Upgrade? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Upgrade?

We were on the OBX last weekend and my DW was surfing the ETI website. She started looking over the specs for the 5.0 TA. We had talked about it before and she really likes the tandem axle. But I don't want a bigger truck. She was looking over the options and locked onto the screen room. "This one is a lot bigger than ours!" Me: "But I don't want a bigger truck.''
That stopped the discussion for a while until she found a picture of another Frontier pulling a TA. More discussion. Much more.
We were headed home the next day. When I stopped in Hampton for gas, a young man followed us into the station and asked to look inside. He seemed very interested and gave me his contact info "just in case". (I gave him an ETI card.). DW takes that as a sign that we should really consider the change.
So--would I need a bigger truck? I am very pleased with the performance I am getting with the Frontier + 5.0 combination, and I read somewhere that ETI was designing the TA to be pulled by a larger vehicle.

Any advice?

Dick

Old 10-09-2014, 11:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
We were on the OBX last weekend and my DW was surfing the ETI website. She started looking over the specs for the 5.0 TA. We had talked about it before and she really likes the tandem axle. But I don't want a bigger truck. She was looking over the options and locked onto the screen room. "This one is a lot bigger than ours!" Me: "But I don't want a bigger truck.''
That stopped the discussion for a while until she found a picture of another Frontier pulling a TA. More discussion. Much more.
We were headed home the next day. When I stopped in Hampton for gas, a young man followed us into the station and asked to look inside. He seemed very interested and gave me his contact info "just in case". (I gave him an ETI card.). DW takes that as a sign that we should really consider the change.
So--would I need a bigger truck? I am very pleased with the performance I am getting with the Frontier + 5.0 combination, and I read somewhere that ETI was designing the TA to be pulled by a larger vehicle.

Any advice?

Dick
Hi: captmath... The 5.0TA was designed with leaf spring suspension. Can be set up and towed by all sized trucks. The change in trailers cost us about 1 mpg. Similar performance from the Frontier!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030714.jpg (367.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg P1030670.jpg (277.5 KB, 35 views)

escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

Trailer: CampLite
Alf,

We have a 2013 crew cab short bed Frontier. Would the short bed Fronty work with the 5.0 TA or should a long bed be used? We really like the Fronty, and would buy a long bed, if needed.

What kind of fuel economy are you getting?

We have been looking at "many" different campers this year, really like the looks of the 5.0 TA. Saw a 5.0 in Cody Wyoming last month during a camping trip.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploring/carolina View Post
Alf,

We have a 2013 crew cab short bed Frontier. Would the short bed Fronty work with the 5.0 TA or should a long bed be used? We really like the Fronty, and would buy a long bed, if needed.

What kind of fuel economy are you getting?

We have been looking at "many" different campers this year, really like the looks of the 5.0 TA. Saw a 5.0 in Cody Wyoming last month during a camping trip.
Hi: exploring/carolina... I have a friend/forum member HokieEscape who's long bed fronty got written off parked out side his office in Blacksburg Va. He could only find a short bed as a quick replacement. I recommended he get a 10" pin extender fromRV Supplies, 5th Wheel Hitches and Electrical Plumbing by Tweetys. He got the Pop Up Ind's. clamp on extender and he can now tow his 5.0/ short bed Fronty combo with the tailgate down.
My mpg's are around 15.5-16 US. w/ 5.0TA... depending on the terrain. We usually travel the Interstate's as we always seem to do better there.
We will be staying in Hunting Island St Pk. SC. Mar.31- Apr. 10, if youd like a tour!!! Alf
Old 10-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Have you been able to determine the pin weight on the 5.0TA? Is it higher or lower than the 5.0 Classic?
The pin weight of our 5.0 Classic brings us pretty much to the limits of the carry capacity of the truck as posted on the door frame.
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #6

Trailer: CampLite
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
My mpg's are around 15.5-16 US. w/ 5.0TA... depending on the terrain. We usually travel the Interstate's as we always seem to do better there.
We will be staying in Hunting Island St Pk. SC. Mar.31- Apr. 10, if youd like a tour!!! Alf
That's impressive MPG! Will visit @ Hunting Island SC. Sending PM with additional camp dates/campsite. Looking forward to meeting you and seeing the 5.0 TA!!!!!!

May end up going with a long bed PU and keep the short bed Fronty for other towing duties.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Have you been able to determine the pin weight on the 5.0TA? Is it higher or lower than the 5.0 Classic?
The pin weight of our 5.0 Classic brings us pretty much to the limits of the carry capacity of the truck as posted on the door frame.
Hi: FNLNM... According to the Escape web page the dry pin wt. of the 5.0TA is 600#'s. The 5.0 was 460#'s I think!!!
Our laden 5.0 was heavy due to a 8" thick memo foam matt. Our camping pin wt. was 720#'s with other supplies stored forward. Alf
Old 10-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
While it's not a Frontier, I've got an 8' bed on my F150. Cons, makes the truck that much longer to park and find a suitable site you can fit into, 35' overall. Pros, certainly no worries about the camper hitting the cab, something like 5' of room between them. Also all kinds of room in the bed to take pretty much whatever you want along. I have a trifold Tonneau cover that I need not remove when hooking up.

Don't know what the distance is between the bed hitch and the tailgate for a Frontier is but on the Ford, once I'm hooked up, if I open the tail gate there is only an inch of space. Meaning one has to be careful to be inline with the trailer when hooking up. A pin extender would remedy that but it doesn't bother me enough to look into.

If it helps, given my druthers, I'd opt for something between the 5.5' and the 8', in the area of a 6.5' if one was available. I already had the truck when I got the TA.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Captmath, you need to do the math as someone mentioned. Pin weight, GCWR, GVWR, max 5er weight. Then you will know. People love their 5ers, whichever.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
While it's not a Frontier, I've got an 8' bed on my F150. Cons, makes the truck that much longer to park and find a suitable site you can fit into, 35' overall. .
I also tow a 5.0 with a full size 8' bed pickup. Here is a publication on Trailer Towing Saftey. http://www.slaga.net/RV/How%20to%20Tow-version%202.pdf

The author of this particular publication lists wheel base length of the tow vehicle (longer the better) as the primary of several safety considerations for both trailers and 5th wheels.

GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote