Warranty issue. Is it really 2 years? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17ft
Warranty issue. Is it really 2 years?

Hi, need some feedback on the "Two year bumper to bumper warranty".
Got my Escape on 24th Nov. 2015. When we left on our first outing of 2017 at start of June, it became apparent the battery was dead. On return to Chilliwack (yup, we live 9km from the factory), I took the unit in and expected to have the battery replaced as the Users manual says, " two years bumper to bumper warranty". Escape is saying, "No". The battery is off warranty and they will sell me a new one for $131..... Am I being unreasonable??
Thanks in advance...
WWHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Yes, you are being unreasonable.
I don't recall ever seeing "bumper to bumper" described in the manual. The trailer only has a rear bumper.
In any event, the trailer itself has a two year warranty. The components ( furnace, fridge, etc ) are covered by the individual manufacturer's warranty. And, a battery, if covered, would not be a full-replacement warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
warranty 1.jpg   warranty 2.jpg  
Old 07-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Personally I would not expect a battery that sat for that amount of time without use to be covered by a warranty from ETI. Did you try a trickle charge before you went back in?
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Did you charge the battery over winter? They have to be maintained.

Was the battery working fine when you picked up?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Try the same approach with an automobile dealer and see how far you can get them to replace a battery in your 2 year old automobile. Pro rated you used at least 90% of your warranty. Try charging it. Also welcome to the forum as I see you have only posted twice.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
If the unit was new and ETI put in a defective battery, I'd be calling them despite anything written on any document. But 2 years old, don't think you have a leg to stand on. I'm a believer that a company, car or RV, should stand behind what they use in their units, but a 2 year old battery, I would not expect it. Too many variables why a battery would be not-recoverable.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWHM View Post
the Users manual says, " two years bumper to bumper warranty". Escape is saying, "No". The battery is off warranty and they will sell me a new one for $131..... Am I being unreasonable??
Thanks in advance...
I've not seen that phrase in my manual - perhaps it's new.

My two cents is, a trailer is much like a house. When you build a house, the builder will warrant THEIR materials and workmanship for a set period. But, that warranty doesn't cover things the builder only installed and did not manufacture - like the water heater, the stove, the air conditioning, etc. Those components have their own warranty from THEIR manufacturer. Why would you expect a house builder to warrant a water heater or a furnace and not the company that made it? There's not much difference in this case.

If your battery is relatively new, check with the manufacturer. It will probably be under warranty, or at least a pro-rated one.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I've not seen that phrase in my manual - perhaps it's new.

My two cents is, a trailer is much like a house. When you build a house, the builder will warrant THEIR materials and workmanship for a set period. But, that warranty doesn't cover things the builder only installed and did not manufacture - like the water heater, the stove, the air conditioning, etc. Those components have their own warranty from THEIR manufacturer. Why would you expect a house builder to warrant a water heater or a furnace and not the company that made it? There's not much difference in this case.

If your battery is relatively new, check with the manufacturer. It will probably be under warranty, or at least a pro-rated one.
We purchase new home 2 years ago. First 3 months, dishwasher crapped out and heat pump not working properly. Builder took care of it all.
Think when brand new, should be some protection from company. That being said, 2year old battery, you would be on your own.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Unfortunately it looks like the Interstate warranty is only 12 months. This is the first I've heard of one going bad, especially in less then 2 years. Might be worth examining your battery maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails
battery_warranty.jpg  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
We purchase new home 2 years ago. First 3 months, dishwasher crapped out and heat pump not working properly. Builder took care of it all.
Think when brand new, should be some protection from company. That being said, 2year old battery, you would be on your own.
This is true, for a short term most builders will cover appliances. But, all they are doing really is handling the warranty replacement for the homeowner. They aren't covering the appliance.

There are many examples of Escape doing the same thing - replacing components for a certain period of time which are covered by a separate manufacturer's warranty . The fridges are a prime example. I can't tell you how many times I've read a thread where an appliance went out and Escape took care of it.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #11

And, if Escape is charging you $131 for a battery, you are getting a deal. My group 27 Trojan Deep Cycle cost me almost $300.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #12

You guys are fast off the draw... ?Retired??

Thanks for the replies so far.
Just so you don't get the impression I'm a total greenhorn...
trailer at time was 19months old. Battery stored in attached garage resting peacefully on a piece of plywood and trickle-charged during winter. Full quote from page 3 of users manual currently in my grubby hands:
Full Two -Year Warranty
Manufacturing defects reported to ETI within 2 years after original retail delv of new trailer witll be corrected without charge. Excluded are misuse and owner improper..... etc.

Escape Trailer Ind suppliers often provide additional warranty on their components beyond the ETI factory bumper-to-bumper warranty.
END QUOTE
There are no exclusions, footnotes, etc. I own a car. I've read the warranty and they go to great lengths listing just what is and is not covered. So I just expected that a statement of "bumper-to-bumper" meant exactly that. Call me an idealist....LOL
And thanks for the answers. I'll probably call them back and suggest that they at least rewrite the manual to explain what their warranty really means. I really want to like these guys. After all they are fellow Wackers....
Old 07-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #13

interesting what you scanned... It's not in my manual at all. what page?
I wonder if they have made a serious goof in a rewrite from your version.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #14

Pix are from my manual for a 2008 17B. Pages 1 and 2.
I'd take them up on the cheap replacement. Won't get better than that.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
That language seems to imply they even cover 3rd party components for two years and then there may be additional coverage beyond the two years on components. That certainly hasn't been the practice up till now. I picked up a couple of days after you, I'll need to take a look at the language in our copy of the warranty.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
This is true, for a short term most builders will cover appliances. But, all they are doing really is handling the warranty replacement for the homeowner. They aren't covering the appliance.

There are many examples of Escape doing the same thing - replacing components for a certain period of time which are covered by a separate manufacturer's warranty . The fridges are a prime example. I can't tell you how many times I've read a thread where an appliance went out and Escape took care of it.
100% agree.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #17

The "bumper to bumper" reference can be found on page 4 of the current manual. I think ETI should delete it, particularly because the trailer only has one bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 5.03.48 PM.png  
Old 07-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Costco sells the Interstate 6V here in the $80 range; no help for a Canadian I realize with the current exchange. They also warranty those deep cycle batteries for one year- period.

I see ETI edited their blurb about the two year warranty; previously it did state a "two year bumper to bumper warranty" on the main page of their website. Probably caused some problems in the past.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Well that mass production for you . Production ...UP :::::::: Quality ... Down .
It's nothing new . We've all seen it before .. Trailers no different ..
Old 07-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Well that mass production for you . Production ...UP :::::::: Quality ... Down .
It's nothing new . We've all seen it before .. Trailers no different ..
What are you suggesting?
You think that ETI should replace a two-year-old battery that may or may not have been properly maintained, when the manufacturer of the battery only warranties it for 12 months.
You think recent increasing production has something to do with this battery issue, when the trailer was built two years ago?
Or, are you being facetious ?