Vancouver - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Vancouver

When we finally pick our trailer up in August, we would like to spend a day touring Vancouver. What are the sites we should see? We would also like some fresh seafood for lunch so would like some recommendations for a local seafood joint. David and Cathy
Old 05-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Vancouver

A day isn't much.

Museum of Anthropology for northwest native art and culture ( its at University of BC ). Capilano Suspension bridge in North Vancouver for nature in a commercial setting ( with some native culture thrown in ). Van Dusen gardens. Yaletown Brew Pub. I'm sure they all have web sites if you want to check them out.

baglo
Old 05-26-2011, 12:52 AM   #3

A day isn't much.

Trailer in the city is inconvenient. Consider visiting Vancouver before collecting the trailer. Downtown to Chilliwack is less than two hours except at peak hours.

There are probably more than 100 good fish restaurants. If your budget is up to it, you might like Joe Fortes. If you have adventurous taste, there are excellent Asian seafood restaurants of many sorts.

Granville Island has a large public market, a broad range of eateries and interesting shopping. The Sandbar restaurant on Granville Island has good seafood and an okay view.

If early August, you might be visiting during the fireworks festival.

If your budget is limited, drive up Cypress Mountain for an excellent view of the city. If you have a bit more money, ride up the Grouse Mountain gondola for an even better view. The gondola is right near the suspension bridge Glenn mentions.

A ride on the Seabus (part of the transit system) is cheap and fun (except at rush hour). Aquabus Ferries are small, semi-enclosed, and fun.

I could go on. What do you like, and what is your budget?

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidww
When we finally pick our trailer up in August, we would like to spend a day touring Vancouver...

Seeing Vancouver in a day is like touring New York City in two... You can say that you've been there but that's about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew
A day isn't much.

Trailer in the city is inconvenient. Consider visiting Vancouver before collecting the trailer. Downtown to Chilliwack is less than two hours except at peak hours.
Vancouver, like any other major city in the world, has parking issues. Finding a parking spot for a SmartCar is often difficult: manuevering and parking a 40ft + RV rig will tax your nerves, marriage, and vehicle insurance premiums.

Take Ron's advice and stay a while and then pick up the trailer - or better yet, pick it up and stay in Ron's driveway

You could stay at our place but I'm 6 hours drive north of Vancouver.

G
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #5

An easy way to see Vancouver is to buy a transit day pass - available at all Skytrain terminals but not on the buses. I think they're $9.00 per person. Mac's convenience stores also sells them. You could just park out in Surrey near a station and then come in to Vancouver on the Skytrain. The day pass allows you access to all buses, including the Sea bus, and Skytrain. If you have a computer handy you can plan your routes from the Translink web site. Don't forget Stanley Park - there's a bus takes you there and then there is a shuttle costing a small fee that will take you all around the park.
ellen smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #6

You could stay in my driveway if you wanted, but I am not conveniently located. Better than 100 Mile or Terrace, but certainly not on the way home to Wisconsin. It would add an hour to your return trip. I am a short walk from the western end of the land portion of the boundary between Canada and your lower 48.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote