Want a trailer but - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Re: Want a trailer but

Cathy, we really enjoyed meeting you both and showing you Blue. I think that you will find that almost everything is easier than you imagine when first contemplating it all. Nothing really entails any real need of physical strength. Confidence comes with practice and we all started out sometime as newbies to the whole towing "thing". As others have said Reace and Tammy are so amazingly helpful with everything. Also as others have said, a wide open parking lot can do wonders for learning how to maneuver. I still consider myself barely competent at backing into any tight spaces, but I just go very slowly with Mary giving me directions.

The WDH doesn't really take any strength, as Reace will show you, you can use the front jack to take up most of the weigh so that it installs quite remarkably easily. Mary does ours often as I get other things ready. I really really encourage everyone to use one for safety. A friend who was following us one time with his popup commented on how the tow and Escape moved together like one vehicle rather than a pickup towing a trailer. And that is how it feels driving it too.

This place is so full of amazingly helpful people that it is like an extra bonus that comes with Escapes. If you ever want to come again and look at anything as you contemplate, just give us a call or email.

Eric

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:28 AM   #12

Pam, I will keep the beautiful vistas in mind. Camping, especially in a trailer, seems to be a whole other world and I wish we had gotten into it much much sooner.
Lists----I have a list for everything. I used to have pieces of paper all over the place. Now we have IPads and I can bring up any list under Notes without being on Wifi. I have a list of trailer options, a list of camping tips from people on this forum and a bunch of other lists just for camping.
You seem to be doing very well with all of these things.

Paul, the 4Runners come prepared to tow with no package needed now. I am sure you know that there is no longer a V8. The present capacity is 5000 lbs. I wonder how much more you have with your V8. It is good to know that you can tow without a WDH. I am one of those people, fortunately or unfortunately, who has to be overprepared to do anything so I will want one. I don't know about the sway bar yet.

I will keep your tips in my tip list! Thank you. It is all very reassuring.
Cathy

Old 09-15-2011, 02:57 AM   #13

Jeff, you certainly did jump in feet first! Yes, I am looking forward to laughing off these concerns and no longer being green.

Dave and Hokie, I will probably want TWO WDHs! Don't know about sway bars yet though. Rease tells people to have the WDH but not the sway bar and Casita tells people to have the sway bar and not the WDH. Some people have both. Or maybe it depends on your vehicle and which trailer.

Hi, Eric! Okay, make that THREE WDHs! I wonder where you have been in Blue lately. Now I am always thinking, did Eric have this on his trailer? Did Eric have that? My options list is very long.

Cathy
Old 09-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #14

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Cathy, go with whatever Reace says to use. He knows a lot more about trailers than the folks at a Texas outfit
Old 09-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #15

Don't worry, Laura or Rick, I would do it the way Reace says. I just thought it was interesting that Casita says the opposite and I wonder what that's about.
Cathy
Old 09-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy, Midwest U.S.
Don't worry, Laura or Rick, I would do it the way Reace says. I just thought it was interesting that Casita says the opposite and I wonder what that's about.
Cathy
It may be that Casitas are a bit more prone to sway? I know that our Scamp, while not bad about sway, was more prone to it than Blue is. It think it may have something to do with the axle on Escapes being further to the rear of the trailer and therefore having more inherent resistance to sway? I am not enough of a trailer expert to know for sure. With the axle further back, tongue weight is more likely to be higher. I think I have been told that a bit too much tongue weight is safer than too little.

Eric

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy, Midwest U.S.
Cathy
I think the only difference between the two companies is Casita says sway bar, Escape says not necessary. Both recommend the WDH where applicable (light truck or tow). The sway bar is a small, low-maintenance addition to the WDH unit. I don't know if the combination of the bar and the WDH made my blow-out un-dramatic, or not. Whatever it was, I was glad to have it.

Dave
Old 09-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #18

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Cathy, we used to owned a 17' Casita. When we picked up the Casita the rep said that we would fine without a WDH. He said that even before the Casita was hooked up to our TV. How did he know? ESP?? Never really felt good about the setup.

When we picked up our beloved Escape, Reace spent considerable time looking and measuring the TV with and without the Escape being attached. He said I need a WDH. Now I have piece of mind knowing that an expert gave correct advice.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #19

When we took delivery of our 19ft I brought our WDH along. I asked Reace to help me install it and he said it is not needed and put it back in the truck. We pull with a 2007 Toyota Tundra.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #20

Eric, I am glad you mentioned that you had a Scamp as I was thinking you had a Casita and that you would know all about this.
There are apparently quite a few variables to consider on the hitch including: 1. tow vehicle wheel base 2. trailer length 3. trailer weight 4. whether the tow vehicle is a truck or has a truck chassis 5. As you mention, perhaps the placement of the axle 6. whether there is a single or dual axle

I gather that the WDH is added safety. So perhaps while most everyone can do just fine without it, somebody somewhere cannot. I think it might come down to whether or not you want to take the chance that you are not the somebody somewhere. Since I am a safety nut, I'll take all of the safety options I can get. Then again, maybe there are actually vehicles and trailers where the WDH would not give a bit more safety value. If so, I guess I would want to know when that is and why.

I have it now. I figure with all of those variables, one must assign numbers to each one, then add them up, then divide by 2.1416. If the result is greater than 10, you need a WDH!

Hippo, when did you pick up your 19'?
Cathy