Utilizing Storage Space in a 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Utilizing Storage Space in a 19'

Now that our final Build Sheet has been submitted, we are shifting our focus to how we'll arrange items in the new 19 when we pick it up in October. I'm sure we'll want our kitchen stuff put in the cabinets/drawers around the sink and stove. Will there be room for groceries there too? What do others store in the overhead cabinets above the dinette? More kitchen stuff? And how about the overheads in the bed area? Lots of room there, but I'm not sure what should go there. I'm thinking (mostly because that's how we do it in our Scamp) the under-bed area will be used for our clothes. And we will utilize the wardrobe for hanging clothing. Shoes have always been a problem. Any suggestions? How should we use the storage under the dinette bench? Kitchen appliances? Outside stuff? So many things to ponder as we wait for our trailer but I know we can't know for sure how it should be loaded until we've lived in it for awhile. Also, looking forward to using the storage box and outside hatch access for all the stuff that's currently being loaded/unloaded in the back of our SUV every time we go camping.
So... who's got suggestions and/or pictures of their loaded trailer they'd like to share?

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
Now that our final Build Sheet has been submitted, we are shifting our focus to how we'll arrange items in the new 19 when we pick it up in October.
Congratulations on your new arrival! It is taking me a while to figure out where to put things but I think I found our nitch. I love this topic and glad you asked! Here is how we use our storage:

Under Bed (holds a lot):
Optional bunk, shade/mosquito tent, laundry bags waiting to be filled, camp stove, hoses, electrical cord all secured in IKEA storage bags. DIMPA Storage bag - IKEA and KNALLA Bag - IKEA
I have 2 small laundry baskets that keep our packaged food and snacks, the third basket is in the rear for non-daily extra supplies like hand towels, paper products including toilet paper. I went with smaller baskets because using 2 larger totes became too heavy with canned goods.

Under refrigerator: beverages and drinkable water.
Above the fridge: Softer items so they don't fall on me if they move around during our travels. (Ask me how I came to this conclusion )

In the kitchen, yes, all kitchen products including cups, dishes, pots and pants, coffee maker supplies (electric and Melita drip), collapsible bowels, etc. We hardly eat out and I find I don't need a lot of cookware.

Someone gave us the idea to purchase a Rubbermaid knife and fork utensil holder that rests perfectly on top of the draw, so we have extra room below that for other items.

I use a small rectangle wastebasket by the door and we empty it a lot because it is small, but it is out of the way and very functional.

Above the bed we keep our clothing usually in packing cubes, small TV,
traveling, movies (We only take TV when traveling. When we camp, it stays home.)

We had RV Widget Works provide shoe storage under the optional door in the dinette seating. (our photo is on this page) Without this, shoes traveled to the front and was a pain to access. We also keep flashlights, binoculars, and shower shoes, raingear. Photo-Gallery I am so glad we ordered this. It was worth the money and high shipping fees.

The wardrobe is small and if we have heavy jackets can take up lot of room. Under the wardrobe we opted for the drawer and we keep our toiletries and first aid supplies there.

We have three umbra hooks https://www.amazon.com/Umbra-5-Hook-...a+hook+natural . One right of the bathroom door, one in the dinette area and the last was cut into two and placed on the walls over the bed. Out of everything we have, I love this and am thrilled others suggested it!

Above the dinette we opted not to get the extra storage in the front and love the shelf to store fishing poles, tissue, satellite radio components (we didn’t get the radio/cd player). In the cabinets we keep travel books, tablecloths.

My husband uses the front storage box for all the tools, outdoor rug, chocks, etc.

And then we have the back of the pickup for BBQ, bikes, water jugs, and we have a spider net to hold everything in place Of course, our kayaks go on top of that using our Thule rack.

We attached Command hooks to the outside of the trailer and we hang wet towels and various other items from time to time.

I'm sure I missed something, but then again, this is a work in progress. You will find your way and that is half the fun.

Enjoy your new trailer!

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Our wardrobe clothes got changed into pantry. We hardly bring any hanging outfits.
The access of the under the bed storage by lifting up the bed is not very convenient. The front access doors are okay, but without drawers it will be hard to find your stuff. We mostly store cartons of cans, extra toilet paper, extra paper towel, toilet chemical, cleaning supplies, barbecue utensils, laundry basket there.
My clothes, games, books, extra blankets, toiletries, etc. go in the upper cabinets in the bed area. All in cubbies.
My hubby's stuff goes in the upper cabinets of the dinette. (We closed in the front cabinet as well)
Shoes go in the passenger side dinette, right where you come in. (Extra access door)
Behind the shoes we put storage containers filled with soda and water bottles.
The extra space is left for stuff we hardly need due to more difficult access. (Like 12v air pump etc.)
Kitchen top: towels, glasses, coffee cups, spices, ... the lighter stuff
Bottom kitchen: plates, pots and pans, dishwasher soap, etc.
For a space saver we use a plate divider, which will allow you to store your plates vertical.
Outside hatch under bed: mat, small outside table, stove, little tools, etc.
Storage box: blocks, ax, dish pan, table covers, cables and propane hose, etc.
Car: barbecue, table, chairs.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:53 PM   #4

Lorna, thanks for your thorough reply! The shoe holder idea sounds very intriguing to me! How many pairs of shoes does it hold? And the Umbra hooks... thought about them but left them off our Build Sheet. Did you install them yourselves or did ETI? Sounds like you've got your trailer organized very nicely!

