Upgrading casita 17' to Escape
21' - some questions.
New member here
We bought a Casita 17' new in 2011.
We are a married couple with a child and we enjoy family vacations. 10 day vacations with some boondocking.
The 17' casita is workable but somewhat cramped.
Our tow vehicle is an ACURA MDX with Kurt WDH and a sway bar. Rock solid. The towing capacity is 5,000 lbs and we want to stay with that tug.
The Escape 21' looks as if it would add some nice features for us:
Bigger second bed
Ability to rig up a simple curtain so awake people can not disturb asleep people.
More space to move around. Big plus. Two people can stand up at once.
I have read a bunch of threads here, and have looked at Escape's website. :-)
1) Does an Escape have more storage space than a 17' casita? (No captain chairs in ours)
I would say twice as much.
2) Does the shower in the Escape 21 use a hand operated open / close (as the my casita does) or does it use the one way Hepvo valve?
You twist closed/open the strainer in the bathroom floor
3) On the website for Heritage 21 the photos show the HVAC roof unit in place.
However that is an extra $1,000 I think.
Does the listed height of the heritage 21 (8' 7") INCLUDE the roof HVAC?
4) If not - What is total height including roof hvac?
5) I replaced my Casita's stock Parallax 7345 with a PROGRESSIVE DYNAMICS 4645 Converter, so I could use a sealed Lifeline GPL-27T AGM. (It has been awesome)
What converter does the Escape 21 come with?
6) I know what an equalizer hitch is, but do I want to spend the $650 (!) to get an Anderson Hitch?I believe ETI is going to stop offering Anderson. You can bring a hitch of your choice and ETI will install it.
7) where does the Additional Exterior Hatch (Rear Driver Side) ($150) lead to, and do I want this?
8) is there a good space for a loose microwave? I am hesitant to use up the cabinet space for a permanent microwave that is useless when we are boondocking. We used the one from our Casita. We pushed it all the way back and secured it with a cleat This leaves a space in front about the depth of a toaster. Cabinet has a swing up door.
9) how good is the ground clearance? On our casita I ordered it with the high lift axle and it is great on rough roads.
10) the $700 front exterior storage box looks nice ,but $700 = ouch. Do many people get it? A must have.
11) what do people do for carrying bikes? Any smart way to carry 3 bicycles? (No, not a roof bike track on tug. Too high)1Up works great on the back. But they only recommend using the two bike on the back of an RV. The 1Up is so well constructed I would take a chance on a 3 place but keep an eye on tongue weight.
I see it says "
Bike Rack Ready (2″ Receiver)" but I thought that a bike rack should never be mounted on the back of a trailer as the bouncing / pendulum force was way too strong. (?)
12) foot flush toilet is $60 option. How does the stock toilet flush?Hand lever on the right.
13) I bought a Trailer Valet for my casita but never got around to having an attachment mount welded onto the casita.
I would get a WDH for the escape 21 for sure.
Any chance a mount for my trailer valet could be built on during construction?I think the mount for the Trailer Valet will get in the way of the WDH. Might be possible with some sort of fabbed up weldment/outrigger.
We have a narrow side of the house driveway and a trailer valet would let mr steer and back the Escape 21 into place all by myself.
14) pardon my ignorance, but what are The advantages and disadvantages of dual axle? I know this is a point of debate. ;-)
15) how does the grey tank "holding tank monitor panel" work?
16) I always suck at backing up. I read that a wireless backup camera could be installed during the build. Any specific make and model that is good?
17) any Escape 21 owners in or near Los Angeles? :-)
We would like to take a look.