Water pump won't shut off until housing tapped - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #41

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
On a just completed end of week trip, our Artis Water Pump also continued to run after closing the faucets. We were camping without hook-ups, so all water use was from our fresh water tank. In the Artis Trouble-Shooting Guide, they mentioned a "Low Battery" as a possible cause. We have the 160 W Solar with Dual 6's, but we're in heavy overcast skies and charging was slow. We noticed the pump worked fine when we were at 90% charge or better, but began to run continuously when the batteries were at 85% or lower. After this 'discovery', we were more frugal with our batteries, maintained at least 90% batteries, and the pump worked fine.
It was a good work-around, but not a permanent solution. We did not have the Artis Pressure Setting Instructions with us at the time, and our trailer is now at the storage yard. I won't be able to re-set the pressure and Test a more permanent solution until we again run our batteries down to 85% or below. Not an easy thing in sunny California.....Maybe when we head out to the coast again in September we will be blessed with a thick marine layer

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Here's the after market kit many folks install. https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59.../dp/B000WN5F96
Thanks for the link. I got one and it made the job of reattaching the pump a lot easier. I cut an access door into the bed as I understand ETI now does, and it will make servicing the pump a lot easier. I am still waiting for my warranty replacement from Artis, so I used the Shurflo that I repaired per Reace's instructions. I will leave the Shurflo in place unless (until?) it fails again, then replace with the Artis when (if?) it arrives.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #43

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
just ordered the Remco Aquajet variable speed water pump from Google Trusted StoreFresh Water Systems
5% Off All Orders
Expires in 22 days · Enter code at checkout
$ 141 with free shipping in USA
jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #44

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
On a just completed end of week trip, our Artis Water Pump also continued to run after closing the faucets. We were camping without hook-ups, so all water use was from our fresh water tank. In the Artis Trouble-Shooting Guide, they mentioned a "Low Battery" as a possible cause. We have the 160 W Solar with Dual 6's, but we're in heavy overcast skies and charging was slow. We noticed the pump worked fine when we were at 90% charge or better, but began to run continuously when the batteries were at 85% or lower. After this 'discovery', we were more frugal with our batteries, maintained at least 90% batteries, and the pump worked fine.
It was a good work-around, but not a permanent solution. We did not have the Artis Pressure Setting Instructions with us at the time, and our trailer is now at the storage yard. I won't be able to re-set the pressure and Test a more permanent solution until we again run our batteries down to 85% or below. Not an easy thing in sunny California.....Maybe when we head out to the coast again in September we will be blessed with a thick marine layer
Steve, I've adjusted my Artis according to the instructions by Escape and it worked flawlessly on our last trip With regards to your battery charge: the battery voltage at 75% would approximately 12.4 volts. At 100% you're probably looking at 12.7 volts +/-. That's not a very big change in voltage and its not likely to affect the pump.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
Steve, I've adjusted my Artis according to the instructions by Escape and it worked flawlessly on our last trip With regards to your battery charge: the battery voltage at 75% would approximately 12.4 volts. At 100% you're probably looking at 12.7 volts +/-. That's not a very big change in voltage and its not likely to affect the pump.
Thanks Dave, We are heading back to the coast next week for some more dry camping. I will have the ETI instructions with me, so if/when the problem recurs, I will be able to try the adjustment. I'm hoping a simple adjustment is all that is necessary. Thanks for the info!

Old 09-19-2016, 07:45 PM   #46

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
I also had a problem with the Artis pump not shutting off unless I "rapped" on it with my knuckle. Tried the steps suggested earlier in this thread by ETI and had success.

I recently left the trailer out at a relative's lake property for a couple of weeks (battery kill switch in "off" position like you're supposed to do). BTW we have the dual 6 volt set-up. After coming back and turning battery switch to "on" we were ready to camp some more. Battery indicator had 3 out of 4 LED's lit, interior lights and fantastic fan worked, fridge came on (propane), life is good.

When I hit the pump switch the pump would not quit running. Immediately after hooking up to shore power, I was able to get the pump to shut off. Things were still good after the batteries were charged and shore power disconnected.

Based on this experience I would say that the pressure switch on this particular pump unit is definitely sensitive to the voltage level supplied to it.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #47

Well huskersteffy.......

