to rear rather than side to side - we did ours that way, normally keep it slid all the way against the back wall, and it makes it very spacious in the front and easy to get in and out of the side benches - almost feels like two areas, a dinette in back and a lounge in front.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:35 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've seen folks how don't get a table at all, some get one smaller that can drop and along with extra cushions be used to make the lounge bigger, some swivel out of the way on a special leg, some fold up up to make it smaller. I think I've seen one that had a removable table, I think it could go outside as needed.

When I'm by myself I use a smaller table that I put down and cover with one set of cushions, doesn't completely cover the table, but close enough for me. Deb prefers the table up.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
We put in a Springfield pedestal had ETI split our table top into two pieces-one being approximately 18” wide and the other being 12” wide. We asked for an extra cushion to be made for each piece ( when not on the dinette, we use these cushions as bolsters on our bed for sitting against the windows) With the 18” tabletop down, our u becomes a cozy little sofa.
Attached Thumbnails
0FDB576B-FCFD-45FB-B445-75E85FC9D097.jpg  
Old 04-28-2019, 06:49 AM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
It's just the two of us.

We decided to have ETI make the rear dinette seat 22" deep, instead of the standard 18" (they have done this for others too). The table was never installed (we have all the parts) and we don't miss it (don't miss stumbling on the post receivers in the floor either) . We had two filler cushions made (one stays home) and that area is a lounging area. A serving tray keeps the condiments, drinking glasses, etc. between us when we eat. Since the SW was cold this winter we ate nearly every breakfast in the camper, but didn't need the table.

We have a portable folding table for when we need one. On our six week maiden voyage we used the portable table inside perhaps 5-6 times, and on the twelve week winter getaway only a couple of times.

When friends come over we just quickly pop out the filler cushion and board and throw them on the bed. Once we had five in the camper and the fifth sat on one of our camping chairs in the isle. We'll be camping with our five year old granddaughter next Saturday night and that will be the first time the dinette will be turned into a couch. The extra filler board to make the dinette into a bed is stored underneath our queen bed.

We're really happy we had the rear bench made 22" deep instead of 18" and a 4" rear cushion instead of a 2" cushion. With the 2" cushion you sit against the window nob or the nobs for the shade, not comfortable. The 4" cushion puts you far enough away so you don't feel them. The extra 4" also gives you a larger usable storage area in back.

Some can't live without a table and some can. We're happy with just the portable folding table for the few times we've wanted one inside. Others wouldn't be, however since we have the parts the table can be installed anytime. We don't think that's going to happen though and are happy with that clear space.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-28-2019, 06:51 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We put the table inside our tow vehicle in the back seat.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA/2022 Ram Hemi
We had ETI make a 24" round table and installed it on the Springfield mount. We still received the original table top which is stored under the bed to use when grand kids are staying the night. The original full size will balance on the smaller table but have to be cautious so as not to push down to hard with the elbows while eating a big plate meal. Although after a 1 year of use we found the 24" is just a bit to small even for just the two of us. I'll be making a 30" round replacement shortly after trying a cardboard cutout for size.
waltkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Another option for the U-shaped dinette and tables

We found that by playing with the cushions it is possible to make a bed at the rear that is as deep as half of the stock Escape table which gives a second option for sleeping, stretching out etc. All we had to do was to fabricate two 3/4 inch thick plywood pieces which taken together were as large as the original table top. These fit nicely into the full height closet if we want them out of the way. Since we also have twin extension tables at the left and right sides of the dinette we didn’t need such a large table top making getting in and out tight and so, by purchasing two of the metal “donuts” that accept the stock table supports and screwing these to a smaller, square table top that we also cut to fit — surfaced with left over Formica from our build — we created a nice compromise and now have more seating and sleeping options. Note that to avoid sagging the frontmost board has bracing underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
9C695A60-2ECC-4B04-9628-0BEB4EE768C7.jpg   B102F9DA-0A92-4BE7-83E9-C616FC910C66.jpg   FD9D1775-328F-43E4-9360-66A93DA8DBEB.jpg   138D5000-8310-4B10-AD3E-9806660AA40B.jpg   CB4F401B-F03C-4166-95BD-94BC4734B1DE.jpg  

Ice Fox is offline   Reply With Quote