Upgrading from a 17B to a 19...help me pull the trigger - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #1

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
Upgrading from a 17B to a 19...help me pull the trigger

Hello. So I recently sold my 17B with the intentions of getting a 25ft Airstream. I have done loads of research on the AS and I have gotten some no BS answers to all of my questions from someone I know well who has been selling AS's for over 15 years. I have also looked at the Oliver but I just don't like the floorplan. I don't want to get into any debate as to why the Escape is better or worse than an AS. I really just would like to know if going from a 17B to a 19 Escape is it going to make a difference. The reason we sold the 17B is because we needed a little bit more room but is the 19 enough of a difference? Has anyone moved from a 17 to a 19? I have seen the 19 a couple of times and I am ready to put down a deposit on the 19 but something keeps holding me back. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I'm located in Portsmouth, VA and I hope to have my new 19 delivered here around the 27-28th of this month. We are a significant distance from you but if you'd like to take a look at it once I have it, you're welcome to do so. Safford RV off I95 in Thornburg, VA is on the way here from where you are located, and they may have a 25' AS on site. That would give you a chance to see both in a short period of time. I looked at the Airstreams, particularly the 25'. For me, it came down to not wanting to trade up to a vehicle that could handle the AS. Nice trailer though.

I too considered an Oliver but cost and interior choices just didn't work for me.

John
Old 09-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Only you can make your decision, but we moved from a 17b to 19 and it is a major difference. We love the floor plan of both the 17 and the 19, which are very similar, but the gains on the bed size, bath size and dinette size are worth the price of admission. Also, gaining the dual axle was very important to us.
I hope this doesn't turn into a rehashing of the 19 vs 21 since you've specifically asked about 17 to 19 people, and I'm sure you're aware of that option.
We had our second owner 17b for two years before we ordered our 19 and now having the 19 for about two years we are very pleased we did move to the 19. It is a very noticeable and positive improvement for us and well worth the investment.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #4

@ Ironhorsenva thank you for the offer but I have spend time in both the Escape 19 and the 25AS.

@ Greg A this helps. I'm not interested in the 21 because it doesn't have a front window. Your comments nailed exactly what we are thinking going from the 17B to the 19...ie dual axle, queen bed, larger dinette, larger bathroom.

About 10 minutes after I posted my original post I went ahead and put a deposit down on a 19 Escape. It felt good after I did it with no more hesitation.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Congratulations!!! I didn't want to comment as we only had and have a 19. But the reasons mentioned before are exactly why we ended up with a 19.
You are gonna love it!!
Old 09-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I think you will be well pleased with moving to the 19. We initially put a deposit down on a 17B, before we actually had a chance to be inside one. We had only been inside a 19 prior to ordering. About a month before our build started, I got a chance to get inside a 17B, and quickly realized that we would not be happy with that, and the 19 was much more to our liking. The 19 just feels so much bigger, and the permanent, queen bed is great.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrisdr View Post
@ Ironhorsenva thank you for the offer but I have spend time in both the Escape 19 and the 25AS.

@ Greg A this helps. I'm not interested in the 21 because it doesn't have a front window. Your comments nailed exactly what we are thinking going from the 17B to the 19...ie dual axle, queen bed, larger dinette, larger bathroom.

About 10 minutes after I posted my original post I went ahead and put a deposit down on a 19 Escape. It felt good after I did it with no more hesitation.
It is my understanding that ETI can put a front window on a 21'

and if you want larger.... the 4" (i seem to recall 4") wider aisle - compared to a 19' makes a nice difference in how a 21' feels big.

also the longer kitchen counter is very nice, we find.

just something to consider.

I only say this as you were looking at a 25' "else"

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #8

@Marry and @GregandTeresa THANKS! I'm ready to pick it up now...but I can't get out there until July though.

@Losangeles don't tell me that No we are set on the 19 and are comfortable with our decision.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
we are set on the 19 and are comfortable with our decision.
And, so you should be. We often camp with my buddy and his wife and his 19'.
We always end up in his trailer playing cards or eating dinner. If I didn't have to get a new tow vehicle as well, I would move to the 19'.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Congratulations! You will enjoy the trailer immensely.
Now the real fun begins, the build sheet....
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #11

Quote:

No we are set on the 19 and are comfortable with our decision.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I can't speak for the change from a 17 to a 19, but we went from a 17B to a 21 and the difference in space seems like far more than 4 feet. We still have some mostly empty cabinets and love the layout.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Has anyone moved from a 17 to a 19?.
We almost did. Went out to ETI to put down our deposit for the 17. After the Scamp 13 we figured that we'd be swimming in space. There was a 19 demo unit sitting next to the 17 so we said "What the heck, might as well look inside". And that was our very brief association with the 17. Don't regret getting the 19 over the 17, it's the perfect trailer for our use.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #14

Quote:

@Losangeles don't tell me that No we are set on the 19 and are comfortable with our decision.
well... i wouldnt want you to have incorrect info at this stage of the game (ie "cant get front window on a 21)

I would, however, encourage you to see the inside of both the 21' and also the 19'

the weight and cost are remarkably similar. FWIIW

and we strongly prefer to have the dinette in the rear, (as it is on the 21') as most campsites have the view out the rear, and the road at the front

but that is just us.... just presenting considerations

oh and you can change your mind, BTW. ETI is remarkably helpful in that regard... as long as you are before it enters production. AFAIK.

John
Old 09-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
In a perfect world we would have a 19 as there are a few more inches of space in the bed, bathroom (and of course, the dinette). The one space which annoys me the most in the 17 is the lack of space right under the sink. The sink plumbing is right in the way--much better in the 19 although I don't like that pole which descends just to the left of the sink. We're not candidates for the 19 is they don't increase the furnace size and we use ours in the winter.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I would, however, encourage you to see the inside of both the 21' and also the 19'

John
For some of us that's the reason we have the 19. The only way I'd go to a 21 is if I could get it with the 19 floor plan. Love the queen bed tucked away in the rear etc.

Ron
Old 09-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
For some of us that's the reason we have the 19. The only way I'd go to a 21 is if I could get it with the 19 floor plan. Love the queen bed tucked away in the rear etc.

Ron
Now I totally agree on that one!!
Imaging the size of closet we could have, or instead of a queen a king size, maybe a build in bar like Jim's
Old 09-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
It is sooooo cool that ETI has all these models.

we much prefer having the dinette in the rear.

great to have these options. sooo happy.

cheers

john
Old 09-18-2017, 06:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Now I totally agree on that one!!
Imaging the size of closet we could have, or instead of a queen a king size, maybe a build in bar like Jim's
Well I don't know about all of that. If I had a "Stretch 19" model I'd be more than happy to have the extra counter space and more closet and drawers. Don't know how folks get along without the closet.

As for the King bed, after the 41" "double" in the Scamp the Queen is heaven.

As for the bar , not so much.

Ron
Old 09-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We had an old 16 foot and considered the 17 and then saw Dave's 19. Went from a potato (Scamp) to a sweet potato. Queen size bed sold it.