Prior to our trip where the Artis Pump continued to run with lower battery readings, I had turned the battery kill switch off for the first and only time. Debbie mentioned that, and I have not turned the switch off since. This past week-end, we camped in similar conditions to the time the pump continued to run, and the pump worked just fine. I haven't adjusted the pump yet, because it has been working fine. I do not plan on turning the switch off again.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Old 09-19-2016, 09:38 PM   #48

This is entirely possible. I just installed a new variable speed Remco (made in the USA) pump and had the same thing happen. My new pump won't shut off either. Makes a lot of gurgling noise as it primes and pumps up, but after reaching pressure it won't shut off either. I'll plug in tomorrow and hope it shuts off. In any event i'll keep the Remco as it is very quiet.
jerry
Old 09-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #49

Well, I hooked up power and charged batteries. Pump still runs after faucets closed. I can't find any leaks and after perusing pump manual have narrowed down to an air leak, as there is no water leaks anywhere. (I had trouble with the Artis pump not shutting off either). The Remco is very quite and works great, but won't shut off. Wish me luck.
jerry
Old 09-20-2016, 05:04 PM   #50

ha- found the problem. ETI had some cheap hose clamps on the flex hose that leaked air. I had to mount the pump on the deck per the instruction. This is better than the original mounted on the wall which vibrated like a drum.
Attached Thumbnails
20160920_120405.jpg  
Old 09-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #51

Thanks Jerry, and Good Troubleshooting! I will check for air leaks next time it runs-on...
Cheers

Old 09-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
ha- found the problem. ETI had some cheap hose clamps on the flex hose that leaked air. I had to mount the pump on the deck per the instruction. This is better than the original mounted on the wall which vibrated like a drum.
Nice install and what I want to go with for number 4 when that happens . Another item to keep a eye on is the filter . Mine was leaking air with the flat top being cut into which you couldn't see unless you looked at it very close . The metal screen cut into it . I replaced it with a little better domed one Shurflo has . Glad to hear the Remco is quiet . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #53

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
For what it's worth, Tammy advised me not to store anything in the bench compartment that has the water heater, pump, electrical, cord, etc.
I've not found that I needed the space anyway.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #54

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
My 6mo old Artis pump is giving about half pressure and will not shut off. The recommended adjustment did not work either. I did notice that the Artis instructions say if mounted vertically to always point the pump head down. ETI mounted mine facing up. Just wondering if that could be the problem?
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #55

Not likely. ETI replaced my broken Shurflo pump with an Artis pump which I mounted facing down. After a few weeks, it also started running all the time at reduced pressure. I contacted Artis as ETI suggested and they gave me adjustment instructions different from ETI instructions and that did not work so they replaced the pump under warranty. So far, so good.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
Not likely. ETI replaced my broken Shurflo pump with an Artis pump which I mounted facing down. After a few weeks, it also started running all the time at reduced pressure. I contacted Artis as ETI suggested and they gave me adjustment instructions different from ETI instructions and that did not work so they replaced the pump under warranty. So far, so good.
Hi Bill interesting . We are on our 3rd pump now with our trailer . I was wondering about whether or not pump should be laying down , could it be a problem or not ? My previous RV ' s had the pumps laying flat not attached to wall . Just curious about this Pat
Old 10-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #57

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Had I bought another Artis I would have mounted it as per the directions. That is, pump head down or horizontal. However, I went with a SureFlo Revolution. Hope it lasts longer than 6 months like the Artis.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
Had I bought another Artis I would have mounted it as per the directions. That is, pump head down or horizontal.
I didn't notice this direction until I read this posting. Since I mounted mine with the head up as ETI suggested, I guess I will need to remount it. I will probably mount it horizontal so that the adjustment screws are accessible without having to remove the pump. I really don't need another failed water pump.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I didn't notice this direction until I read this posting. Since I mounted mine with the head up as ETI suggested, I guess I will need to remount it. I will probably mount it horizontal so that the adjustment screws are accessible without having to remove the pump. I really don't need another failed water pump.
Bill do you think pump should be horizontal vs vertical ? Pat
Old 10-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Bill do you think pump should be horizontal vs vertical ? Pat
I only know what Artic says in their instructions, which is that the pump can be mounted either horizontally or vertically but if mounted vertically, it should be mounted with the pump head down. I plan to mount mine horizontally so that I can reach the pump head without dismounting the pump.