Under trailer insulation—critterproof? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Cycle Kamp motorcycle trailer
Under trailer insulation—critterproof?

Build list due on a 19 on May 17th, wondering it is cost effective for those cold fall mornings in the mountains where it can get down to mid-twenties. Also wondering if the insulation may act as a deterrent to squirrels and rodents wanting to climb in your rig during the off season to make a home. Would it help in that sense or would they think it was fun to make a ‘maze’ through it or something nutritious or fun to chew on! May not have a enclosed shed ready by this winter and apparently critters will climb up inside of trailer covers to access the upper trailer! What to do? Thanks in advance.
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We just picked up our 5.0TA and I am really happy with the under trailer foam insulation. It's not the most attractive thing, but they really did a great job, holding tanks are covered with a good thick layer and of course the flat floor area also. The waste water lines from the tanks to the dump valves are also really well insulated with the foam - we've had times with a previous trailer that we were unable to dump because the dump valve or line leading to it froze, this looks like it will help with that.

From what I've heard from others there just aren't many places for mice to get into an Escape. We had problems with mice on our old stick and tin trailer and they really made a mess, had quite a party while it was at a remote storage facility. We got the removable power cord on our Escape because the access point for the regular cord seemed like the one point of vulnerability. There just don't seem to be any vulnerable openings on the Escape for mice to get in.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmantra View Post
Build list due on a 19 on May 17th, wondering it is cost effective for those cold fall mornings in the mountains where it can get down to mid-twenties. Also wondering if the insulation may act as a deterrent to squirrels and rodents wanting to climb in your rig during the off season to make a home. Would it help in that sense or would they think it was fun to make a ‘maze’ through it or something nutritious or fun to chew on! May not have a enclosed shed ready by this winter and apparently critters will climb up inside of trailer covers to access the upper trailer! What to do? Thanks in advance.
Cost effective? would vary with the owner. For me it's saved possible fresh water holding tank damage a couple times. Even with the foam I need to use rugs, the floor still gets cold. I suppose it holds heat and cold better and would block the outside noise some, but I've never done a side by side comparison so that's just a guess. I'm glad I go it.

I store mine outside next to the woods, never even had a bug in it much less a critter. I do nothing special and do put a cover on it. On reflection, I had bees in the A/C last summer.

I do get lots of critters in the sheds.