Old 08-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #5

Marry, thanks for getting back to me. I agree that the under bed storage could be inconvenient, but I've seen mods where drawerson sliders are installed behind the front door openings for easier access. While we're not great do-it-yourselfers, we hope to fashion something similar, perhaps to keep our folded clothes in. And we'll squeeze as much into the wardrobe closet as we can. At least that's what I foresee at this point, but I'm open to new ways if they turn out to work better for me. Interesting that you use the space under the dinette bench for shoes like Lorna does!

Old 08-04-2017, 10:49 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Lorna, thanks for your thorough reply! The shoe holder idea sounds very intriguing to me! How many pairs of shoes does it hold?
The drawers are built to your specified dimensions. You install the dividers (VHB tape attached) so it'll hold as many shoes as you have room for...

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:57 PM   #7
P&L

Quote:
Lorna, thanks for your thorough reply! The shoe holder idea sounds very intriguing to me! How many pairs of shoes does it hold? And the Umbra hooks... thought about them but left them off our Build Sheet. Did you install them yourselves or did ETI? Sounds like you've got your trailer organized very nicely!
Technically, the shoe holder could hold 12 pairs of shoes of varying sizes. Boots take up more room, plus I wear a large women's shoe. We are leaving tomorrow morning for a camping trip and my husband are each taking a pair of hiking shoes, shower flip flops, sandals in addition to the pair we are wearing. Again, we carry a couple of binoculars, umbrella, tightly packed rain suit, several flashlights and then some. We made the mistake of measuring the space under the seating, but didn't account for it fitting through the optional door because the kitchen counter is in the way and of course, the bin doesn't bend. We had to take off the fire extinguisher and it barely slipped in! Whew! We got lucky.

As far as the umbra hooks, we happened to have them shipped to Escape by way of Amazon. They installed all of them while we were there; it only took a couple of minutes. Other folks take the umbras over the border, or install them at home. We did tell Escape we wanted the umbra, so I'm not sure if they added extra support in the walls, or it was already there.

Lorna
Old 08-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
You can fit 2 56 quart Sterilite wheeled boxes under the bed. I took off the front wheels and when you lift the front, they slide forward. The lids are split in the middle - like a hinge. Place the most used items in the right box as you need to take one box out to get to the back of the second. Place rolled paper towels in the space between cabinet doors and floor below bed to keep boxes out of aisle when moving.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #9

Kevin, I'm trying to picture your Sterilite containers... does one fit behind each of the two doors, side by side? It almost sounds like you're telling me one sits BEHIND the other behind the other because you say I'd have to pull one out to reach the second one. The wheels sure sound like a good idea. What do you put in these containers?

Old 08-05-2017, 10:29 AM   #10

As for Umbra hooks, we're kinda fearful about drilling holes in a new camper to install them. Do we need to be fearful or would we be fine doing it ourselves as long as we drilled into the wood parts of the camper interior. I'm specifically thinking of the bathroom door and it's wall beside the driver side bench. How big should the screws be that we'd use?

Old 08-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #11
P&L

Others may chine in on this as we, too, are fearful of drilling holes. The hooks are on 3 sides of the bathroom wall, and the last one is adjacent to the kitchen over the bed. Personally, I would contact Escape and let them know you want to bring the umbra hooks up and if they would install them. The gal that did our orientation did it in a couple of minutes without worry.

L-
Old 08-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Escape installed our Umbra Hooks on the day of pickup. Those are the only extra holes in the cabinetry we have, except for the Kamenstein paper towel holder.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:28 PM   #13

Well, we've already submitted our final Build Sheet and we didn't include the Umbra Hooks on it, but it sounds like you're saying that you think ETI would install them at Orientation if we brought them with us and asked. That'd be wonderful!

Old 08-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Kevin, I'm trying to picture your Sterilite containers... does one fit behind each of the two doors, side by side? It almost sounds like you're telling me one sits BEHIND the other behind the other because you say I'd have to pull one out to reach the second one. The wheels sure sound like a good idea. What do you put in these containers?
They sit next to each other, but together they are wider than the 2 doors. In the right one I store cooking items and lesser used kitchen items. In the left one are spares: 2nd hose, extra electrical wire (30 amp), spare water filter, etc. If you look thru the 2 doors, you'll see the box on right and half the left box.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #15

Okay, I got it now. Side by side, but you must remove one before you can get the other one out.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:51 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Well, we've already submitted our final Build Sheet and we didn't include the Umbra Hooks on it, but it sounds like you're saying that you think ETI would install them at Orientation if we brought them with us and asked. That'd be wonderful!
Yes, they will install the Umbra hooks on your delivery day. But, I would call and ask them beforehand rather than just showing up with them. This way, Escape can document what's needed during your pickup. In our case they installed the hooks and also the Oxygenics RV Spa Showerhead on pickup day.