Verizon calling while in Canada - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Charlie & Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sunapee, New Hampshire
Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 F250 Crewcab
Posts: 309
Verizon calling while in Canada

For anyone from the US traveling up to Osoyoos or anywhere in Canada, who uses Verizon, I just found out that they have an addition to your "Everything" plan for $2 a day you can use your existing minutes and data and not have additional charges. But you DO HAVE TO CALL VERIZON TO ADD IT TO YOUR PLAN. You only get charged the $2 for the day if you use it that day. For anyone who needs to Keep in contact with folks at home this is a great benefit!
Hope this helps some folks.
__________________

Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
For anyone from the US traveling up to Osoyoos or anywhere in Canada, who uses Verizon, I just found out that they have an addition to your "Everything" plan for $2 a day you can use your existing minutes and data and not have additional charges. But you DO HAVE TO CALL VERIZON TO ADD IT TO YOUR PLAN. You only get charged the $2 for the day if you use it that day. For anyone who needs to Keep in contact with folks at home this is a great benefit!
Hope this helps some folks.
Just a quick addition - The $2.00 per day option CANNOT be added to a converted Millenicom account. Since those accounts are a grandfathered 20GB for $100.00 per month, you would have to give them up for the Canadian coverage.
__________________

__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
techfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Longview, WA, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Posts: 858
Also, Verizon coverage is spotty in Ossoyoos. We found the best reception at the south end of the lake just past the liquor store. We did not have coverage in Nk'Mip.
__________________
Tim and Julie
2013 Escape 15B
2014 Nissan Frontier, Previous 2012 Santa Fe
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Charlie & Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sunapee, New Hampshire
Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 F250 Crewcab
Posts: 309
Verizon and spotty coverage

Thanks for the heads up on the spotty coverage. Good to know. But it beats having to drive over the border to call my elderly parent daily.
Jon - I was referring only to the "Everything" Plan not anything that was grandfathered in. But all good info for anyone who is looking for coverage while in Canada!
Thanks!
Lucy
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mike Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Rosa County, Florida
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Just a quick addition - The $2.00 per day option CANNOT be added to a converted Millenicom account. Since those accounts are a grandfathered 20GB for $100.00 per month, you would have to give them up for the Canadian coverage.
Jon (or anyone), do you happen to know of a plan that would allow us to use our Verizon hotspots in Canada? The Novatel hotspot I use in my Verizon plan has a replaceable SIM card, so I'm wondering.
__________________
Mike Lewis
She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie-- Propane.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:33 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
techfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Longview, WA, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Posts: 858
One more vote for the add on plan. Last year we just added the $2 per day and kept our existing voice, text and data. Seems like a simple way to go. If you don't use a day no charge. They also have a one month plan. Very simple for the convenience. Call them or see their website.
__________________
Tim and Julie
2013 Escape 15B
2014 Nissan Frontier, Previous 2012 Santa Fe
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Jon (or anyone), do you happen to know of a plan that would allow us to use our Verizon hotspots in Canada? The Novatel hotspot I use in my Verizon plan has a replaceable SIM card, so I'm wondering.
I have never been in Canada long enough to look for a replacement SIM for my Jetpack. I've been told it can be done, however data is still fairly expensive in Canada, and in most of the places I've been I've either still had US coverage or good WiFi available.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Signal Mountain (Chattanooga), Tennessee
Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Posts: 313
We were told you can dial 611 from anywhere in the world that had service to reach Verizon and add these $2 or other plans. Can't verify that since we added the $2 provision before leaving.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:34 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Charlie & Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sunapee, New Hampshire
Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 F250 Crewcab
Posts: 309
Osoyoos Rally

We had fine coverage while at the rally and in Osoyoos. 2 or 3 bars and able to connect whenever necessary.
Had a GREAT TIME!!
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:17 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
We had fine coverage while at the rally and in Osoyoos. 2 or 3 bars and able to connect whenever necessary.

Had a GREAT TIME!!

We had the same Charlie. Good coverage. Was great meeting you guys too!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.