Water pump won't shut off until housing tapped - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2016, 12:30 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 escape 17B
Water pump won't shut off until housing tapped

New Artis Water pump pumps but won' t turn off until I tap the housing. Any suggestions?
dglasrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:49 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
My guess would be a bad pressure switch in the pump, as it's new, I'd take it back. Some have an adjustment screw, look in the manual if you have it and want to mess around.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
In my experience, if the pressure switch is sticking , adjusting the pressure setting or the range setting will not solve the problem.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I just installed one and when I first turn on the pump, it runs until I turn on a faucet, then it changes its sound and turns off after pressurizing the lines.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Don't know if this helps, we picked up our 5.0TA in May. The pump wouldn't stop pumping as it should when it becomes pressurized or when an open faucet is closed. I contacted Escape and they sent instructions to adjust the pump and problem solved.
bnjones173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjones173 View Post
Don't know if this helps, we picked up our 5.0TA in May. The pump wouldn't stop pumping as it should when it becomes pressurized or when an open faucet is closed. I contacted Escape and they sent instructions to adjust the pump and problem solved.
What were the instructions?
Old 06-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Sorry guys but I don't know how to include photos to this message, but here were the instructions.

Please use the instructions below to adjust the water pump and stop it from continuously cycling.

Using a 5/64" Allen wrench, back out the set screw that has 3 Philips head screws surrounding it. (Shown in Fig. 1) There is only a spring behind the screw, it will not leak if you completely remove the screw...however leave it inserted, just fully backed off.

Fig. 1 Fig. 2.

Then switch the water pump on with all faucets closed.

Slowly back out the set screw that has 4 Philips head screws surrounding it. (Shown in Fig. 2) Turning the set screw counter-clockwise until the pump stops.
bnjones173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Sorry guys but I don't know how to include photos to this message, but here were the instructions.

Please use the instructions below to adjust the water pump and stop it from continuously cycling.

Using a 5/64" Allen wrench, back out the set screw that has 3 Philips head screws surrounding it. (Shown in Fig. 1) There is only a spring behind the screw, it will not leak if you completely remove the screw...however leave it inserted, just fully backed off.

Fig. 1 Fig. 2.

Slowly back out the set screw that has 4 Philips head screws surrounding it. (Shown in Fig. 2) Turning the set screw counter-clockwise until the pump stops.
Can you tell me what pump you have ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
Water pump blues

We picked up our 19 on May 20 this year. Our Artist water pumpark worked well for a month then would not turn off when the faucets were shut. Escape sent us the same instructions as shown above and they worked. The set screw in figure one is the bypass pressure. The set screw in fig 2 is the shut-off pressure..

The instructions worked well but it was really hard to get at the business end of that pump. There were rubber and plastic plugs and covers over the set srew registers.

John
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John David View Post
We picked up our 19 on May 20 this year. Our Artist water pumpark worked well for a month then would not turn off when the faucets were shut. Escape sent us the same instructions as shown above and they worked. The set screw in figure one is the bypass pressure. The set screw in fig 2 is the shut-off pressure..

The instructions worked well but it was really hard to get at the business end of that pump. There were rubber and plastic plugs and covers over the set srew registers.

John
In 2013 they were using a different pump which I am on number 3 now . Ours is a Shurflo . Maybe you will have better luck with yours . I cut a access door out of bed ply so I can get to it easier. That really hurts laying on your side trying to get your arms in there . Now if I have to fiddle with pump I move bed out of way and sit on ply . I don't have the Escape mattress anymore . Have latex instead , so it rolls out of the way and is very comfortable . Good luck with your new pump . Pat
Old 06-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
can anyone post "fig#1" and "Fig#2" for clarification purposes, thanks.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #12

Quote:

Fig. 1 Fig. 2.

Here are the figures.

