Upgrading casita 17' to Escape 21' - some questions. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Any idea how much propane it uses?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Tolls will be triple that of a single axle.....you will plan your trips avoiding toll roads. My first trip out to Osoyoos cost me close to $70 in tolls, something I avoided on the return trip
Good point... where it applies. It looks like eastern U.S. toll road systems count axles as an indication of vehicle size, so the extra axle carries substantial cost.

The only toll road that I know of in Canada is 407 (around Toronto) and its rate does not depend on the number of trailer axles (or even the length). The toll bridges which I have crossed in Canada (in the Vancouver area) and BC coastal ferries depend on overall vehicle combination length, regardless of the number of axles. Even though the Confederation Bridge charges by axle, a tug with tandem-axle trailer would only be C$7.50 more than the C$53.00 cost of a tug with single-axle trailer. None of those are a cost problem for a tandem-axle trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:01 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Nope. :-)

Somewhere on the casita forums someone once did post time estimates. But I completely forget.

Perhaps the people who sell the conversion kiits ?
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
14- two sets of brakes for stopping power, there are two right?
Yes, there are brakes on both axles. That's required in British Columbia, and the only sane choice anywhere.

That would matter... if the two 10"x2-1.4" brakes were inadequate, which I suppose they might be if you drag them all the way down a mountain. For stopping, the performance limit is trailer tire traction - that isn't helped much by spreading the weight out over more tires, and imperfect (that is, real life) balance between tire loads mean that the tandem will skid one tire before the other one on the same side is braking with maximum effect. 18-wheel big trucks don't stop better than 4-wheel small trucks.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Roughly one-third more by volume than the amount of gasoline which would be required to run the same time at the same load... because that's the ratio of the amount of energy available (by volume) in these two fuels.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
So if I can run 10 hours on a gallon of gas, which I can, it would take 1.3 gallons of propane for the same 10 hours. A 20 lb, 4.7 gallon, propane tank would last around 36 hrs. Interesting, if I had natural gas or a big propane tank at home I'd consider it, thanks.