I tried the same instructions but unfortunately, I couldn't get the water pump to shut off, so it's back to customer support. At least I can still pump water and just shut off the pump at the switch as a workaround.
Attached Thumbnails
waterpump1.jpg   waterpump2.jpg  
Old 07-31-2016, 06:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by John David View Post
The instructions worked well but it was really hard to get at the business end of that pump. There were rubber and plastic plugs and covers over the set srew registers. John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
In 2013 they were using a different pump which I am on number 3 now . Ours is a Shurflo . Maybe you will have better luck with yours . I cut a access door out of bed ply so I can get to it easier. That really hurts laying on your side trying to get your arms in there . Now if I have to fiddle with pump I move bed out of way and sit on ply . Pat
Our Artis pump wouldn't stop either. I checked out the situation today. There's an access port cut in the plywood under the mattress with a thin plywood cover and no caps on the set screws. The build quality is always evolving. I just fiddled with the screws from the bottom and was successful, it seems. I've got a broken Shurflo pump from my previous trailer that I'll probably repair and carry as a spare. Seems like a weak link
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
Our Artis pump wouldn't stop either. I checked out the situation today. There's an access port cut in the plywood under the mattress with a thin plywood cover and no caps on the set screws. The build quality is always evolving. I just fiddled with the screws from the bottom and was successful, it seems. I've got a broken Shurflo pump from my previous trailer that I'll probably repair and carry as a spare. Seems like a weak link
If I have to go to number 4 , Oliver has changed to a pump called Remco I might try . Pat
Old 07-31-2016, 10:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
Glad they made you a access for your pump . I made my own . The bed is not escapes though so it will roll to the side . Latex and foam and air . That really hurt trying to get to pump . Pat
Old 07-31-2016, 11:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
If I have to go to number 4 , Oliver has changed to a pump called Remco I might try .
There are at least three Remco pumps in their Power RV line that would be suitable:
Aquajet

The Aquajet is variable-speed, so the pump speeds up and slows down as necessary to match the water flow determined by how much you have opened a faucet, instead of cycling on and off rapidly. Variable speed is nice, but it would be a feature upgrade from any Escape pump.

When I saw one of the other items in Remco's Power RV line I realized why the name was familiar to me: they make equipment for flat-towing a vehicle behind a motorhome. The Towing Pump is for circulating transmission fluid in an automatic transmission that is not supposed to be flat-towed; a motorhome owner told me his story of burning up multiple pumps due to a poorly designed installation advised by Remco. Maybe the pumps themselves are good...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are at least three Remco pumps in their Power RV line that would be suitable:
Aquajet

The Aquajet is variable-speed, so the pump speeds up and slows down as necessary to match the water flow determined by how much you have opened a faucet, instead of cycling on and off rapidly. Variable speed is nice, but it would be a feature upgrade from any Escape pump.

When I saw one of the other items in Remco's Power RV line I realized why the name was familiar to me: they make equipment for flat-towing a vehicle behind a motorhome. The Towing Pump is for circulating transmission fluid in an automatic transmission that is not supposed to be flat-towed; a motorhome owner told me his story of burning up multiple pumps due to a poorly designed installation advised by Remco. Maybe the pumps themselves are good...
I need to try something different for #4 Brian . I have a 22 year Shurflo on my water distiller never a problem . Had also each in previous RV's long life .Once a Year is a little unacceptable . Pat
Old 08-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I need to try something different for #4 Brian .
Once a Year is a little unacceptable .
I agree. I suppose any brand with a good recommendation could be worth trying.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree. I suppose any brand with a good recommendation could be worth trying.
Thanks for that . Pat
Old 08-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #20

The Artic replacement pump worked for a short while then began running all the time. It did pump water. I tried the adjustment as shown above but with no success. I asked Escape for a replacement and they said that Artis wants to deal directly with US customers. I called them. They told me that their pumps have a 2 year warranty. They told me that the adjustment instructions from Escape were wrong. You should turn the bypass adjustment all the way in, not all the way out, then adjust the pressure setting. I tried that but no luck, the pump still runs all the time. I sent the warranty paperwork to them and got an RA number, and I mailed the pump to them today. I hope they are as prompt in getting me a good pump as they are in getting me an RA number as right now I have no pump in place so the water system is out of commission.